Helix or Echomap For LOTW Mapping?

• fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

I’m ready to change from my Lowrance HDS Gen 3 on my snowmobile for GPS. I’m trying to decide between a Helix and an Echomap. GPS is all I’ll use it for. Thoughts please?

mojogunter
    Participant

With the garmin most units have a built in map that is pretty good. 5 years ago they were bad, but have made significant changes for the better. The humminbirds the base maps I have are not good up there, so you have to buy a lotw chip for $125. If it were me I would go garmin for mapping.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Be careful with the Echomap cradle, they are prone to spit out the screen when things get bumpy!

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Be careful with the Echomap cradle, they are prone to spit out the screen when things get bumpy!

Are you saying the actual screen has a tendency to split?!

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

The screens have been known to pop out of the cradle, you’ll see alot of guys bungee a cord around the screen when making runs.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

This pretty much 100 percent comes from not securing it in its cradle all the way. The 2 clicks are key. Other wise they will pop out in transport.
    I’ve never seen it in person but have in videos. I care for my electronics to much to be lazy with them. I go through alot of rough stuff and have my 3 93sv’s bouncing

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Could a guy epoxy, glue, or silicone the unit to the cradle? I don’t see a need for the cradle, when the unit can be pulled off with the knobs. I won’t be switching the unit between cradles or anything like that.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Fishinfreaks, the echomap won’t come off with the knobs. It snaps into its cradle. Unlike the humminbird, the wires are screwed into the unit with retainers, then the screen section snaps in with a quick connect. This Solves the problem I had with y helix 7 wires popping out in rough water. As bc mentioned above just make sure it’s snapped all the way in.

The factory maps on my echomap are navionics and are very good. Would be nice to have the trails on there too, wonder if it’s possible since Garmin has trail mapping units too?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.