How far will you go?

• Aaron Kalberer

Just wanted to see how far back in the sticks people are willing to go to get to there fishing holes. I have a few walleye havens that I can no longer get to beings I went from a 2004 Silverado 1500 crew cab short box 143″ wheel base to a 2008 duramax crew cab standard box 153″ wheel base. I no longer fit down those trails. Lets see or hear some stories how far back you will go to get to some secluded fishing.

This pic is from a early spring fishing trip for crappies. Had to bust out the chainsaw and almost needed a winch to back out, the fishing was well worth it but made me wonder my sanity at times on the drive in.

Attachments:
    1. 146.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Sticks?! Heck, drive through the heart of Minneapolis to get to some spots. Chainsaws are manageable, try avoiding a BLM march, or MPD bullets.

At this point I’m just glad I’m not black or a pitbull. chased

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Sticks?! Heck, drive through the heart of Minneapolis to get to some spots. Chainsaws are manageable, try avoiding a BLM march, or MPD bullets.

rotflol rotflol rotflol No thanks, I’ll pass!

Charles

Nah find the fish, another reason I have been pondering a kayak lol.

I have a few spots that are up in the sticks and I recently just started carrying a chainsaw and a come along in my car when I take my boat out on these journeys. lol.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The adventure is sometimes better than the fishing.

Back in the 90’s may dad and I went 10+ miles on one of those to a lake that a local used to do well on but hadn’t been there for a few years. The drive was like yours but the fishing was terrible. The road was overgrown for good reason. Great memory though.

Aaron Kalberer

Is this in northern mn?

I guess it depends on your definition of Northern, it would be in the Detroit Lakes / Park Rapids area of MN.

rotflol That sounds like a pita, glad I am where I am!

tim hurley

Check out Cruiser lake-1st you take a canoe accross Vermilion leave your canoe at the trail head then hike you gear over a hilly winding trail. Coming back the wind was so strong we could not make it across Vermilion, then we almost got rammed by a huge boat who clearly did not see us. Mostly though I love to go to lakes that are hard to get to its part of the adventure and you are usually (not always!) rewarded with great fishing and a quiet lake.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Can one assume you’re ruling out multiday remote camping trips by foot or canoe. It’s a fairly common idea and can allow access to waters you cant drive to.

Aaron Kalberer

I am not ruling out anything just like to hear of peoples adventures going into the hard to reach areas, whether you can drive there or walk. I love multi day hike in trips on some of the larger tracts of tax forfeit land in my area.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Harder to get to the better. Have one trout lake we like to partidge hunt on way in and cast from shore have struck and have had some luck. Trip like that a couple fish and couple birds equals a good time. Did it in the rain once that was a death march

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

Well….each spring I drive 9.5 hours to Port Clinton Ohio to fish for a week and they don,t have a Starbucks.

jwellsy

Well….each spring I drive 9.5 hours to Port Clinton Ohio to fish for a week and they don,t have a Starbucks.

They do have Put-In-Bay toast

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Yellow Fever wrote:</div>

They do have Put-In-Bay toast

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 75.05%;”><iframe id=”fitvid806088″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/9uuyI6muLqE?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div></div>

ill go pretty far for that

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

So…there is a STARBUCKS at Put In ? Just Kidding, Possibly a side trip coming up

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Heck I can drive 35 minutes to see a bunch of rich stuck-up white chicks in bikinis at a couple bars on Tonka if I wanted that coffee

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.