Any Holcombe reports?

• kNelson
    Participant

Any fishing news from holcombe? i’m heading up ina couple of weeks, thinking about floating the jump. anywhere else i should be looking on the lake for smallies this time of year?

muskybuck
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Any Holcombe Reports ?? Pine Lake ??

My son checked out by the Sportsmans Park on Saturday but the ice was pretty crumbly and did not go out.

brett
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I am planning to hit Holcombe either this Saturday or next Tuesday for the first time this year. Most people have not been venturing out too far yet as the ice is still a little questionable. I will report back what I find for both the fishing and the ice conditions next week. Good luck to all who head out.

Chris
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

I will look forward to hearing the report. I’ve only fished the flowage in the summer for muskies but would like to bring the ice fishing gear over this weekend if the ice is suitable. If it is I’ll be heading to the cabin for the New Year weekend to chase some crappie. I have a map that shows a bunch of the cribs in the lake but I don’t know if those areas will be safe or not. Thanks for doing the dirty work

Chris

brett
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I was out on Holcombe (Poison Pig Bay) for a few hours this afternoon. The ice was about 6 inches in all holes that I drilled. I wasn’t fishing too hard as we had some family members with and spent too much time BSing but I did manage to catch a few small crappies and marked many more that weren’t interesting in biting. All fish were caught in 21 ft on eurolarvae and a green flirty girty. There were probably 15 other people out but I didn’t hear or see much action from them. Good luck if you head out.

muskybuck
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

My son was out today from the Sportsmans Park and there was a good 6 inches. He caught one crappie and saw a lot of them on the flasher. About 26′ deep. He called and said there were a lot of people out there. I plan on bringing my Grandson out for a couple of days. Probably Friday and Saturday. Was hoping maybe Pine Lake would be active. Now I’ll have to try and figure out where Poison Pig Bay is??

brett
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Poison Pig Bay is the bay that you can see as you drive down to Sportsmans Park when you go down the dip in the road. I am not sure if that is the real name of the bay but that is what my grandpa always called it. It is a pretty easy spot to access early ice – and a good spot to bring people that don’t ice fish much as it is a short walk to shore. I am guessing Pine Lake is good to go now, I just didn’t have the chance to get out there and try it over the weekend. On another note, I did catch about a 20lb musky on Lake Wissota on Monday on a tip-up!

Chris
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I did catch about a 20lb musky on Lake Wissota on Monday on a tip-up

Lucky you! I bet that was fun. Gotta love pulling those big boys through a hole in the ice

Thanks for the reports!

muskybuck
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Any news on Holcombe?

muskybuck
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Has the shore line gone to h’ll yet?
    are the crappies biting?

muskybuck
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

I see its one year to the day since I inquired about this. Any new reports. How was the crappie bite this winter?

fatguy
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hit Holcombe with a buddy today and did very well for walleyes and pike. Including 4 eyes between 18 and 22″. Also got a couple crappies and one small muskie. All fish released. We ended up quitting on the fish, not them on us. Always a good feeling.

btw
    Participant

I will be up there this comming weekend and will let everyone know how I did

fatguy
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hit Holcombe today for anything that bit, and for a change of scenary. It was pretty cold in the morning, I had 41 at the landing. The water temp was 30 degrees warmer than the air! I started out looking for walleyes right away, and got into a few dinky guys on minnows. Only one over. It was pretty slow. I tried for muskies until my arms were tired, and had one folllow, zero fish. Not even any pike hitting today for me. Then I went and chased some smallies on some structure that looked like PRIME smallie structure. I only caught them in one area, and they were holding in some deeper water. They bit pretty consistantly in this area. Now for this big stretch of prime bronzeback water, I got NOTHING. I packed it in about 3:00, a pretty slow day, but we will take it over a good day of work any day.

fatguy
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Went and hit Holcombe this morning with the oldest, just to see what we could find, and the answer was walleyes! Within the first 5 minutes of fishing Audrey put 2 in the livewell and one slot fish, while Dad still hadn’t even caught a fish! He made up for it though. We caught somewhere between 20-30 walleyes, keeping 5, and only one crappie. Bite was pretty steady til 11 am, then everything shut off. What a beautiful day to be out. Here is Audrey with her slot fish from this morning, and a couple of nice eyes (don’t mind the dirt)

prep
    Participant
    Owen Wi

I was up there for 3 days 18 to the 20 really windy and raining caught about 25 little walleyes all small 2 smallmouth and 1 35 inch northern pretty slow all were caught in less than 10 feet

prep
    Participant
    Owen Wi

was up there thursday night and all day friday thursday night did very well i caught 21 walleyes biggest was 24 inches she was released to catch another day. friday was pretty slow only 10 walleyes and 1 smallmouth all were caught in 12 ft of water on orange floating jig heads

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Pulling leeches? or crawlers? We’re going to head up and stay at a campground on the flowage, we fished it a couple years ago when we stayed, and the fishing wasn’t great, we caught some panfish, a couple pike, nothing special.

Heading up a week from friday Hopefully the weather will be decent and we can catch something.

prep
    Participant
    Owen Wi

both leeches and crawlers worked but leeches work a little better

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks! Not sure how much time on the water we’ll get bringing 4 kids, 5 yo, 4yo, 2yo, and a 1 yo. (youngest 2 are mine) Should be fun!

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Well we fished… for about an hour off the dock before the kids got bored, probably didnt help that we didnt catch anything in an hours time either. Bobber fished with waxies and nightcrawler ended up only getting the boat out for an hour or so, and we just ended up sight seeing. The kids had fun, I had fun too, but I wished I had more time to fish.

Reports I heard were either dragging/drifting rigs in the 15′ range of some of the flats, and some report of catches jigging, apparently the walleye bite and panfish has been ok, no word on the big toothy critters.

prep
    Participant
    Owen Wi

fished wed night and all day thursday did ok few walleyes and a bunch of smallmouth morning bite was the best walleyes were on the drop offs on the edge of the channel on leeches. and smallmouth under the docks or alone the weed line on tube jigs

prep
    Participant
    Owen Wi

fished monday night and all day tuesday crappies were hittting pretty good,caught a few smallmouth, and the walleye fishing was really slow.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.