How’s the fishing?

• BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Havent seen any reports in a while, wondering how the fishing is up on the chain?

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

from what i’ve seen, it’s more like early July fishing, which means it’s pretty slow…the July/August bit is always slow on the chain unless you’re targeting specific species in known spots. Focus on weed edges and fish early morning or evening for the best chance…

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

The name of that chain is Horseshoe – I always thought it was Horseshit

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

I’d put the spring/fall bite on the chain up against any other lake…it’s the few months in between that time that fishing is a little tougher, but once you know where they hide, it gets easier..the first few years figuring that out were tough…

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

The name of that chain is Horseshoe – I always thought it was Horseshit

Interesting, have you ever fished it when it was hot? I’m not from the area, fish it one week a year in the [censored] time (last week in July). Last year we boated near 200 walleye in that one week, one 27″er.

Sounds like it might be a little rough by the time I get up there. But hey, I like it when there is a good weed line and the fishing is kind of slow. I just go around and throw a crank down the weed line, never know what you are going to catch… oh wait, yeah I do.. A CATFISH!

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Never fished it for walleye. I was referring to Bass fishing. I have caught some nice walleye up there while bass fishing. The bass fishing isn’t bad either. I was just joking about what all the bass fishermen call the chain.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Really? Do people really have trouble catching bass there? Just go down the western bank of east lake with a white spinnerbait or a watermelon tube.. you will catch more bass (and catfish) then you want.

The bank down on the south end of horseshoe by susie rock is a good one too, full of smallmouth that love chartreuse spinerbaits.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Becker is a great lake for bass fishing…please release all smallies caught, the chain is starting to turn into a great smallie lake!

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

I remember when I first went up there, the resort owner asked us to please release all smallmouth as they are just starting to see some being caught. I think last year I caught more smallmouth than largemouth. Quite a few 18-20″ smallmouth.

Havent caught one in becker yet, havent seen anything in there but largemouth and 18″ northern… I guess we did catch one walleye in there last year on a spinnerbait.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

no smallies in Becker, I meant just release Smallies in general…Becker has big fish, I’ve seen and caught some big dogs in that lake..

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Oh yeah, cant forget the dogfish. 2 years ago I couldnt keep them off a big bucktail inline. Had both livewells filled to the brim with dogs.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

yep, there are some big nasties in there..

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Oh yeah, cant forget the dogfish. 2 years ago I couldnt keep them off a big bucktail inline. Had both livewells filled to the brim with dogs.

both livewells full????? what ya do with them????

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Throw them in the trash

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Throw them in the trash

Taken from the MN Regs….

Any fish that is caught and will not be utilized must be immediately returned
    alive back into the water. A person cannot wanton waste a fish that is
    caught by leaving it or any usable portion on the ice, thrown up on the
    bank, or intentionally killing it and returning it back into the water unless
    authorized.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Throw them in the trash

Taken from the MN Regs….

Any fish that is caught and will not be utilized must be immediately returned
    alive back into the water. A person cannot wanton waste a fish that is
    caught by leaving it or any usable portion on the ice, thrown up on the
    bank, or intentionally killing it and returning it back into the water unless
    authorized.

According to the CONSERVATION OFFICER I SPOKE TO, wanton waste only applies to game fish. Dogfish (bowfin) are rough fish in Minnesota.

josh a
    Participant

I saw pictures on another site of a huge dumpster filled with rough fish after a bow fishing tournament. Apparently they kill as many as they can and bury them. Good riddance

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

I saw pictures on another site of a huge dumpster filled with rough fish after a bow fishing tournament. Apparently they kill as many as they can and bury them. Good riddance

Yup, they do the same thing down here. They call ahead and make an appointment at the landfill for them then haul them out there and have them buried. A lot of people are always complaining that it is a waste and that they shouldnt kill them for sport… I say shoot as many as you can! Nothing ruins a fishery faster than a lake full of dogfih, gar, and carp. Some carp are good for a lake, but the population needs managed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.