How do you haul your deer out of the woods?

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

In the past I’ve been always hunted on our property and had an ATV available for deer recovery. This past weekend I was lucky enough to harvest my deer in a metro area hunt where ATVs weren’t allowed. I’ve always planned to use my Otter sled for this type of situation and it worked even better than I had envisioned. I was able to drag and load a 185# dressed buck by myself with no issues at all. It worked great for crossing downed trees and even a bit of water.

How does everyone else get your deer out of the woods? If you haven’t considered it I would highly recommend bringing your Otter sled along to hunting camp.

Will

Attachments:
    1. Otter-Sled-2.jpg

2. Otter-Sled-1.jpg

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Otter sled or the likes I find to be pretty slick for hauling deer, I have also quartered and packed and in the thick young growth stuff a very cheap down hill sled cinched tight around the deer like a taco shell has worked well as well. I prefer the method you used as they drag easier as long as there is not too much young growth forest.

Charles
    Participant

Otter Sled or kids sled works good.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Its why I had kids. I tell them to each grab an antler and pull. Then I just smile and watch. LOL

Nice Fella
    Participant

If I ever see a shooter in northern WI again I’ll let you know what I used.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I use a utility sled similar to an Otter. I also metro hunt, so I drag it through the woods to the limits of the lawnmower, then hook it to that to drag up the hill. Works like a charm. My area is FULL of hills, so it can be a bear to get it to where the lawnmower can finish the drag. I keep at sled at the entrance to the property. It works great for everything from dragging stands out to hauling deer in. I’ve once even used it to float across a flooded trail to my stand to keep my boots dry.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have to climb a mountain of a hill to get to my stand. By ‘mountain” I mean an ATV cannot climb this from the side I go up on. One the other side of the property the woods are more clear but its still god awful steep so any critter I get is pulled to the drop-off point and bid adieu. They usually end up about 50 feet from the road where the grade flattens out, but that 50 feet is almost straight down too. I’ve pulled deer out on the side I go up on but its work and the deer spend as much time out of a sled as in it. The clearer side will allow an avt to negotiate it but we have to leave the hill and get permission to enter with one and less time is spent farting around by just letting the critter slide down on its own.

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I will have to keep that in mind. We recently lost ATV access to part of the area we hunt so it’s on foot from now on. I was considering some type of cart but already have an Otter sled.

I take it’s a good option without snow as well?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I will have to keep that in mind. We recently lost ATV access to part of the area we hunt so it’s on foot from now on. I was considering some type of cart but already have an Otter sled.

I take it’s a good option without snow as well?

I little more drag but not bad at all… The key is to use a longer rope so that when dragging all of your effort goes into pulling forward and very little wasted pulling up on the sled. I use a 30# section of heavy rope that I can loop over my shoulders when pulling the sled. The heavier rope keeps it from cutting into your shoulder like a thin lighter-weight rope would.

The biggest advantages that a sled offers is it has less problems going over rougher ground, over small brush, or downfalls. And also once I get to the truck I’m able to prop the front of the sled up on the tailgate, then lift from the back and slide a big deer in very easily and without ever needed to climb into the back of the truck (even better since I have a topper).

Will

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Another big bonus for using a sled. No blood is spilled in the bed of your pickup when hauling the deer home for final cleaning/butchering.

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

When pulling the sled, could you use a tree stand safety harness to hook the rope too as to not have uneven tugging across your shoulders?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Each time we’ve tried the sled number we did like the pictures show and just laid the animal in the sled and away we went. When it got steep the critter would simply slide out of the side of the sled. I’m going to drill some 5/16″ holes along each side, maybe 4 or 5, so some rope can lace the animal down and keep it from sliding off the sides of the sled on the steep hillsides. We’ll pull some gear up with the sled and use it if we get animals to see how it works with one tied down.

sorgy
    Participant

I have a heavy toboggan Orange in color- have seen it in Camo as well. Aprox 4.5′ long and has holes along the ridge to tie off a deer. It is narrow and one nice buck fits perfect. slides along and over logs. It saves lots of energy.
    Tie the buck to the sled and then pull on the deer.
    I have found these toboggans at Joe’s and a local hardware store. Currently $39.99

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’ve never had to do that for a deer Tom, but I do a fair amount of remote access ice fishing and I simply hook a ratchet strap across my sled and tighten it down. I’ve been able to get by with simply hooking under the lip on the sides of the sled for but for really holding it tight with a deer I’d think it would work great.

Will

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

When pulling the sled, could you use a tree stand safety harness to hook the rope too as to not have uneven tugging across your shoulders?

You could probably do that but since most safety harnesses have the attachment point at shoulder height you would want to modify to add an attachment further down.

There are actually several harnesses on the market made for pulling a sled.

http://www.sportsfanoutlet.com/multi-purpose-sled-harness-and-tether.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo9jo6ISe1wIVSbjACh2_hwVNEAQYBSABEgJ3G_D_BwE

I personally like using the long, wide rope where I can adjust it frequently by using only my arms for a while, putting it over one shoulder for a while, switching to the other shoulder, or even lowering down so it is across my hips. The helps to give each group of muscles a break while still continuing to walk. Doing it this way I’m able to pull a sled a long way with minimal stops.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Heavy Hauler makes a great deer drag harness that works perfect on sleds.

For those old enough to remember the 2 man sno-boats, mine ripped apart. That sled has been one of the most useful sleds around my farm. From skidding deer, brush, garbage, barrels, logs… with or without snow, it works

Sam
    Participant
    St.Francis

I have always hunted on my own property since we own a little over 300 acres of oak woods so it’s always been the atv or skid loader hauling deer out

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I use a dragging harness and about 10′ rope.
    Drag head first.

But I prefer to have a kid just out of highschool grab a leg and run!

Besox
    Participant

Nice buck!

Sarah Vanden Avond
    Participant

There is a new product designed especially for getting deer and bear out of the woods! It’s called the Lil Skidder Portable Pulling Device! Video of the product in use is available on the website; 2 more are available on its YouTube page. This product is officially available for purchase on the website: http://www.lilskidder.com

Jeff mattingly
    Participant
    Lonsdale, Mn

There is a new product designed especially for getting deer and bear out of the woods! It’s called the Lil Skidder Portable Pulling Device! Video of the product in use is available on the website; 2 more are available on its YouTube page. This product is officially available for purchase on the website: http://www.lilskidder.com

Good luck on that one…. can do the same thing with rope and 2 way pulley, that you can haul in a back pack. At this point why don’t you just buy a quarter of a mile of rope or cable and pull it out with your truck a quarter a mile away. The public land I bow hunt i would have to push it, or drag a dolly with an engine on it up a bluff and back down the other side. Then when your going down hill you would have to stop, let out your rope again. When it would be easier to grab a leg and literally run down hill if you wanted. Oops, then I would have to walk back the bluff to retrieve my engine on a dolly. In the crappy you tube video on your website, an average man or woman could drag a deer in a sled twice as fast then your machine in a level open forested floor. Plus, when you drag a deer you can pull upward force to get it over obsticules. Your machine just drags forward and down making the deer catch everything on the forest floor. Rant over, I see no spot for this in the deer woods. Maybe im wrong.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

From the makers of “BiteSureCatch.com” we bring you Lilskidder…

Sarah Vanden Avond
    Participant

You know what, Jeff mattingly, you ARE wrong. So you’re going to sit and putz with setting up ropes and 2 way pulley system and anchoring this system to 2 different trees, and once you finally have it all set up, then you can start pulling… when you could just pull the tether, start the engine and hit the throttle. By the way, the machine tops out at 70 pounds, pulls like it’s 40-50. It’s so easy. It’s not just “a dolly with and engine on it”. There is so much more to it. There are teeth that dig down, so that you don’t need to dick around with anchoring it to anything. You don’t need a significant amount of upper body strength to be able to operate it. There are gears in place that ensure the rope winds up nicely and pulls out the same way. There is a clasp on the end that can be hooked around the deer’s neck or to a sled, such as the otter sled mentioned in the original question posted.

Just because this isn’t a beneficial machine for you, doesn’t mean it won’t be helpful to other people.

Example #1 of why you are wrong: I like it because, frankly, I’m going to pull the “I’m a girl” excuse. I don’t have much upper body strength. I can barely pull 70 pounds back on my bow, so you know damn well, I (the average female) can’t pull even a small 110 pound deer out by myself without a massive amount of backbreaking hassle, if I can do it at all because I hunt in a ravine (Wild apple trees galore, I’d be an idiot not to hunt there.) The Lil Skidder gives me autonomy as hunter that I didn’t have without it. I can go out in the woods and shoot a deer and I don’t have to be that little girl and call daddy to come and help me. That is why I like it. That is why it is a good investment for ME.

Example #2 of why you’re wrong: I know someone who was an avid hunter before an accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down. He’s still an avid hunter, but with this machine, he doesn’t have to call someone to help him. He has that freedom back that he lost 15/20 years ago when he lost the use of his legs. He saw this machine in its prototype-not-yet-patented days and wanted to steel the idea because he liked it so much.

Now these are just two examples of myself and one other that have physical limitations that keep them from fully enjoying a sport that they love. You don’t need a physical impairment to use it. Love hunting, but hate the work it takes to get the deer out. Use this machine. No mess, no ropes to untangle. Just start it up and go. I’ve seen young men, without any physical impairments, whom I hunt with, that love this machine because despite your presumptive accusations, cuts down on the time it takes to pull a deer out of the woods by hand.

So, seriously, dude, it may not be the right machine for the landscape that you hunt on. Here’s a crazy idea, if it is not going to benefit you, don’t buy it. But, don’t cut it down and make it seem like a useless piece of crap simply because it doesn’t benefit you personally. That doesn’t mean that it’s not right for someone else or won’t be a successful invention.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

LOL!

deertracker
    Participant

You will sell many after calling someone a douchebag online… doah
    DT

deertracker
    Participant

Also, this post was about hauling a deer out of public land where motors can’t be used.
    DT

Sarah Vanden Avond
    Participant

Well, good thing I’m not the owner, just a satisfied customer. One who is defending her suggestion since it was ripped apart without good reason and not in a very constructive way.

And you may also want to specifically read the public land ordinance because I believe it outlaws the use of a motorized vehicle, such as an ATV. So if that is the case, this puller does not qualify as a vehicle. The engine does not make the entire product move foreword, just pulls the rope in.

Jeff mattingly
    Participant
    Lonsdale, Mn

I think I hit a nerve? Well, didn’t ruin my day. Still don’t see a need public or privately for it. “Just my opinion though.” Don’t let it ruin your day Sarah.

wildfan
    Participant
    Ogilvie Minnesota

I’ve always thought this to be the easiest way ????

Attachments:
    1. 314A5CC3-3E1A-491B-9A2C-35FECF2274CF.jpeg

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Deer Cart
    Bet mine is a whole lot lighter and cheaper. It really moves the animal quite easily, setup is a snap and very quick.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.