How Much Ammo Can I Bring Into Canada?

• fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Our cabin got broken into in Canada, and they stole all of our 12 Guage ammo for duck hunting. So we need to bring a bunch back up. My buddy says we’re limited to 400 rounds per person, and it’s been that way for the 42 years he’s been going up. But when I ask the Google machine, it takes me to the Canadian explosives act that says an individual can import 5,000 small arms rounds.

Does anyone here know for sure how much we can bring? And if there is any duty?

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

The way I read it you are correct 5000 rounds but you will pay duty on any rounds over 200. Very confusing I would contact the border agency in which you are crossing and verify that with them. Also have them email you the documentation so you can bring it with you when you cross.

Jason
    Participant

I am here hunting now. 200 rds without a duty fee is the law. I have never had to pay a duty in all my years though. I think it matters greatly on the border crossing you cross over at and if you have a PAL license on how they treat you. We brought over 1300 12ga rounds for 3 guys and had no fees. Currently laying in the field blind.

Attachments:
    1. 20221021_070336-scaled.jpg

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

I am here hunting now. 200 rds without a duty fee is the law. I have never had to pay a duty in all my years though. I think it matters greatly on the border crossing you cross over at and if you have a PAL license on how they treat you. We brought over 1300 12ga rounds for 3 guys and had no fees. Currently laying in the field blind.

Nice view! Good luck!

Where do you guys see the mention of duty?

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Ammunition, primers and powders
    As per the Explosives Regulations, 2013, Section 45, a person may import, export or transport explosives in-transit without a permit if the following conditions are met:

the explosive is imported, exported, or transported in transit for personal use and not for commercial purposes
    the explosive enters or leaves Canada with the person importing it; or exporting it or, if the explosive is transported in transit, it remains with the person transporting it at all times
    in the case of small arms cartridges, the cartridges do not include a tracer, incendiary or similar military component or device (for example, an armour-piercing handgun projectile)
    the quantity of the explosive being imported, exported, and transported in transit is not more than the quantity set out in the table
    Within the prescribed limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.

Information on permits to import personal quantities of explosives in excess of those outlined in the Explosives Regulations, 2013 or on importation for commercial purposes can be found in Memorandum D19-6-1, Administration of the Explosives Act, or by contacting Natural Resources Canada.

B-man
    Participant

1,300 rounds for one hunting trip??

What’s the bag limit in Canada?? jester

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Thanks. I didn’t read far enough.

deertracker
    Participant

I’ve never hunting in Canada. What’s the duty on a box of shells?
    DT

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

I’ve never hunting in Canada. What’s the duty on a box of shells?
    DT

I called up to the Rainy River Border Services Agency this morning to get confirmation of this. He confirmed 200 rounds without duty or tax. If more than 200 rounds and manufactured in US, no duty, but 13% tax. So you need to have a sales receipt with you.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

1,300 rounds for one hunting trip??

What’s the bag limit in Canada?? jester

Its 200 rounds for hunting… up to 1500 for a recognized shooting competition.

B-man
    Participant

Big-G I was referring to Jason who said they brought over 1,300 shells for three guys to hunt lol

I’m all about being prepared (I’m not the best shot), but that made me chuckle mrgreen

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Big-G I was referring to Jason who said they brought over 1,300 shells for three guys to hunt lol

I’m all about being prepared (I’m not the best shot), but that made me chuckle mrgreen

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol Gotcha !!! Yeah, that does seem excessive… doah

Jason
    Participant

Well the limit is 123 birds a day if you include geese, ducks, and cranes. Do the math on 7 days of hunting…

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

1300 / 3 guys = 433 Rounds / 25 rounds in a box = 17 boxes Each / 7 days = 2.5 Boxes a day. That sounds reasonable. When hunting Ducks, Snows, and Honkers in SD for many years it was not uncommon to shoot 3-4 Boxes of shells a day.

B-man
    Participant

Jason that makes more sense to me.

I was thinking 6 ducks and 3 geese a day like at home, 450 rounds seemed a little excessive for that mrgreen

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I typically get 2-3 birds per shot so…. depending on the flock mix. coffee

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.