High water, read this

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The following is the messaging the park will be sharing related to the current high water incident. Please share as you are able.
    Due to flood conditions, Visitors are cautioned when traveling park waters to watch for floating debris and navigational hazards. Boaters are also cautioned to watch their speed and maintain no wake near shorelines, docks, or other developed areas. Operating with a wake causes erosion, and damages docks and other structures. All Docks throughout the park are submerged. Boaters should approach campsites, houseboat sites, or destination sites with caution. Park staff are diligently working to clear trails, place hazard markers, and clean campsites, while also assisting gateway communities with flood preparations.
    Given flood conditions the following closures and restrictions are currently in place, and are effective through June 1, 2022. They may be extended based upon conditions:
    All waters within Voyageurs National Park that are within 300 feet of any dock or structure are limited to vessel travel at idle speed and shall be considered “No Wake Zones”.
    All backcountry (Interior Lake) campsites and trails are closed through the end of May. Due to other emergency priorities park staff have not cleared trails, many trails are flooded.
    Specific Campsite and houseboat site closures will be implemented once tent pad, core pad, campfire ring, or vault toilet are impacted by flood waters. We will be distributing a list of closed sites in the near future, and update it regularly. Flood conditions are not expected to crest until mid or late May. Future closures may occur as conditions change.
    On another note, earlier I had been messaging that we were going to do a public event on 6/9 to recognize the official naming of our new Namakan tour boat, and celebrate improvements at the Ellsworth Rock Garden Destination Site. As you can imagine, with the flood incident we are all coping with, we have canceled that event.
    As always if you have questions don’t hesitate to contact me, or any other park staff.
    Stay safe.
    Bob DeGross
    Superintendent
    Voyageurs National Park

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

just read this and am reconsidering my trip planned for next week. im so bummed. the newly submerged rocks are one thing but what has me most concerned is the idea that my campsite dock will be underwater. Whats a guy gonna do if you cant tie your boat up somewhere at your campsite?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

If you’re new or unfamiliar with the park, now is not the time to learn.
    The amount of logs and debris in the water alone was kind of terrifying last weekend. I’d imagine most submerged rocks near travel routes will be marked by the weekend. Either way the chances of ruining a prop up there are extremely high right now. As of sunday 5/15 the dock at the Ash River Visitors Center landing was approximately 6-8″ under water, the water has risen nearly a foot since then. If there’s any west wind that landing could become very challenging especially when dealing with loading camping gear without a dock. It’s never boring on those lakes, they keep us on our toes!
    I’m heading back next Wednesday to asses the flood damage at our cabin.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I know they are / have put the buoys out on the lake. I was down on the Ash River Trail Monday and I haven’t seen the water that high ever. Like Dave said there will be floating logs, docks, timbers everywhere. Moving around will be challenging for sure but doable. Just need to move slow instead of running everywhere. Main lake was low 40’s Monday and a bit warmer in the bays. Rained again today and tomorrow sounds like a washout also.

I would never recommend somebody cancel a trip. However if you are new or uncomfortable boating new waters this might be the time to reschedule if possible.

3andadog

So what’s the thought as to when the flooding will crest? Barring rain hopefully.

The cabin we rent is close has the water to the floor now.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

So what’s the thought as to when the flooding will crest? Barring rain hopefully.

The cabin we rent is close has the water to the floor now.

It’s hard to say. Right now it’s still rising. The inflow rate is still higher than the outflow.
    The flood warning on my weather app says water is expected to continue rising in the coming days and weeks.
    Basically no end in sight right now from the looks of things, especially seeing chances of more rain in the next couple days.

3andadog

Way worse than the 90’s. I remember the lake down 7′ from normal pool in spring in some years. Seeing this that wasn’t that bad. Both ways do not seem great for hatching success.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

It’s pretty nuts, spent some time helping the resort sandbag when not fishing. I have noticed a lot of markers on the west/central areas not out (or out and submerged) but have been sticking to my known routes, not a good time to explore. Rock garden docks are under water and the tripod to the south of garden is either underwater or gone. Resorts dock had water to the edge Friday, has to be at least a foot over now.

LOTS of stuff floating about on the lake, logs, decking, mats of reeds even had a 6×6 (what I assume was part of a crib). Normally I’d pick stuff up as I see it to clean the lake but just too much out there to have much of an effect.

Deuces

Seems like a normal spring outing for any river fisherman lol.

Hope damage does keep to a minimum for the businesses up there.

Anyone know if all that would be covered by insurance?

JFan02

Not likely. You have to buy flood insurance specifically in order to cover flood damage. It’s going to be rough for several resorts up there. I am headed up this weekend. Crossing my fingers that things get better quickly!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not likely. You have to buy flood insurance specifically in order to cover flood damage. It’s going to be rough for several resorts up there. I am headed up this weekend. Crossing my fingers that things get better quickly!

I would say this is correct. Some may have had the foresight to purchase flood insurance ( Hopefully ) for those who do not have it, this is going to be a big hit to them. Mother nature sure has not been kind lately.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just a FYI on flood insurance. Some believe that you have to live in a designated Floodplain area to get flood insurance. That is NOT true. Anyone can purchase flood insurance. If you do live in a know designated Floodplain area and have a home mortgage, Most likely the Bank will require you to have flood insurance.

JFan02

Just a FYI on flood insurance. Some believe that you have to live in a designated Floodplain area to get flood insurance. That is NOT true. Anyone can purchase flood insurance. If you do live in a know designated Floodplain area and have a home mortgage, Most likely the Bank will require you to have flood insurance.

Thumper knows what he’s talking about here! (Must be a fellow insurance nerd.)

Red Eye

Just talked to park ranger. Rainy is predicted to keep rising till mid june. The camp site closures are going to be extended in the next couple days.

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

Any updates on Kab or Namakan? Going up next weekend to camp, having to find a new site to stay at as ours is under water i guess.

Wondering if anyone has been out fishing the last few days?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I drove down to the Ash River Trail today. (5-29 Sunday) I had my seasonal camper there in 2014 during the flood. That was nothing compared to this year. I have never seen it like this. Plan to move around very slow as a 300′ no wake is in place throughout the system and they aren’t messing around. They catch you on plane inside of 300′ and you will get a citation. Knats are terrible and mosquitos will be also. Fishing is pretty good with eaters around the 10′ mark and bigger fish out towards 20′. That may change a bit depending on this weeks weather. Minnows are the ticket. Either slow jigging or a bobber.

Must haves will be thermocells, water proof boots, and patience. Wear a life jacket at all times and look for floating and submerged debris. (tree’s & docks)

A buddy of mine pulled up the VNP boat launch at the Ash River Trail last week and looked over the side of his boat. He was over top of the dock. jester

Be safe but have fun!!

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Any updates on Kab or Namakan? Going up next weekend to camp, having to find a new site to stay at as ours is under water i guess.

If you don’t have a campsite reserved, you’ll need other accommodations. I’d be surprised if you can find an opening this late. Many campsites are closed because beach access is flooded or the dock is underwater or destroyed by ice during breakup. Many resorts have limited facilities also. Good luck.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Further info:
    When I arrived at the Sheen Point campsite Tuesday, May 17, I measured 15″ of water over the dock. I was able to pull my boat up on shore and tie off. Saturday, May 21 I measured 23″ over the dock. There were very few boats in that area and only one other occupied campsite that I saw between Sheen Point and the boat ramp at the Ash River Visitor Center. All the docks are underwater, many are severely damaged, and most of the beaches are flooded up into the trees. Very few campsites that I saw are usable. Below is a link to the VNP website listing closed campsites as of 5/19. I suspect the list will grow.
    https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/249981

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sunday night we got another 2.55 inches of rain in International Falls. We are forecasted for another .65 inches today with more rain for tomorrow. After that the extended forecast shows no rain. Cross your fingers.

The campground on the Ash River Trail is open as of yesterday. The launch across the street is also open and usable. This is a first come first serve campground. The resorts will have cabins available providing they aren’t under water. There are a few camper tent sites available at Sunset Resort , Ash-Ka-Nam and Frontier. Although Frontier may lose theirs if they received this rain. As of yesterday the water was inching up their road.

A phone call later in the week will be well worth it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.