Fishing

• BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Is the fishing picking up now that it is cooler out? Was thinking about maybe making a trip up this fall between duck seasons.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I can let you know after Labor Day weekend.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

On the chain (and everywhere else pretty much) fish put the feed bags on late september/early october, no better time than that, it’s almost here…

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

where you headed pug ??? what lakes ??

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

East Lake, I guess. I am not familiar with the area. I’ll probably fish Horseshoe, Koetter and Zumwalles. All those lakes in the chain look pretty tiny. I am guessing their is going to be a lot of traffic. Just a matter of how much time I got to fish, when I go and who I am with.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

don’t fish east lake, stick with Horseshoe, Becker & Ceder Island lakes… Sunfish were incredible this weekend, biggest was 10 inches long!

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah, I don’t plan on fishing East, that’s just where we are staying. Doesn’t look like much more than a shallow body of water with little structure.

lundproangler
    Participant
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

Sunfish were incredible this weekend, biggest was 10 inches long!

Any hint what lake?
    Not looking for 10 inchers, 7 inchers will be fine.
    What depth are they at?

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

East is full of catfish if that is what you are after. If you are staying where I think you are, you will really be closer to cedar island.

When we were up there the big sunnies were in 8-10 feet of water on horseshoe lake. In a week of fishing I had 10 over 9″ with the biggest 9.75″, the rest were 9.25-9.5″.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

East is full of catfish if that is what you are after. If you are staying where I think you are, you will really be closer to cedar island.

When we were up there the big sunnies were in 8-10 feet of water on horseshoe lake. In a week of fishing I had 10 over 9″ with the biggest 9.75″, the rest were 9.25-9.5″.

Yes, we are staying at Riverside. I know, I shouldn’t say that because now my fans are going to flock there to get a glimpse of me.

Cedar Island another lake? Doesn’t show up on Google maps with a label.

We are probably more looking for panfish, especially when the group goes out. Michelle might want to try for something bigger when we go out in the morning alone. I’d like to cast for bass, but we’ll see how that goes.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

From the Riverside resort floating docks, just go to the right about 1000 yards and past the 2 points, that’s the entrance to Ceder Island Lake. Panfish can be had in most lakes, but Mud & Becker lakes have more numbers, you’ll just mix in a bunch of cats at the same time because they hang out in the same spot.

I’ve been pulling in hog sunfish from under my dock and in Horseshoe lake, 5-8 feet. Stick with worms on a slip bobber rig, fish are lazy right now and not chasing artificials…The big bite starts in a month or so…

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks guys. So stick to Horseshoe for the bigger panfish?

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

On horseshoe lake, right before the big drop off about 500 yards past the final no wake bouy straight out, there’s a 6′-12′ fow ridge that extends accross the main lake, start there…tip a slip bobber hook with a 1 inch chunk of nightcrawler…

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

If you have time, drag your boat over to Browns I grew up on the lake, nice sunnies and crappies can be had.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

If you have time, drag your boat over to Browns I grew up on the lake, nice sunnies and crappies can be had.

I don’t think the resort would appreciate us hauling the pontoon off the lake…especially with the girlfriends Jetta, although I suppose they wouldn’t worry about us getting very far.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Try peterson’s dock We pulled a 4 man limit of crappie over 13″ in 2 days from under that dock on tubes. Also pulled about 45 sunnies over 8″ from that dock. Locals know what im talking about, but you wont, so send me a PM if you want directions to it. I’ve never thrown to that dock and not had a bite.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Oh you think I won’t PM you? PM sent!

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Thank you sir! Hopefully I can now post pictures after Labor Day of my girlfriend, her mom and our friends smiling with some nice catches!

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

Thank you sir! Hopefully I can now post pictures after Labor Day of my girlfriend, her mom and our friends smiling with some nice catches!

You’ll get lots of nice catches, as long as you dont mind if they have whiskers.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…as long as you dont mind if they have whiskers.

Silly question. I am pretty sure the rest of the crew will also get a kick out of some cats as long as they are bigger than a couple pounds.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Hoping to see some reports here leading up to Labor Day when we make our annual trip.

Last year was tough, even by Peterson’s dock. Although part of that problem was being in a pontoon with the wind coming from the wrong direction.

Now that I’ve made myself familiar, I hope to have a little more success than just the catfish. I shouldn’t complain out the cats as they are a nice fall back.

My time on the water is a little limited. I hope to get into some bass. I saw a picture from our Resort posted on Facebook of a nice stringer of 4#+ bass. Yes, friggen stringer. Hope they tasted like mud.

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

The smallies are feeding pretty heavily right now. Finding them in the 5-8′ range, along with lots of good sized cats. The sunfish crowds are setting up in the typical spots.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Sure wish I was seeing some reports. Anticipating going up there over labor day weekend is the only thing keeping me going while we move.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I live near/on the chain and cant help ya much, sorry. only thing with real certainty about the chain is theres still water in it. going home from the new London area last sunday I did see 3-4 boats out on becker.

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Water temps took a good 10* dive last week. Changed the game around here. Wish I could offer more input, but haven’t been able to figure out the change yet myself. There was a massive fly hatch and I’m thinking that’s what is causing the slow down. Lots of catfish swirling on the surface.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I know fishing really stinks out the new London way too!!!!!!

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

August is the worste month to fish on the chain, Mayfly hatches and abundant baitfish keeps the fish pretty much full all month, September & October is when it fishes the best..

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

At this point I don’t care if even the catfish ignore me. I just want to be there and relax.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

pug, you don’t go visit the pubs in Richmond now, do ya?????????

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.