Holiday beef reccomendations

• tim hurley

What would be a good cut of beef for the kin? Could also use a reccomendation for a butcher shop or grocery store, recipe etc.
    People on this site know their meat!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A prime rib roast is usually a Christmas meal tradition in my family. Hard to beat a slow roasted oven baked prime rib if you ask me. Quite honestly, it’s my favorite part of the holiday season. My uncle usually makes one for us that is so tender you can cut it with a fork.

As far as a butcher shop, I usually buy one at the store when they become widely available for a reasonable price.

mnfisherman18

Prime rib roast from the local butcher on christmas eve is my favorite meal of the year. Get bigger than you think you need because people will be going back for seconds and the leftovers are excellent on sandwiches.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Can’t go wrong with the prime rib but we’ve done a tri tip a couple times and that has been very good.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We do a massive 20-25 lb prime rib roast loaded with herbs and spices in an infrared propane cooker, delish!

CaptainMusky

We do a massive 20-25 lb prime rib roast loaded with herbs and spices in an infrared propane cooker, delish!

man that must cost a fortune. I’ll bring a fork.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We do steaks. Big fat filet mignons. Always turns out great, and add some fresh fish with it the family all loves it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thielen Meats in Pierz or Little Falls do a preseasoned prime rib, do that reverse seared and you are in business. If you have some chef skills a beef Wellington made with tenderloin is both excellent and something few people have regularly. I make this with venison tenderloins and it’s awesome too.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We grill up huge steaks.

Porterhouse or Ribeyes generally

Seared for about 2 minutes a side on the grill as hot as we can get it, tossed in the oven to finish until medium, or medium rare depending on the clientele.

All beef here comes from a family friend who raises angus from start to finish and has it down to an exact science…no grocery store garbage

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

You’ve come to the right spot! We do some crazy beef between my friends and family. Depends what you want. Some good advice above. A big prime rib is awesome. Meat prep is key. Make some slits with a filet knife and insert some garlic cloves. Season exterior liberally and olive oil. Make sure you let it rest and come up to room temp before cooking. I’ve become a bigger fan of reverse sear in recent years.

Lots of other good steak options. Thick prime NY strips. Tenderloin is always good. If you can find Ribeye Eyes thick cut (caps removed) they are awesome. Or get a big bone-in prime rib and cut your own steaks with it. Love some good beef…

queenswake
    NULL

I definitely need to get to the meat markets and try some of this stuff. However, I usually find myself so busy around the holidays that I have trouble getting to one other than Ingrebetsen’s for swedish meatball mix.

We get prime rib from Sams Club. And from Costco, they always sell the NY Strip slab for a good price in December. Get two of those for about $200 and cut them into steaks to freeze for the rest of the year.

Onthewater

Costco sells ribeye cap steak. It’s just the the tender strip of the ribeye removed and and tied with butchers twine. Marbled and good flavor. This is the only beef I buy at the store. Everything else comes from a local farmer.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221113-081749_Samsung-Internet.jpg

Ty Kennedy

Tough to beat a whole smoked tenderloin with a whiskey and mushroom cream sauce in my opinion.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m going against the grain for the Thanksgiving Yard Bird.

I’m doing a Brisket for the very first time in my family’s history!
    Don’t get me wrong, We love the yardbird, but there is just one sibling with me so that makes 3 for dinner.

Paul D
    Roseville

Throwing a Brisket on the smoker. Probably an eight hour cook.

sheffib32

This. We used to do the prime rib roast but switched to brisket last year and everyone seems to like it better. It’s also half the cost. Does take twice as long though.

CaptainMusky

Ive never made a prime rib, but its something I have been wanting to try for a while. Might have to do one for Christmas or New Year’s

CaptainMusky

Prime rib roast

Yeah that is what I am thinking of doing. They look fantastic! Its funny when I was younger I would get sick just looking at a prime rib and how pink they should be, but now it just looks so dang tasty.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

“I wont say I won the lottery, but there will be signs”

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

Right! I cannot imagine what that would cost! My buddy had his wife go and get a Prime Rib roast for new years a couple years ago and she paid over $300. He said “I should have given her some parameters” LOL

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

You would almost have to win the lottery to afford a 20-25Lb. prime rib roast. But OH does it sound yummy. You only live once and as my Dad use to like to say ” I’ve never seen a Brink’s truck follow a hearse to the cemetery ”

Alagnak1

Look for them on sale and throw it in the freezer. Going and buying one fresh the day of you are almost certainly going to pay through the nose. Cub or someone had them on sale last year before christmas and I bought several 6-7# 4 bone prime roasts for around $50 each. Made one for christmas, one for NYE, and another one in the middle of the winter. There really isn’t any easier roast to cook in my opinion. Someone without any meat or grill experience can nail it every time in the oven. Personally I smoke mine low to get the internal temp where I want it then sear the crap out of it for a few minutes to get a nice crust on the spice/herb rub.

Coletrain27

I don’t like some of my relatives enough to buy all them prime rib jester

Iowaboy1

Coletrain, that is when you feed them 8efe28aeba5bfd44

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you buy a whole rib roast, you can usually get a couple dollars off per pound, at least I know Thielen’s does it that way. They are expensive, but the holiday season is for celebrating! Even with turkey at $1/pound, Thanksgiving dinner is going to be a couple hundred with food and beverages calculated in. We bought a whole rib roast last year, and had 2 feasts with it after cutting it in half. I’m as frugal as the next guy, but sometimes I laugh at what people will and will not spend a couple hundred dollars on, on a fishing website (don’t look at those tackle boxes/rapala’s/rods/boats etc and start adding! jester ) #NoRegrets

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ll be doing 1.5″ Ribeyes. Slow smoked at 150-200 until they reach 120-125. Finish HOT in a cast iron skillet on a turkey fryer with rosemary and garlic infused butter. Sous vide mashed potatoes with sour cream, buttermilk, salt and garlic. Caesar salad with extra croutons and shredded parm.

Ribeye is about the only beef I’ve eaten outside of ground in the last year or two. A good buddy of mine works where he can get whole rib roast relatively cheap and we go through quite a bit. I would MUCH rather have a good low temp smoked and seared ribeye steak over a primerib. Sure, you got lots of flavor but the crust on a ribeye is what makes it so good. Let that fat char baby!

hop307
    Northern Todd County

I resisted a few days from reading this, because all it would do is make me hungry. LOL

Snake ii’s

Tomahawk steaks this year. Had rolled rib roasts and prime rib roasts in past years.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.