HDS 7 Gen 2 map cards?

• Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

What are you guys using for map cards in your HDS Gen 2 units here in the upper Midwest – specifically for MN and WI waters? Is the Insight V.15 any good? Am I better off with a Navionics card? I’ve always been a HB guy and just trying to decide if I want to keep the HDS 7 I picked up.

I mostly fish the Mississippi River (pools 4-8), and some of bigger lakes in MN (Leech, Winni…) but would also like to use this on Superior and/or Michigan.

Thanks,
    Dave

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run the lake insight HD and have been very pleased with the detail and accuracy. I don’t have any experience with Navionics other than friends that have it. The insight is more detailed on the lakes I’ve compared.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I have the insights pro and navionics. I much prefer the insights over the nav chip due to the superior accuracy and the ability to see shallow water contours. The nave chip doesn’t seem to show near shore contours.

Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

Thanks for the replies. I see there are Insight Pro and Insight HD cards. Does anyone know if the HD card maps load slower than the standard Pro chip maps? Just trying to decide if the HD chip is worth the extra $60-70.

Thanks,
    Dave

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If I remember correctly, the difference is the shaded relief. I used to have the pro in the bow locator and the HD in the console one. Never noticed a difference in load times. Once they came out with the update that let you share map cards between multiple units, I sold the pro chip.

The shaded relief is nice at times as you can see where the deep holes and shallow spots are without needing to be able to see the contour lines.

KirtH
    Participant
    Lakeville

I would rec. Navionics Platinum with SonarCharts, the SonarCharts layer gives you extra detail not found on Premium. And there are some other cool features astalite imagery.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.