Holcombe Fishing???

• Tyler Kalishek
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, IA

I have a family vacation planned on Holcombe for the end of July. I’d like to catch some bass. What can I expect from the lake this time of year? I’ve never been there so kinda looking for some guidance. May try a little panfishing too as the old man likes to do that. Any help or tips are appreciated.

Fishtalez
    Participant

Largemouth are spotty throughout the lake. Look for typical cover in bays, creek mouths and some of the small side lakes. Entrance of Jump River, past Big Swede’s resort and bar has a lot of good cover. There are some quality fish, but can be tough to find. More of a Smallmouth fishery. Follow the wind. Look for wind blown rocky points and weedlines. Mixed bag of fish on those. crappies, wallys, smallies, pike and the occasional ski. The island before you get to the bridge where Big Swedes is, is a decent spot, lots of rock cover dropping off into deeper water. If you really want to catch bass, rent a river boat from Flater’s and try the rivers that flow into Holcombe. Ask em’ where they’re biting.

Tyler Kalishek
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, IA

I’d actually prefer to catch the smallmouth. I’ll have my 18′ bass boat. Is the entrance of Jump River a good place to find some smallies?

Fishtalez
    Participant

I’ve found schools of them there in September chasing baitfish…most of the cover around there is weeds and wood. You might find a few in July, but wind blown main lake structure would be more productive in my experience. You can run your boat up to where the chippewa and flambeau join, above the D bridge. Once it get’s shallow above MD’s bar and resort about 1/4 mile, trim up and idle up to the point where the rivers join – watch the river surface for big ripples from rocks. There’s a couple shallow spots that get down to maybe 18″. Lot’s of bass boats run up there. Up around the point and surrounding rocks can be some really good smallie fishing that time of year. Tube jigs. Good luck.

Tyler Kalishek
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, IA

Thanks fishtalez for the info! Hopefully we find a few fish. I’ll let you know how we do. I’ve got four nephews and my father that I’d like to try to get on some fish. We are actually staying on the Pine Lake part of the flowage. Hoping we can get a few panfish from the dock too.

tgruenke
    Participant
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

My parents live near the Jump. You can take a boat up there about 1/2 a mile. Just watch depths there are a few shallow areas that you can tell by weeds now. We got a few small mouth in the river over the 4th. Otherwise as other have said finding rocks. There is Rip Rap by bridges that should hold fish as well. For Panfish your best bet is Crappies. We seem to have the best luck with crappie minnows under bobbers. Good Luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.