High school bass leagues

• MNdrifter

Question:

Are all the HS leagues all just bass. Is there any walleye or open all species?

I know if I was back in HS I would be way more into this than shagging batting practice for a couple hours and I loved playing ball with my buddies.

Our local club is multi species, bass, northern, walleye. I captain a boat for my boy and another random kid each week. Last year was our first year as an organization and it’s definitely a learning curve getting something like this off the ground. Had a blast. My boy took first for season total.

MNdrifter

Attachments:
    1. 38AE5735-992B-48DC-902A-54743EC6A8DF.jpeg

2. CB005194-1373-482F-819D-C41EBB828497-scaled.jpeg

3. 44E65E43-6F6D-4540-BD59-6AEA0FBF338E-scaled.jpeg

4. 0078C380-32DB-4B46-9D8B-9E6A8DCED93B-scaled.jpeg

gonefishin

Just some food for thought.

During this past Tuesday’s DNR Bass Workgroup, one of the main items to try and address is the tournament situation in regards to the many tournaments leading to problems at the accesses/lakes. Lots of comments about local tourneys not getting permits and multiple tournaments showing up on the same lakes. Discussions about the growth of the student fishing.

A few things discussed.
    Trying to create an online registry of fish tournaments. There are a couple of web sites that have been created to try and help track the tournaments. One of the concerns is that many of the local tournaments, including the students, do not pull permits and thus no record of the lakes the tournaments are on.

Links to a couple of tournament directories.

Tournaments

m00iI_alhDs3WNntL-3sKrFYUXSxfg4RenzUk8
    https://www.basstl.com/mn-tournaments
    http://mglures.com/tourneysearch.php

Capping the max number of entries for both adult and youth to 100.

Drop the minimum permitting requirement from 25 to 15 or less.

Have tournament participants put some type of identification on the vehicle to allow for identifying which vehicles are in a tournament.

Link to DNR Tournament permit list.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/fishing/tournaments/2023-dnr-fishing-
    tournament-list.pdf?v=2023.01.19-21.29.29

For those of you involved with student fishing, would you mind bringing these items to your tournament organizers and ask them to add their tournaments? The goal from the work group is to try and see if creating a list will help with the overcrowding this summer and if not, then consider changes to propose for next year.

The next work group meeting is targeted for August, your thoughts/comments on any items to bring to the group?

gonefishin

For those of you involved in student angler organizations, are the organizations pulling permits? On Tuesday, I was at the DNR’s Bass Workgroup meeting and overcrowding of accesses is pretty high on the list of items to tackle. There will be a push to reduce the size of the student angler tournaments and drop the required permit size from 25 boats to something less. Also to get the student organizers to pull permits. The concern is that there are many tournaments that do not pull permits and tournaments show up on the same lake and over crowd the accesses. Note that for every tournament, the organizer is required to alert the local sheriff department.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/tournaments/requirements.html

There is an attempt to get tournament organizers to enter their tournament information in one spot to help with this.

Tournaments

DNR link to permitted tournaments.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/fishing/tournaments/2023-dnr-fishing-tournament-list.pdf?v=2023.01.19-21.29.29

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A list of the dates and lakes tourneys are being fished on is real important. I have nothing against tourneys of any type. I do have a issue with several things about tourney fishing. Keep in mind I use to do a fair amount of it.

1. The amount of fishing pressure on some real common lakes. I think we are starting to see the effects of the pressure on some of the lakes from the amount of tourneys held on them.
    2. The amount of landing space being used by tourney fishermen.
    3. Poor handling of fish at weigh-ins. There are some who do a excellent job of it and some who do not.

I think the amount of boats requiring a permit needs to be really lowered. I would say any tourney over 8-10 boats should require one.

I often try and look at various sites to see if there are tourneys on a lake before I decide where I want to go. Often I pick a lake with no tourneys listed for the day only to show up and find the landing full and boats waiting for blast off to a tourney. there have been days I’ve need to run to several different lakes to find one without a tourney going on.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Fully agree on this ^^ Some lakes have an enormous amount of bass angling pressure and its mostly due to the quantity of tournaments or leagues there. For this very reason, I often choose to avoid these lakes with purpose, especially on the weekend. A smaller, less pressured one makes my life easier in terms of parking, launching/loading, and the fish are usually not as tough to catch.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.