LCO or Grindstone this weekend?

• red89
    Hudson

Well it looks like i’m going to the girlfriends folks cabin this weekend… and of coarse i hope to bring the boat along and sneak out fishing. Anybody been out on these bodies of water lately or have any opinons? I have fished grindstone once in the boat, and lac courte oreilles only a few, so a coarse with the size of these bodies of water im not too familiar with them. Want to find some smallies and walleyes mostly. Smallies up on there beds right now??

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Am not sure what you have for temps up north now,
    but am sure the temps are too cool for any spawning activity.
    I would expect some early shallow water prespawn movements, in some of the warmest bays during the afternoons, but think those fish will be few.
    I’d think most of the fish will be just outside spawning areas in slightly deeper water, and could be catchable.
    good luck.
    Jack

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

red89:

I would fish either lake that you feel more familiar with, sounding like LCO. Water temps on our larger lakes in the Minocqua area crept in the low fifty’s in the past two days.

If I were targeting ‘eyes, try to find out which shorelines they were spawning on or still in the last week. If no one will tell you then its time for a boat ride with a good map. You need to find the gravelly rock shorelines starting on the north side of the lake first. At least right now, most of our daytime fish have been coming from 12-20 with fish moving up in to 5-10 feet just before dark. If your fish are still spawning, it seems like once you get to dark dark, the fishing/biting ends. I say that because most boats start to leave the lake and are off by the time I get back. What am I doing??? I am confirming with a spot light where those ‘eyes are… so that tomorrow night I am in a better spot, if I haven’t already found it!!!

As for bass, I know there is becoming a bigger following of prespawn fish and have heard of some guys finding fish in north side bays over here during the opening weekend. These fish if you can find them are going to be some of the biggest fish in the system!!! One of the guys I work with told me his son got a prespawn smallie at 24″ opening weekend!!! If healthy, that fish could have weighed 8#’s…, minimum 6-7#!!! Now that’s a toad!!!

Later in the day as the water warms, I would look for cruising shallow bass and then try to catch them. Once located, you should be able to target them off the break.

Mark

tstatz
    wis

The water temps last weekend were 49 on round sunday am.lco and g-stone should be very similar.The smallies are nowhere near bedding time.They are cruising shallow.Good luck!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Water temps are holding in the mid 40*s over here and would assume that this cold front will lower them again. Watching snow fall on and off again!!! Last night we fished the north shore with the south wind. Waves were coming over the well, the livewell and into the boat. Good thing the bilge worked!!!

Between 8 and 9 I had the boat in 5 feet of water and the walleyes were just thunking the 1/8 jigs were were using. Great time!!

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.