Late spring walleye bite

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

You have to love the late spring walleye. Today I got out for the first time this month, wow I cannot believe we are 2/3 through the month of June and this is the first time this month I was on the water. Anyway the bite started out with a bunch of small ones from 12-16 inches and a few cigars. Usually when I am out on this particular wind swept point I catch a lot of gills and drum mixed in with the eyes but today I was out 3 hours and only caught one 5 1/2″ gill close to a rock wall on this point. I was pulling a bouncer over the wall, suddenly there was a lot of weight on my line thinking at first I hooked into one of the rocks I stopped my trolling motor keeping my line taught I felt a couple head shakes. I could barely get this fish off of the bottom and that was about it once I got it off of the bottom the hook came out, I checked the hook to make sure it was sharp and threw it back in.

The wind was blowing 25-30 mph straight out of the west with some white caps mixed in and I let the wind blow me back over the wall in hopes that I could hook that monster again. This trip over the wall is when I caught the 5 1/2″ gill I was talking about earlier, I hooked that sucker right between the eyes… it is kind of hard to hook a blue gill in the mouth with a spinning 2/0 hook. Once I got my rig squared away I was ready to approach the wall exactly like I did before when I hooked into that monster. As I was approaching the wall my line felt like it did before, except this fish was coming up off of the bottom, I could barely see the fish as I was trying to grab my net, since the harness was about 40-45inches long but I was able to grab the net after a few attempts.

Sorry about the quality of the picture but once I got the hook out, put a tape to her and got my phone ready for the picture I didn’t want to take the time to put her in a nice pose. All I had on my mind was that it is more important to get her back into the water to fight another day.

I know that these walleye must be feasting on the blue gills and small channel that frequent this area. It was an old dairy farm before the lake was built with rock piles, a rock wall, and a hedge row. This gal is 25″ and could have easily ate that gill I caught earlier.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice report there Richard!

’bout time you got out!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

That’s a dandy walleye anywhere Richard. Looks skinny and I would bet your forage base is low right now and I’d get out there as much as possible as those babies will be on the chew. Good job.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.