It’s that time of year…

• JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Fishing is getting good on the SRCL, Bass are hitting anything shallow, Walleyes should begin putting on the feedbags over the next weeks weeks…was out last weekend and even though the weather sucked, fish were still biting…This recent cooldown should send the water temps falling and fish biting.

bob schroden
    Participant
    Cold Spring, MN

2 Inches of snow here and 22 degrees.

Better get them docks out, ice is a coming!

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Nah, supposed to be 60 degrees on Sunday…I’m rigging up a winch system that can hopefully pull in the lifts by itself..everything comes out of the water in 2-3 weeks…it’s primetime fishing right now…

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Took my last serious fishing vacation days of the year Mon & Tues, biggest Walleye was a 26.5 incher (released) lost 2 others that were significantly bigger! (It’s tough to keep those larger fish hooked when they head shake like that!) Caught a few Northerns over 7 lbs, It makes me feel good about the long term outlook of the SRCL when fish that big continue to swim and reproduce…Also did some extensive exploring with the underwater camera, lots of trees all over the place on the bottom of Ceder Island, cool stuff! I definately have some new spots to check out when the water freezes..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

With this little warm up you might get back out there on soft water yet. Things are looking great through the end of the week.

Thanks for the report.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

indeed, but my boat is now in storage and all the docks & lifts are out of the water…getting the portable fish house and sled all ready to go…Had good luck with big Walleyes this fall, best I’ve seen in years on the chain…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My guess is those big walleyes will be right where you left them come first ice.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

I don’t mess with early ice, especially on the chain with it’s current.. I venture out in mid/late december

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I don’t mess with early ice, especially on the chain with it’s current.. I venture out in mid/late december

I hear ya’. Nobody needs to lose a father/brother/husband over a few fish.

jigginjim
    Participant
    Buffalo, MN. USA

Which boat ramp do your use? I live in Buffalo, had thought of doing a fall run, the chain is about 45min. to hour away.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

It’s my opinion that the HW71 launch on Ceder Island is the best, it has more space to back up your rig and is plenty deep. The HW22 launch has current which can make loading a bit of a pain, plus it hasn’t been plowed in many years so it has tons of ruts in the gravel…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.