troubles with a 798ci

• Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Hey guys, I hope someone can help. I was fishing today and I’m having trouble with my 798 at the counsel. I have a 788 at the bow running through a US2 transducer that works great, the screen is nice and clear and seems to work like it should. My 798 on the other hand is not so good. The screen is solid clutter, I tried adjusting all settings, nothing helped, the screen looked it’s worse when I was trolling at about 2 mph, when I stopped it improved but there was still way more clutter than I see on the bow unit, in 17 feet of water the top 5 feet of the water column is solid clutter when I’m stopped. I also cannot read depth any faster than about 10 mph. I installed the transducer so maybe the transducer isn’t in quite the right spot? Any help would be great, vacation is coming up and I need to get this working right. Thanks

scott-k
    Participant
    Red Wing

I have the same unit…I assume it has worked okay previously so I am inclined to think it is a setting issue. Max mode and clear modes make a huge difference in viewing. Also, sensitivity too. Does side imaging or down imaging work okay?

I suppose it could be a transducer mounting issue, Turbulence from boat is doubtful…do you have a pic to show how it is mounted?

Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

I’m inclined to say the ducer isn’t sitting quite right.

Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

I haven’t got much time in the boat since I put the 798 on it. So this is the first full day I’ve spent using it. I switched back and forth from max mode to clear mode and it didn’t seem to change it much, same with the sensitivity didn’t change the clutter much.

Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

The side imaging works good, but the down imaging is solid clutter just like the 2d sonar.

scott-k
    Participant
    Red Wing

Another site that has been helpful to me…

sideimagingsoft.com

Those boys know their birds!

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

I would guess your transducer is not level. I had similar issues installing a 788 and that fixed it.

mikes-jigs
    Participant
    Red Wing, MN

If it is not the levelness of the ducer try changing the frequency of the ducer. That definitely helped our 787ci.

bls1984
    Participant
    wells,mi

I had the same unit before. I had to mess with it a lot. I had to put the transducer lower than what they say and a slight angle down . I got good readings at 30 mph plus. make sure its not behind rivits . I would say its all transducer placement issue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.