Hooking up 36v trolling

• walleyeguy000
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Might be a stupid question. But why does it say to use 6 gauge wire when the wire from the trolling motor factory is 8 gauge. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Also my plug for it is for 12v/24v. Will it work for 36v or should I get a different plug in ?

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Might be a stupid question. But why does it say to use 6 gauge wire when the wire from the trolling motor factory is 8 gauge. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

The length of the run also comes into play. Eight gage wire is fine for the length of the original wire. If you can hook the original wire directly to the batteries it will be fine.

However, you will be increasing the run if you add more wire, therefore you also have to increase the size to 6 gage.

walleyeguy000
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

That makes sense thanks.

will I need to replace the wiring that’s in my boat from the plug in? It’s about 6 feet or less long

Crappy Fisherman
    Participant

No, you should be fine up to around 15 ft. Measure all the twist and turns, they add up.

walleyeguy000
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Gotcha. It’s well under 15 feet to the batteries and back. U think 8 gauge will be fine?

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

No, you should be fine up to around 15 ft. Measure all the twist and turns, they add up.

What do you base your answer on , given that the op said the instructions call for 6 gauge wire? Why would one not just follow what the manufacturer recommends for best performance?

Would one run a 1/8 inch fuel line to a gasoline motor if the instructions called for a 1/2 inch line? Of course not, it would be starved for fuel. An electric motor is no different.

djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

Based on 6 gauge vs 8 gauge wire, 15 ft round trip, 36 VDC, 55 amp draw. The voltage drop difference is .39 volts. in other words With 6 gauge wire you will have 35.35 volts at the plug vs 34.96 volts at the plug. I don’t think your trolling motor will know the difference, if it does, it will be something less that 10 rpm at full speed.

Data from http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

Good Luck grin

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

I can’t find what brand TM you have, but below is a Minn-Kota chart, the 112# 36V motor is good with #8 up to 10′

HRG

Attachments:
    1. MK-chart.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.