Hayward lakes crappies, 4.21-22

• jhalfen
    Participant

The crappies are ready to go in the Hayward area!

First, a water level update: our lakes remain low but have been recharged somewhat from the winter snows. I’m guessing that we’re still 6-10″ low, and the dry spring isn’t helping that.

Now for the slabs:

I spent parts of 2 days chasing crappies on my favorite early season panfish lake. We found water temps of 51-54 degrees in the bays we worked. On Saturday the crappie bite was slow until dusk, then somebody flipped a switch and we were really busy for about an hour. Sunday was an all-day affair.

On both days, we could see tons of crappies sitting in deep water (8-12′) on the locator and the camera, but these guys were in a negative mood. On Saturday, we finally started to connect with these guys at a transition from their deep water haunt onto a shallow, weedy feeding flat. We anchored up on this transition and let the slab come to us. On Sunday, we found biters scattered all over the flat, so drifting with the wind until we contacted a pod of biters was the plan.

We didn’t find any monsters, but instead decent numbers of 10-11″ fish with large numers of 8-10 inchers.

The bite is not hot and heavy by any means, but that will change in a positive way with the predicted warm temps. Get out an enjoy some fine pre-season panfish action!

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

Jason,
    I’m going over to the Turtle Flambeau for the inland opener. Many are saying that it’s down close to two feet. Hard on lower units for sure. Did any significant rain move through this last weekend?

jhalfen
    Participant

Not really, just some light showers yesterday afternoon/evening.

I think a lot of the water recharge is from the two late-season snows. A LOT of the small roadside ponds are dry or nearly so.

krisko
    Participant
    Durand, WI

Yeah…relatives are telling me they are still down on water up on most of the lakes. I also heard they were just getting into the gills and crappies this weekend. Late afternoon into early evening they were on fire.

I’m gonna be heading up to Chetek on Thursday…I can’t wait.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.