Help keeping a Daughter Safe – Self Defense Weapons

• chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Get her a Blue Heeler\cattle dog.They are loyal to a fault and can be a very good deterant\mean as hell to a stranger after hours.

Hard Water Fan
    Participant
    Shieldsville

If the school she is attending has its own Police Department …

UMD had a police department back when I went there (holy crap has it really been) 30 years ago. They excelled at checking parking permits and writing tickets.

dirtywater
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rsee wrote:</div>
    If the school she is attending has its own Police Department …

UMD had a police department back when I went there (holy crap has it really been) 30 years ago. They excelled at checking parking permits and writing tickets.

Accurate. Go bulldogs! toast

rwmcvean
    Participant

Here’s an easy one for anyone. Go to bed with car keys on nightstand. Any crazy noise in the house hit the car alarm button, they say intruders will leave once they hear it (don’t need any training for this and no risk of hurting anyone)

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Here’s an easy one for anyone. Go to bed with car keys on nightstand. Any crazy noise in the house hit the car alarm button, they say intruders will leave once they hear it (don’t need any training for this and no risk of hurting anyone)

Another option on top of the car idea, an alarm you can trigger “in” the house. Hearing a car alarm parked outside is a gamble… Alarm

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

That was something that I had discussed with my Daughter prior to this event. Unfortunately she had here keys hanging on the coat hook upstairs at the time. I hope this was a lesson learned and she now keeps her keys, or at least the spare Key with her in her room at all times.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I know the idea of a spare can of mace for her to have in her bedroom has also came up a few times. Does anyone here know if one brand or type of mace is better than all the others. Out on Amazon there is just way to may different choices.

deertracker
    Participant

I know the idea of a spare can of mace for her to have in her bedroom has also came up a few times. Does anyone here know if one brand or type of mace is better than all the others. Out on Amazon there is just way to may different choices.

Pepper spray may be a good option if she is outside. The problem with doing it indoors is she will be affected by it as well. If she were to miss it will quickly fill up the room and cause her issues and may prevent her from getting away.
    DT

matt
    Participant

A handfull of smoke bombs along with some throwing stars,would have been a great stocking stuffer.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

A handfull of smoke bombs along with some throwing stars,would have been a great stocking stuffer.

What about the nun chucks

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matt wrote:</div>

What about the nun chucks

If she was a expert with the Throwing stars and Nun Chucks I’d not be as worried about her. jester
    Side note. I use to swing the Nun Chucks rather good when I was younger. I ran across my Chucks going through a old save box a few weeks ago. Pulled them out and after a few minutes of swinging the foam padded pair, I switched to the full wood ones. Bad idea. Took a shot to the back of the head and saw star’s for a few seconds. Seems like the excess body mass got in the way a little. Don’t think that was there when I use to be good with them.

duh queen
    Participant

Jason Davis, a UMD employee (ITSS) offers a Jujitsu class on campus. Have her contact him. He’s a very personable guy and very easy to talk to.

Enroll her in Jiujitsu classes. Duluth is big enough to have this opportunity.

It will change her life and benefit her in all aspects.

huntinforfish
    Participant

Spent 4 years in D Town myself for school and lived off campus for 2 in two different places. Overall safe town in my opinion. I did have a friend (female) who had someone break into their place one night, so stuff does happen. A lot of rentals have crap doors and windows and crime opportunists know this. Make sure everything can be secured from the outside and an internal door lock for her room sounds great. She will never be 100% safe, but a little extra protection is worth the peace of mind. Mace is great. A solid old golf club would work too. My friend and her female roommate scared the guy out by screaming like crazy and having a bat. Sorry your daughter and you guys got scared, I cant imagine the feeling. As far as the big house with so many people, there is something to be said about safety in numbers, but I understand others points.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Completely unrelated, but Im
    Pretty sure the wrestlers I lived with in college foam at the mouth at the thought of somebody breaking in. Maybe she should find a wrestler.

Lol at karate though.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Completely unrelated, but Im
    Pretty sure the wrestlers I lived with in college foam at the mouth at the thought of somebody breaking in. Maybe she should find a wrestler.

Lol at karate though.

As someone who Wrestled in High school and College that’s funny. There is a reason a lot of the MMA guys primary background is Wrestling. I know of more than a few high level Boxers and Karate guys who thought they were tough, Until they found themselves on the ground with a guy on their back raining down blows to their head. Jiu Jitsu is a whole other matter. They Focus primarily on close contact and ground fighting.

tswoboda
    Participant

As someone who lived with wrestlers for 2 years in college… it’s not as safe as you think. Great to have them on your side at parties but mostly they were just crabby all winter and beat the hell out of me every time I ran my mouth

Oddly enough we did have an unwanted visitor in that house one night after everyone was sleeping. It was a 300+ lb middle aged woman carrying an almost empty case of Natty Light. The cops knew her by name and said she was going right back to the local psychiatric hospital.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

As someone who lived with wrestlers for 2 years in college… it’s not as safe as you think. Great to have them on your side at parties but mostly they were just crabby all winter and beat the hell out of me every time I ran my mouth

You didn’t go to college in Willmar or Mankato in Mid 80’s did you ????? Want to make sure you were not one of my roommates. If so, I figured I better say I’m sorry rotflol jester devil

docfrigo
    Participant
    Wisconsin

If no one mentioned it, a can of wasp spray works in a pinch for self defense spray.

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.