How long can I continue?

• tim hurley

We had some people from Kansas City over for dinner yesterday. My wife’s friend’s son had many questions about ice fishing. He wondered how long I could continue ice fishing, given the stress and danger of the sport. Nice kid & smart, some kind of engineer, still he had the idea that I must break threw the ice at least 2-3 times a year!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

If you’re lucky, might make it a couple more years!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

As long as you physically can, Tim. The only limiting factor should be your health. That applies for a lot of other outdoor activities too.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

given the stress and danger of the sport.

I’m heading to Winnie tomorrow morning for a dangerous and stressful weekend, wish me luck everyone. mrgreen

tim hurley

They also wondered If I have ever caught a fish that would not fit threw a 10”hole!
    Told them that ice is actually very strong, out at Big Marine I would see a plane that would land and take off from the ice, figured I was safe walking out.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Nice kid & smart, some kind of engineer, still he had the idea that I must break threw the ice at least 2-3 times a year!

What kind of tall tales have you been feeding him?

shadedude60

My wife is so scared of the ice, so we took the ranger out then she was the 3500 trucks with the massive ice castles. She thinks they’re crazy.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My wife is so scared of the ice, so we took the ranger out then she was the 3500 trucks with the massive ice castles. She thinks they’re crazy.

Introduce her to “Ice Road Truckers”. grin

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I had to walk out yesterday because my sled wouldn’t stay running. Finally got that cardio my wife keeps telling me I need.

Told her it means I need a new sled. mrgreen

MX1825

Take your vitamins Tim. whistling

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I pretty sure that @edisonkate guy here could’ve written up a great segment on “Staying safe during Ice fishing continue.” Probably would’ve mentioned helmets, gloves, and hand warmers. waytogo

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Tell the kid to quit watching CNN and the daily news, maybe then they would have a grasp on reality and not a bunch of false percertions…

Hookset
    Southern MN

Tell the kid to quit watching CNN and the daily news, maybe then they would have a grasp on reality and not a bunch of false percertions…

Love it!!!!

tim hurley

Kid asked me if I wear a wetsuit! Yeah the news puts fear into my wife, they will show open water but its where a river is flowing into the lake. I will say she has gotten better, ever since I increased my life insurance (seriously)

James Almquist

I am sure that the kid hears lots of stories of people falling through because Kansas is not going to get thick ice like we have around here. Sometimes I wish we would get ice like we got when I was a kid but we rarely get 3 feet of ice anymore.

munchy
    NULL

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Just tell him if he was more god like as you are. He could also walk on water.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

as long as you wear 2 masks and stay 6 feet apart….. you’ll be safe.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

An engineer should be able to calculate the strength of the ice….but there isn’t a manual so that might be the holdup… whistling rotflol chased

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

as long as you wear 2 masks and stay 6 feet apart….. you’ll be safe.

Lol this one got me.
    Go get a shot and you’ll be safe on the ice

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Kid asked me if I wear a wetsuit! Yeah the news puts fear into my wife, they will show open water but its where a river is flowing into the lake. I will say she has gotten better, ever since I increased my life insurance (seriously)

I’d be careful and make sure you are not worth more to your wife dead than alive. You may find her pushing you out onto a 1/2″ of ice rotflol

MX1825

Did you increase her life insurance also? devil

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

Op must have small feet kiddo fell in up to his nuts stepped into a hole today on one leg.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

engineers are the best mrgreen

usually no real world experience just CAD drawings and office work

tim hurley

Oh Thump I am worth more dead than alive, not even close.
    Her insurance?No-and BTW do not ever kill your wife, for good important moral reasons (well also no matter what you come up with they will always know its you, they will ask you to re-tell the story that you come up with over and over and over, they had this guy on TV he said his wife ‘fell’ off a cliff, he stuck to his story NO witnesses, he is now in jail.My wife could off me, shed a few tears & collect all the money! Just make it quick!)Anyway, happy new year everyone!

Musky Ed

Wife’s niece came up from Louisana many years ago for Christmas, and we decided to take her, and whoever else would go, ice fishing. I kid you not, while we were getting ready, she asked how we could launch a boat with ice on the lake. We never let her forget that.

MX1825

Wife’s niece came up from Louisana many years ago for Christmas, and we decided to take her, and whoever else would go, ice fishing. I kid you not, while we were getting ready, she asked how we could launch a boat with ice on the lake. We never let her forget that.

Should of told her you were gonna fish from shore! whistling rotflol

tim hurley

From shore, rod rigged with a Hula Popper!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The idea of walking and even driving on ice is obviously something we grow up with here in the north, but I’ve noticed that if you did NOT grow up with the concept, it’s really unsettling.

My inlaws from New Zealand were here on Christmas and high on their have to do list was to walk on a frozen lake. I mean, to them it was like skydiving or bungee jumping or something like it was something you should only do with professional guides and proper training.

So we went to a local lake and we stopped on the shore to see if they were ready. Unbeknownst to them, the “shore” due to the snow cover wasn’t really visible and we were already out on the ice. So I “walked out” to the first clear spot and my BIL was super cautious and uneasy, but he finally walked out to join me. My SIL however, totally lost her nerve and would not come out. Too dangerous.

So we walked back and then I scraped the snow aside to show the SIL that she had been standing on the ice the whole time. I thought she was going to faint. And then kill me. Afterwards she admitted that it had been worth it, but never again as a person can only defy death so many times.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.