How many here have landed a Muskie over 54″ ( Legal size in MN. )

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The PB post got me to thinking. How many here on IDO have ever landed a Muskie over 54″? If none over 54″, What is your largest landed ?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

PB pure strain is 44 inches.

PB tiger muskie is 41 inches.

The tigers don’t grow nearly as big. They are more on par with northern pike size.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

54 is my pb, it was on forest lake while bass fishing. 2nd biggest was on rush 52inch also while bass fishing.

54 hit a blacked out spinner bait ripping down the Lilly pads. Only evidence of this, my picture on Mike’s bait on 8.
    52 was a wacky worm in the pads.

I do not target musky. At least not very often

CaptainMusky

I got a 49.75″ without a tail pinch, but that is the biggest in my boat.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wow I bet that was quite a surprise.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

PB pure strain is 44 inches.

PB tiger <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskie is 41 inches.

The tigers don’t grow nearly as big. They are more on par with northern pike size.

When I first moved to the metro area in the late 1980’s they were stocking a fair # of Tiger’s as well as some Shoepack Strain in a fair amount of Metro lakes. Both Grew rather fast and were rather aggressive. This aggressiveness lead to a rather high catch ratio and thus not many of them survived long to grow to full size. I remember days where it was not uncommon to catch 6-8 in a single morning of fishing them on some lakes. If I remember correctly the Shoepack strain maxed out at about 40″ of growth with few of them ever reaching that size. It ended up being a rather failed attempt and they ended up changing over to more pure Muskie strains in future stockings.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I believe my Largest also came while Bass fishing. It was caught on a Dropshot rig on lake Minnetonka. Didn’t get a exact size on it, but feel like it was well in the upper 40’s. My guess would be 48-49″.
    I would almost bet as many or more BIG muskies are caught by Bass or Walleye fishermen, than by actual Muskie fishermen each year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If I remember correctly the Shoepack strain maxed out at about 40″ of growth with few of them ever reaching that size.

I saw a thing on MN Bound once about the Shoepack Strain. There is a wilderness lake in far northern MN that still has them and it requires a special permit to access the lake. They also limit the number of entries to the lake as well. Its nothing but Shoepack strain muskies.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    If I remember correctly the Shoepack strain maxed out at about 40″ of growth with few of them ever reaching that size.

I saw a thing on MN Bound once about the Shoepack Strain. There is a wilderness lake in far northern MN that still has them and it requires a special permit to access the lake. They also limit the number of entries to the lake as well. Its nothing but Shoepack strain muskies.

Cuz it’s Shoepack Lake….

Biggest for me was 47″ in Ontario. Also my first muskie ever.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I caught this one that was 55-57ish” on a 20” walleye I was reeling in on Mille Lacs. We only had a 30” bump board, so that’s why the range on size. And this was before the new regs and before I knew anything about musky.

Attachments:
    1. A51860A6-E8E4-41BD-8E19-CFABC17F05F0.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Cuz it’s Shoepack Lake….

Haha. That makes perfect sense then.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I caught this one that was 55-57ish” on a 20” <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye I was reeling in on Mille Lacs. We only had a 30” bump board, so that’s why the range on size. And this was before the new regs and before I knew anything about musky.

I’ve had several big ones latch onto both Bass and Walleyes on several different lakes. I have never managed to land one this way yet. Came real close on a big one on Tonka once. Had it almost into the net several times and it would let go of the bass just before we could get it into the net. Had we had a Muskie Sized net with, I think we could have landed it. It didn’t end well for the Bass. It was ripped up rather bad.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

’ve had several big ones latch onto both Bass and Walleyes on several different lakes. I have never managed to land one this way yet.

That was the only time I’ve had it happen, and it was crazy. Went on a couple runs and spit the walleye twice before attacking it again. Buddy made the net job of a lifetime with his Beckman extended handle walleye net fully extended, and netted about 75″ of fish at once. Pretty sure there was a thread started somewhere on here about it at the time, but I couldn’t find it after some googling.

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

54.5″ caught on Mille Lacs lake using a pear bulldog.

And yes….I released it.

WS

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Wow I bet that was quite a surprise.

They were both shocking. The big one on a spinner bait I thought i was snagged on a pad, so I was trying to whip the rod and un snag it before it all of a sudden toook a run.

The wacky worm was just a complete explosion the second my bait touched the water. I though for a second I had the state record bass until it got boat side.
    The few times I’ve actually tried targeting musky, I didn’t see or move any. So I just keep bass fishing musky lakes lol.
    Last year on vermillion my son had a upper 40ish one hit a walleye as I was about to net it. We ended up buying a few musky baits in tower and dragging them the rest of the weekend with no luck

buschman
    Pool 2

I have netted a 55 and two 53’s. My PB is 50.

The majority of 50+ were November fish too so they were chunks. Crapped all over the boat. All the big ones seem to do this to us.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

50-1/2” and 50-1/8” are my two biggest. (without tail pinching) Many, many in between 46”-49”. I get bass and walleye guys picking some up here and there. You don’t always have room for another 16oz steak but I bet you will grab that mint. As those muskies have. What amazes me more was a 22” walleye taking on a 10” crank bait. One day I hope to hit the 54”+ mark. PB tiger is 42-1/2″

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I think my chance of getting a 47’+ pike before getting a 54″+ muskie is rather good. Then again, I fish for Big pike several times each year. I don’t even remember the last time I fished for Muskie. I do think I may have to chase them a few times this next season, Got all the gear for it, so I might as well get more use out of it.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

My PB is 50”. Lots of high 30”s low 40”s fish. Few mid to high 40”s as well. I primarily fish metro lakes. Have had some big follows but cannot confirm if they were over 54”.

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

48.5″ fishing from shore below the dam in Brainerd. No net. Guy in a boat came to shore to help land it with his net.

duh queen

Now this is gonna sound like I’m lying, but it’s the God honest truth(I do fish, so I guess I’m predisposed).
    I have netted a quite a few, maybe a dozen, over 60. . . . . . . .

centimeters. ooops, I guess I didn’t read that right……but again I fish… whistling
    Truth be told, I’ve boated more trophy walleyes while pitching for muskys than muskys. There’s something about those monster spinnerbaits that appeal to them. If I ever start entering walleye tourneys, I’ll be spending a certain amount of time pitching musky spinnerbaits.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

My PBs are both 50″. First was out of the Croix and 2nd was up on Vermilion. Unfortunately, I’ve missed several that would have been bigger. 54 inches is very very big.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My PBs are both 50″. First was out of the Croix and 2nd was up on Vermilion. Unfortunately, I’ve missed several that would have been bigger. 54 inches is very very big.

Huge.

mojogunter

50″ on ML pulling a #6 husky jersey for walleyes in the fall. I thought I was snagged.

Attachments:
    1. IMG00066-20101023-1813.jpg

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Yep.
    The quality of the fishery and others’ willingness to release carefully are absolutely the biggest factors, as you can only catch fish that are present.

Attachments:
    1. yoyoyo2.jpg

2. gogogo2.jpg

mudhole

I have netted a 55 and two 53’s. My PB is 50.

The majority of 50+ were November fish too so they were chunks. Crapped all over the boat. All the big ones seem to do this to us.

That’s funny. Didn’t know this was a thing. Mine from the other thread made a mess of the house we were in.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I don’t muskie fish. My biggest is only 47”. It was caught casting a crank for smallies to an undercut bank on a river. I’ve never heard another IDO poster mention catching a Muskie on that river whatsoever..and I’ve been around here a long time (10+ years)

BrianF

I’ve landed a 57 (double 10’s) and a 55 (8” reef Hawg). My buddy also put a 55 in the back of my boat (pounder). All from Vermilion. Biggest tiger was a fat 45” – from Tonka of all places. These fish were released of course.

Not my boat and not my catch, but did have an assist on a massive out-of-season fish from Mille Lacs caught incidentally by my buddy while we were fishing for bass…landed by hand as we were without a musky net. We didn’t have a measuring device but this fish was the biggest either of us had ever seen.

A 54”+ is a rather special and rare fish for sure.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Got one boated so far.
    46.5 on Waconia – Double Cowgirl.

But I hear there’s some 50+ on Roosie. Ain’t that right glenn wink

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Biggest tiger was a fat 45” – from Tonka of all places.

That’s a rare fish because they aren’t stocked there. So it was a naturally produced one in your case. That’s a massive tiger too. A 40+ incher is like a 50+ inch pure strain.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.