Hayward Lakes Fishing Report

• j_d
    Warroad, MN

Made it out Sat. for the morning and afternoon bite on Big Siss. THe morning was disgraceful, artic temperatures will take a toll on fishing equipment in a hurry. But after a little warmup, the crappies started biting around noon. Outfished by the girlfriend, she caught six beautiful crappies, including a huge 13 inch slab. Fished in 25-30 fow marking lots of fish all day about 6-8 feet up. Good Luck Fishing!!!

jhalfen

Hey, thanks for the update J_D. What was your technique of choice? I’m hoping to make it out next weekend, if the Birkie festivities don’t get the best of us.

Big Siss holds some really nice slabs. Last year, on the 4th of july, we were clobbering them on white power tubes suspended off the weed edges.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Many different techniques worked. We iced most of the fish using swedish pimples and plain teardrops. Blue was the color of choice. Big Sis has definitely been good to me this year, I can’t wait for open water. Do you have any experience musky fishing this lake? I triied last summer with no luck.

jhalfen

I have chased skis there, but just casually. I’ve raised a couple of fish, but haven’t put in the effort at prime-time to convert those lookers into biters. Most of the time that we’re on Siss, we’re with a group of families, so it’s pannies, bass, and pike that get our attention to keep people motivated. The skis that I have moved have come in the bay that the public landing is in, or on the big sandy/rocky bar in the middle of the lake that is marked with the string of buoys.

It looks like my weekend trip to Siss is going to happen after all. I’ll give blue a shot!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Nice fish!

Thanks for the good post JD!

Sully

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Hey guys,
    this forum been pretty slow lately. Wish I could post some info but I have not been able to make it up lately. Anybody catchin’ anything around this area. I am ready for ice out and will probably make a trip up in the near future. Any info on ice conditions would be great. Have a good one.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Hit LCO…musky bay this past weekend. Stunk it up like i have out there all year. Crappies just not in there as much adn not near the size they use to be. Could catch all the small sunfish ya wanted though

jhalfen

During the first weekend of April in 2005, we were pounding crappies on the quiet lakes. As of last weekend, people were still ATVing on LLL. So, an open water crappie trip this coming weekend seems to be in doubt. Easter weekend seems like a sure thing, however!

vman59
    Barron,wi

General Conditions:Above average winter temperatures continued until friday,but ice conditions are improving.Ice thickness has been reported up to ten inches,but thickness can vary greatly from lake to lake,and at different locations on the same lake.It cant be repeated enough:There is no safe ice.Caution and common sense should always be of first concern.Heres the report from the Sawyer County Record.This one is from Hayward Bait and Tackle.Reprint:Walleye:Lac Court Oreilles Grindstone Round Sissabagama Lost Land Teal.Evening bite.Some jigging action in 18-30 feet of water near weeds or structure.Northern:Spring Nelson Lac Court Oreilles Lake HaywardRound Smth Lost Land Grindstone.Weed Related in 5-15 feet.Crappie:Lac Court OreillesNelson Spring Smith Sissabagama Teal.Suspended in 20 feet of water.Bluegill;Nelson SmithSpring Lac Court Oreilles Chippewa Flowage Lake Hayward 5-10 feet of water.Perch:Round Grindstone Lake HaywardLac Court Oreilles 10 feet of water. I myself have not heard of many walleye being caught except right after first ice.Northern fishing has been on fire.Walleye best bite is still late afternoon.I personally havent tried at night but thats a tough beat.A lot easier if you live on a lake.You could get flags at ten or three in the morning.I personally have not seen more than 6 inches of ice on six different area lakes big and small.Weather is going into the deep freeze this week with no snow cover to speak of If things go good we may have a foot of good ice by next weekend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.