SI Test Pictures

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Tried taking some screen shots the last few times out. Learning a new spot and the SI has been critical to gaining quick insight to something I have driven over many times. Let’s see if these work.

There is a definite bottom composition change from sand to gravel, comes up from 30′ to 15′, weeds on top of the hump are dead.

Picture one was shot a week ago. Caught a few smaller bass, lost something decent. Lot’s of bites, probably all that small stuff down there. Fished this yesterday, 2nd two shots. Not a touch.

Thoughts on what the humps are on the bottom? They do have a small shadow, but they are huge.

Dang, I need to learn how to edit my pictures to get rid of lake names right next to my waypoints on the map….

whittsend

Look more like depressions since the “shadow” is on the wrong side of the mark for it to be a hump. No idea what they would be from.. ???

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Is that what a depression like smallmouth spawning beds would look like. Don’t think they would be this size. They seem extremely big.

Could be the indian burial grounds or pyramids that are supposedly out here…. I’ll have to get my goggles out and do some free diving.

Also any thoughts to the interference on the left side of my screen towards the top. Think this might be my e ladder or the left side of my jackplate as my transducer is mounted on the bottom of my j-plate on right side. Going to try and play with the angles of the ducer a bit to see if it changes.

whittsend

what was your sceen speed set at with those pics?

ron_w_basser2
    North Central, MN

Depressions for sure, what they are???? Drop down an aqua-vu and take a look.

Is the interference you are referring to just to the left of the center line? That thicker gray area? The only thing I can tell you based on what I’ve seen on mine is that anything in the way (motor, etc) usually blocks out the SI view of the bottom of the lake, and you appear to have that in great detail.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Chart speed somewhere between 3 and 5. I typically run 4 with sensitivity between 11-13 and contrast on 11 or 12. Been playing around with settings quite a bit.

jhalfen

I agree….depressions of some sort, based on the pattern of dark/bright spots on that side of the boat. I think they are way too big to be beds, based on the beds I’ve seen on SI up here. The first thought that came to mind was dredge scoops, but I’m guessing that doesn’t apply here. Not sure….a fun mystery anyway.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Nic, I can tell you one of them is an active spring. We dropped the aqua-view down there last summer and could see the sediment boiling up. There is also another area of the lake that has these same weird holes. This technology stuff needs to come to a end. One little puddle in our back yard and someone else’s finds my late summer spot out there. Makes it kind of like fishing in the bathtub.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’ve taken similar images of similar depressions on various lakes here in both MN and WI. They always seem to be associated with the BOTTOM of a slope. If they were a bit higher up, I’d question if they weren’t caused by sluffing of the “hillside”.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

This has got to be a dynamite summer holding spot for some big fish. Thanks Randy W. for confirmation on what it is. Is the transition of bottom really sand to gravel on the hump or is it all silted in? I have spent the better part of ten hours looking at this part of the lake trying to figure out with 2D sonar. Put the whole picture together in ten minutes with my SI. Don’t think many on here fish out East by us anyhow. Next pictures will not have my lakemap included…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Nic – You’ll get pretty good at photoshop…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.