Shaded depths: Try it, you’ll like it

• reddog
    Participant

When I was told about shaded depths at a seminar, I kind of yawned (not literally) about it, but after using it on a couple pieces of new water lately, I can honestly say, that it is one of my favorite things about my 997, other than the side imaging.

If you dont know the body of water well, shaded depths will simplify your ability to navigate, particularly while establishing trolling patterns.

Here is a series of pictures from Gull Lake in Mn. I have never fished Gull lake, but used it as a model for highlighting what shaded depths can do for you.

Shaded depth turned off.

Shaded depth set to 25 feet:

15 feet:

10 feet:

5 feet:

On another piece of water, I had fopund the smallmouths on mid lakes humps that topped out at 7 feet. after exhausting all of my known spots, I changed my settings to 7 feet, and wow, about 9 other spots screamed at me to come fish them. It eliminated a ton of investigation time on the water, and will put more fish in the boat. guaranteed.

Next time you are out, give it a try it, I will bet you will like it or Ill give you your money back!

acar555
    Participant
    Omaha, NE

You can also use the shaded depth to show a new shoreline if you know the lake is down say 5 ft. Just set it 5 ft a that is the new shore.

jdx
    Participant

reddog

Thanks for some awesome info and examples!

Jeff

les_welch
    Participant

That would be handy for the great lakes or any other area where one is trying to troll an “edge”, which would be a certain depth area. You could set your depth to say 70′, put the boat on it that line and follow it, gonna have to get me one of these darned things.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.