Help for pool 2

• ripstick

Heading down to fish with a couple friends saturday. They a have boat a water gate. Between us we have little knowledge where to start and jigs to use. Have been looking at the maps and will continue to do so. Any help or ideas would be great.

Deuces

Action can just be fun too, slow death w crawlers on bb off shoreline drop transitions to river bottom always catches fish.

dirtywater

#5 and #7 flicker shads, regular and jointed. Motor up to the dam and then troll the shorelines back down. Approx +1 mph over the speed of the current. You’ll find fish — maybe several species on that one presentation. You’ll lose lures to snags as well, but banging the bottom with a rattling crank bait is about as close to a sure thing you’ll get down there in my opinion. As mentioned above, if you find a productive stretch then you can anchor up and cast/jig if that’s more to your preference.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You don’t need to go far from water gate. Go straight across the river, set up trolling cranks into the current in 8-10 FOW. You can run that program all the way up to the dam.

-J.

dirtywater

You don’t need to go far from water gate. Go straight across the river, set up trolling cranks into the current in 8-10 FOW. You can run that program all the way up to the dam.

-J.

X2 — although I do better trolling downstream as opposed to into the current. If you’ve got a 24v or 36v trolling motor or don’t mind using the gasser, going upstream works well.

FinickyFish

Highjacking this thread a bit. Are there any viable boat ramps for an 18ft fishing boat west of the 494 access? And I guess by viable i mean available parking. I see Hidden Falls boat ramp and Highway 55 boat ramp on Google maps. Are either of those useable or are you better off going to the 494 access?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Glass or aluminum boat?

Hidden Falls or Lilydale are good, deep ramps for that sized boat- neither has a dock.

Watergate Marina has a great boat ramp,
    dock and gas, but they charge to launch.

There is another ramp around ft snelling onto the MN river that I havent used.

FinickyFish

Thanks. Aluminum. I can manage without a dock and if that keeps the launch less busy, all the better.

dennis smith

i have a 17 ft lund explorer. i like fort snelling if i fish the upper part. short ride to confluence and seems like never really busy. they have a dock also. just need to pay a daily or yearly fee.

FinickyFish

Good to know about the fee, which im fine paying. I’m leaning towards trying that one or Hidden Falls depending on who decides to launch with me.

Edit: And now it makes sense why there’s a fee. I see it’s part of the state park.

dennis smith

yes. sorry. it is in the park. has close parking.. good luck

dirtywater

Good to know about the fee, which im fine paying. I’m leaning towards trying that one or Hidden Falls depending on who decides to launch with me.

Edit: And now it makes sense why there’s a fee. I see it’s part of the state park.

To clarify there is no fee to launch your boat there. Just to enter the state park. So if you have a state park sticker on your vehicle then you can launch for free. And there is always a ton of parking and very little traffic at that launch. Way easier than hidden Falls.

Cody Meyers

For what it’s worth…I hate the hidden falls ramp simply because of all the non fishing related traffic and the parking. The ramp and everything is fine, but it gets really busy. If you are fine with the extra short boat ride I vastly prefer the Ft. Snelling launch.

dennis smith

yes. pay for state park sticker only. i get yearly and go multiple times. never had issue with a full lot. or problems with people loitering around. they have both biffys and a nice bathrooms a little bit away if you need.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Heading down to fish with a couple friends saturday. They a have boat a water gate. Between us we have little knowledge where to start and jigs to use. Have been looking at the maps and will continue to do so. Any help or ideas would be great.

catch any? grin

FinickyFish

Not sure about ripstick but I ended up getting out today between 7-10am. Used the Hidden Falls ramp to accommodate a buddy which was pretty much empty of boats but full of people when we came back in. Only boated one tiny sauger but im fairly new to river fishing and working the currents is something I still need to figure out. Nice morning to be out though (which usually doesn’t bode well for fishing ha).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.