Camping in the area

• mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

I am coming up to the Hayward area to do some musky fishing with a buddy who lives in Cumberland. We don’t want to be driving back and forth each night with the gas prices, so we are looking for a campground or campsites on a lake. We know about the campsites on Moose Lake and Chippewa Flowage. We will be tenting it, so nothing fancy is needed; just a legal spot to tent for a night or two.
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

If memory serves me correctly, you can stay on one of the islands through the DNR. There are actually campsites on some islands. I don’t know if that would work for you but if you can’t find anything else it may be an option for you.

vman59
    Barron,wi

Chippewa Flowage

The 15,300-acre Chippewa Flowage is in Sawyer County east of Hayward. First filled in 1924, it is now Wisconsin’s third-largest lake, with an irregular, wooded, and generally undeveloped 233-mile shoreline and about 200 undeveloped islands. It is known for its spectacular natural scenery and fishing. Public access points on the flowage are a starting point for a wilderness experience. Camp at one of the primitive island sites. 10220 State Hwy 27, Hayward, WI 54843 (715) 634-2688.Campsite are on Little Banana , Pine, Turkey vulture island’s and mouth of Crane creek on the west side.5 on the southeast section ,4 on the northeast seection of the flowage. Get a good map and it will show the islands and campsites.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I spent the last two weeks at this great old-fashioned family campground
    http://www.haywardlakes.com/callahan.htm
    and I’ll be there the week of the 4th also.
    Callahan Lake is East on B near the flowage. Turn off B by Jenks bait shop and Hillmans store.
    Callahan/Mud are loaded with bass and musky. Though the muskies are small in
    size, they’re big in numbers. Nearby are the Chippewa Flowage, Moose Lake, Round Lake, Tiger Cat Flowage, and others.

Have fun!
    John

jld
    Holmen

Do you need to call the DNR to reserve an island or is just first come first serve to camp. I know there is great campsite at Loon’s Point but the LCO own that somehow and it won’t be open until 2008 according the signage. We have stopped and swam here before, great swimming hole on the back side of the point. Thanks

vman59
    Barron,wi

first come first serve but the days are limited to 3 nights I beleive but I don’t know how strict they are on checking.

jld
    Holmen

I actually called the DNR office in Hayward. They were very helpful and sent me a map the next day of the Flowage. LCO islands require a $20 reservation fee which is fine, that way I know the island is mine. DNR sites are first come first serve.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.