How is the bite?

• WinnieWalleye

Will be up to Winnie the 3rd week of June. How was the opener and how is the bite going so far? Can’t wait to spend a week on the lake!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Will be up to Winnie the 3rd week of June. How was the opener and how is the bite going so far? Can’t wait to spend a week on the lake!

reports from htat neck of the woods are hard to come by, sorry i couldnt help.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i sent you a PM!!

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I was out today. Everything is biting. Walleyes, gators, perch, crappies. I only used jigs today but water is in mid 60s for temp so leeches and lindys might be a good idea shortly. I fished 6-20’. Fish are spread out a bit. Lots and lots of traffic might have caused this, but it also could be that they are starting to trainsition. It seems early on the calendar to say that but the water temps are warm enough for it.

By mid June you will want Lindy rigs with crawlers and leeches and spinners with crawlers and leeches. I like gold blades on winnie.

I should make it out there a few more times between now and your trip. I’ll try to post a report.

billy03z71

Any more recent reports? Heading up Thursday and can’t wait! Been following jeff sudins reports but curious on anyone else’s input.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Was out with my daughter on Saturday, we doubled up with some nice ones and got a few small ones too . We were pulling spinners in twenty one feet. Leeches and fatheads are what we were using. We were using gold and red spinners.

Attachments:
    1. AD5A9F9A-3135-43BB-ACED-185B609BB7A6-scaled.jpeg

2. EF400F77-1193-449C-B82F-0EFD6A69BC51-scaled.jpeg

billy03z71

Was out with my daughter on Saturday, we doubled up with some nice ones and got a few small ones too . We were pulling spinners in twenty one feet. Leeches and fatheads are what we were using. We were using gold and red spinners.

nice looking fish! Thanks for the report

Deuces

Heading up tomorrow am, thanks for reports toast

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

It’s been great!! Plenty of big fish and lots and lots of small fish. I have been out a handful of times this year. It’s been good to incredible each time. The slot fish are why I go there because if you find an active school of them, you’re in for a real fun day.

Please consider releasing the smaller ones. As tempting as it is to fill the box with them, they are the future. And don’t fish them in the river channel in 35 feet of water either. That is equally as bad.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Good stuff, I think we may fish Winnie this weekend which will be my first time in the summer. Coming from the cities and staying in Nevis, any recommendations on which access to use (Preferably on the south or west side)? Best place to get a bite to eat on the lake? And are you guys fishing mid lake structure or off the shoreline break?

Rainylakefisher

Nodak Lodge has a nice protected harbor on the south side. $12 to launch. There’s a public access on the SW corner that I’ve used in the past, but have heard of some crime problems there too. $12 is cheap insurance to me.

Rainylakefisher

We fished on Saturday and caught lots of fish, but kept none. Only two slot fish (19″ & 21″) early in the day, otherwise it was 13″ and under all day. I won’t keep anything under 14″ unless I absolutely need to eat that day. I wish more people would throw the 12-14″ fish back, but you see a LOT of them in the gut buckets.

Andrew Gilberg

I’ve been out a few times this year. Lots of 12-13 inchers with some slot fish mixed in.
    We had our best luck this last weekend in 27-28’ on leeches. Not exactly ideal fishing conditions though.

Attachments:
    1. C7677EFA-A589-4018-94EB-8099F69C0751-scaled.jpeg

Deuces

Last week was up for few days, had good luck for the most part. Hot sunny days throughout. Jig and minnow bite was good early late. Find the pods of fish and jig em, rigging wasn’t as effective. They liked a lil jiggle to em. Boat that had dead shiners did just as good as live ones!

Spinners on bbs took over midday, crawler or even perch paddles worked for the meat. Small perch original floater also produced midday on the bb. Found fish anywhere from 18-26′. Bounce around.

Cutfoot weedlines put out lots of snakes. Makes for fun catching. Nice mid 30s fish was all I could muster for size but good fight.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210609_012035331.MP_-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We fished Winnie Friday afternoon into the evening, launched at NoDaks which was a nice landing/parking, caught about 16 eyes and 7 pike. Half the eyes were too small, and a few in the slot up to 23″. Caught half on leeches half on crawlers, seemed like the smaller ones liked the crawlers more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.