Muskie Stocking – Email SRCL Board Members

• JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Email the board members of the Sauk River Chain of Lakes and let them know you are in FAVOR of Muskie Stocking in the chain!

http://www.srcl.org/

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Can I ask a question?

Why would I be in favor of it?

Why would I not be in favor of it?

That’s two questions…but I’m thinking I should know the details prior to sending an email.

timmy
    Participant

I have sent my email in that I am NOT in favor of it.

brad0383
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Why would you not be in favor of it?

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Why would you not be in favor of it?

He can’t spear them.

timmy
    Participant

LOL at pug….

I have some various personal reasons why I think that chain is a bad choice. The easy navigation and spread of the fish in such a riverine environment is one of them.

Muskies are a rare, top-end fish and stocking them should be closely looked at, because un-stocking them if it is a mistake won’t happen. I am not against stocking them, I just don’t think this is a good lake for it.

T

brad0383
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I understand the spearing regulations that go along with muskie lakes. I have yet to see a bad result from muskie stocking. Correct me if I am wrong, but I can’t name one muskie lake that is not a good multi-species fishery. As far as a bad lake choice due to a chain of lakes. Some of the best muskie fisheries are chains. Cass, all the flowages in Wisconsin, to some extent, Leech.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Quote:

LOL at pug….

I have some various personal reasons why I think that chain is a bad choice. The easy navigation and spread of the fish in such a riverine environment is one of them.

Muskies are a rare, top-end fish and stocking them should be closely looked at, because un-stocking them if it is a mistake won’t happen. I am not against stocking them, I just don’t think this is a good lake for it.

T

The river fed issue was one that I had concerns about as well in the beginning, but the DNR knows what it’s doing, they wouldn’t have the SRCL as a candidate if that was an issue. This stocking debate has been talked about for years, it’s not a split second decision.

timmy
    Participant

Quote:

As far as a bad lake choice due to a chain of lakes. Some of the best muskie fisheries are chains. Cass, all the flowages in Wisconsin, to some extent, Leech.

Cass, winnie, leech, etc……native fish, not an introduced population.

On a personal level, I dislike the regulations that usually follow. Typically, after a lake takes off as a musky lake, the pike fishing (spearing) regulations are implemented. MI argues that spearing bans are not the norm, but the special trophy pike slots that get implemented are typically an effective ban anyways. Vermillion comes to mind right away. The pike population was great, and was trophies were present. It was my favorite spearing lake……The muskies really took off, and what follows…..a restrictive ban that essentially prohibits spearing. That is something I do not agree with.

A special interest group comes in, gets their pet project pushed through, then bullies the DNR and the long standing traditions in the area are put aside so they can get their way…… Muskies Inc is NOT on my Christmas card list.

T

brad0383
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I agree with you. It is very political. Muskies Inc has some serious pull with the DNR. Maybe you need to start Spearing Inc.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The MN Catfish and Sturgeon Alliance was formed last Thrusday. Today we boast 41 members and growing.

Tomorrow we’ll be bullying the DNR. (sorry for the bullhead pun)

I would like to see populations of sturgeon that would allow for spearing. WhooHooo!

blackduck
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

Do Muskie eat 1 lb Channel Cats? If so, then I would possibly be in favor of the stocking. That chain is over run with small Channel Cats. I think they stocked those in there in the 1980’s.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.