The Bite

• scottsteil
    Central MN

Well, I decided to hit the Chain last night. The water is still very high, so I decided to take the family out for some panfish action. It didn’t take long to get into the nice sunnies and crappies. The pond weed has died off and it makes fishing the weed lines very easy. The water is stained from run-off but the algea is not a problem at all. The fishing was very good as we boated several limits of nice gills and slabs. Next week it may be time to get back at chasing some walleye. Off to the Big Pond for now!

noska

Scott-

the wife and i fish the chain alot, we were out there on Wed. night from about 4pm til 9pm and had an awful bite….except the mosquitos

we fished cedar island and keatter. we usually go after bass and panfish and do pretty well with leeches and angle worms. of course we always end up with our share of catfish. but we couldnt buy a bite. the spots that were good before the lake has risen so high were worthless. we ended up with5 catfish in 4 5 hours, pretty rough.

any suggestions? any spots that you can recommend in such a high water situation?

thanks in advance!
    noska

scottsteil
    Central MN

Noska, with the high water I am sure you noticed the water was very stained in color. The panfish are much shallower then other years. Friday, I was out and caught a bunch of very nice gills and a mess of small smallies. My suggestion would be to target shallower water, somewhere in the 6-9 ft range. I think you will find these depths to be full of “life”. Let us know how it goes.

noska

any suggestions for fall smally fishing on the chain i have fished the chain for the past 4 years and never caught a smally. any suggestions on lakes,spots, and baits we can try

thanks in advance
    noska

scottsteil
    Central MN

I have been getting a lot of smallies lately. Top water over 10-12 ft of water. All you have to do is look for them. They are pretty active on calm days and you can easily locate them without electronics.

As for the fall, well, I don’t fish smallies in the fall. Tournaments start back up for me in Septmember and that keeps me busy through mid October.

noska

i think we are fishing the wrong lakes, we fish keatter and cedar island, and i dont think either of those lakes have many smally’s in them, are you mostly fishing horshoe?

scottsteil
    Central MN

Yes, if I was looking for smallies I would check out the River Channels and Horsehoe. The smallies seem to really like those areas.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.