We’ve got ice

• scottsteil
    Central MN

As of this weekend we have about 4 to 4 1/2 inches of ice on the Chain. We are starting to see a few houses out and the walleye fishing has been pretty good according to the reports.

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Do you know if anyone’s fishing off of Hamer’s Point? I can’t wait until the cat bite starts!

scottsteil
    Central MN

No one has been to Hammers Point yet that I know of. I saw someone get really close checking the ice but they turned around 3/4 of the way there.

The cat bite is going already. There are other spots that are accessable by foot already where you can pick up cats.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I tend to head up that way during the season and get some of those cats, If you won’t mind sharing some of the early season keys for getting these cats? i usually tend to find the breaks that run quickly into deeper water.

A

scottsteil
    Central MN

Alphid, if I recall you fished with Mykal last year. The cat bite is just starting to get going. Yes, sharp breaks to deep water is your best bet for consistant action. The action is better early to mid ice and can get tougher as it gets later. I like to fish them suspended over the deep water because that bite usually lasts longer into the day.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Yep, I fish with Mykal up there a good amount of times.
    I am hoping to get up there soon as I love tangling with those fish. It seems as though some of my key areas are getting a little more crowded these days, so I am going to have to go looking.
    Thanks again.

A

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Scott, the consistancy slowed later in the year, but we still had some banner days on the Cats late in the year, along with some bent hooks and broken line. There are some BIG fish in there, and their smart too.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Mykal, let me know before you come. I have several great cat spots that no one fishes. You will have these all to yourself.

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Scott, you got it!

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Scott! I’m heading up on Sunday. Please shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Talked to my Mom and Dad who live on Browns lake this morning, they moved the fishouse down to the lake yesterday and plan on having it out sunday if the cold continues. She said they had good ice about 4 inches thick.
    Getting close now.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Where is Hammer point? Is it near Krons bay?

scottsteil
    Central MN

Hammers point is near Krons Bay, actually between Krons Bay and Highway 22.

I know guys that are fishing on Eden with 5 inches of ice, Long Lake 5 inches, Brown 4-5 inches, the Chain, 5-6 inches (some thin spots), Becker 6 inches. Those are yesterdays ice reports.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.