Horseshoe Musky

• BBKK
    IA

So anyone know how many musky got poked in becker or across the chain? Read an article back when they stocked it that they were worried in the slightly murky water that they would be confused with northern and get speared. I didnt believe it, but who knows.

Anyone know if any where caught last fall? I’m thinking about taking the big rods up there this year and spend a day or two throwing some big baits around the chain.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

They’ll only be like 20-25″ leave the big rods at home and give them another 7years to grow.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

They’ll only be like 20-25″ leave the big rods at home and give them another 7years to grow.

How about the two 30″+ that were caught last July? They’ll have to be upper 30’s by next summer. Besides, there are some nice pike in there that I would like to tangle with on some proper gear. Bass fish all day and dont catch a single one then go walleye fishing in the evening and get bit off all evening.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

what makes you assume some were speared???????

and nope didny hear of any………but i’d suppose they wouldnt go boasting about it either.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I recently spoke with the DNR guy in charge of the Montross area the chain falls under, he said all signs point to a very successful introduction of Musky in to the chain, they will be stalking every other year for the foreseable future…My brother-in-law caught about a 25″ last year and I know of several others in the upper 20’s lower 30’s inches. They should grow fast with all the sucker/carp/catfish in the chain, i’m getting my gear ready for 2-3 years from now…

BBKK
    IA

I didnt assume any were speared, just wondering.

Any big pike come out of there last fall? I’ve seen some upper 30’s in there that I would love to hook into. We don’t get them that size down here too often. This summer I’m taking the big rods and some small musky inlines. I’m going to get a big pike even if I have to cast all day every day for a week.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

nope havent heard of a biggin either. i thinkss was the biggest i heard.

dont forget to take all the kitties ya want.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve caught several upper 30″ Pike on the chain, most of the larger fish seem to come from Ceder Island lake..I had a followup of a huge pike on Becker last spring, never got a hook into her..

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

There’s defiantly some nice pike in the chain. I’d still caution against trying to catch any of the young muskies at this point though. These first years of stocked fish are so very important to the health of the chains trophy potential we can’t afford to lose very many of them.
    The leech lake strain that are being stocked into the chain that have been stocked into almost every other Muskie lake in Minnesota reach 50″ in as little as 10 years. That’s a incredible growth rate! 6-7 more years guys then it’ll be high 5’s for everybody!
    I almost get chills thinking about the size potential for the chains Muskie. With the forage base being packed with fatty fish like sheepshead catfish and suckers we’ll see some huge fish when they reach they’re peak in 15 years or so. I’d like to buy the guy that thought of puting Muskie into the chain a beer!

BBKK
    IA

There are sheep in the chain? Please don’t tell me they are in there… Sucks driving 8.5 hours and end up catching a bunch of catfish, I do NOT want to drive that far to catch sheep.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

There are sheepshead in there. I’m not really sure the numbers but I’ve caught them in the winter along with the cats. Sheepshead are a phenomenal forage for muskies though they’re abundant slow and super fatty prefect for growing giant sox!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.