Have land to lease for deer hunting; how much to charge?

• Lori Dreischmeier
    Participant

I have about 300 acres of farmland in Southwestern Wisconsin (about 25 miles west of Wisconsin Dells/Baraboo) and am trying to figure out an appropriate lease price. It’s available for bow and arrow this year. I currently have someone leasing the land for gun hunting; he is moving out of the area, and I think our lease rate ($500) is below market. I welcome input! Thanks!!

saugeye-steve
    Participant

How much of the acreage is wooded?

Lori Dreischmeier
    Participant

Thanks for your note. About one-third of the acreage is wooded.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Lease rates are all over the map because there are just so many variables. $500 may be high or it may be low.

First, how much of the 300 acres is actually habitat and cover area versus open field?

Secondly is this an exclusive lease you’re planning to offer for one party to hunt both bow and if they choose firearm? Or do you intend to keep the lease split between two parties?

Finally, how many people do you intend to let hunt under the lease? And does anyone else have rights to hunt the property, family, friends? Or is the leaseholder the only one hunting the property?

$500 per person for just bow season access or Firearms season access in my opinion is on the high end of what I’ve heard for that area. If the $500 covered multiple persons hunting then yes it might be lower than the market would bear.

In general, the more exclusive access a party has, the higher the lease will command. Also there is a premium for good huntable habitat versus just a lot of open field.

Finally, if you can document a history of big bucks taken on the property, or if you have a lot of trail cam pictures to show the deer on the property that might help increase the lease rate.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

As Grouse stated, rates are all over the place based on the habitat the land has, how many hunters, and if its an exclusive for ALL game annually, or just a seasonal lease.

My farm is about 40 miles west of the dells, so not all that far from you. I see annual rates of $1000 to $4000. Most farmers are trying to get their property taxes covered and a little extra.

Here is copy for an available lease south of us that is asking about $3700

it is a beautiful county with a terrain almost “bluffy” in nature. The 145″ sheds pictured in the listing were found right across the road from this property on the landowner’s father-in-law’s farm. This farm should hunt much bigger than the 117 acres listed. The timber is primarily hard woods including a lot of white oak and a scattering of apple trees. There is a very nice trail system throughout the property which will make for easy and quiet access into your stand locations as well as retrieval of game. The amount of deer sign seen during my inspection was quite impressive.

The valley is being turned into CRP with timbered ground surrounding it on 3 sides which should allow for numerous stand locations. I would anticipate the turkey hunting to be excellent so make sure to get your spring tag and do some shed hunting while you are there trying to call in a big long beard. There are cattle pastured on various portions of the farm during the summer months. The landowner does not live on the property but has a tenant living in the farm house to watch over things while you are not there.

All legal game are yours to hunt along with respectful use of ATV for hunting related activities. Landowner is also okay with camping with his permission on where and when. Food plots are also okay with his permission as to where and what. Lastly, he would like to be contacted prior to each visit to the property by the hunters. This is primarily to minimize his presence on the property when you are there.

. This property limited to a 2.5% annual price increase.

riverruns
    Inactive

Bad topic. I have land and I also lease land for hunting.

How bad do you want to screw someone with a local family on a fixed income out of hunting that have kids wanting to hunt? Or how much do you want to get out of a Cityitt with lots of $. Why don’t you just advertise and set a price?

riverruns
    Inactive

Grouse, you can document big bucks on a property off any internet site, copy and paste. Change dates on cameras to the future. I’ve seen it done for sale of land.

I could sell you desert property in the ocean with pictures and dates on the pictures.

Randy, In that advertisement you posted, it mentioned 145″ shed. Hell I could come up with 200″ and make the $ value go up.

Not being a prick, just saying you can do what you want to make a piece of property available too who you want and set the price high if you want. Don’t believe all you see or hear.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Randy, In that advertisement you posted, it mentioned 145″ shed. Hell I could come up with 200″ and make the $ value go up.

Could photoshop pics and make a 400″ and someone would believe itrotflol

Not being a prick, just saying you can do what you want to make a piece of property available too who you want and set the price high if you want. Don’t believe all you see or hear.

Just answering the OP’s question. No need to sling mud on the topic.

But since you went there…… doah ….I guess that every property owner that has said “NO” for permission, regardless of a lease or not, is screwing someone with a local family on a fixed income out of hunting that have kids wanting to hunt shock shock shock Be real, the few leases that are out there isn’t screwing anyone. Regardless of a lease or not, only a couple individuals will get permission for a parcel of land and everyone else is told to keep out.
    That is the purpose of public land and public access programs. Kids don’t get screwed by the land owners. They get screwed by dirt bag lazy parents that don’t invest the time to find these opportunities. smash

Ok, can’t let this go. So if I give permission with no access fee or lease, I’m a good guy. But if I recover some of my costs as a land owner on a parcel that I don’t personally hunt by leasing to some one, I’m screwing people????? jester jester Dude, I think its time to set your drink down and have a serious reality check wave

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>riverruns wrote:</div>

Could photoshop pics and make a 400″ and someone would believe itrotflol

Just answering the OP’s question. No need to sling mud on the topic.

But since you went there…… doah ….I guess that every property owner that has said “NO” for permission, regardless of a lease or not, is screwing someone with a local family on a fixed income out of hunting that have kids wanting to hunt shock shock shock Be real, the few leases that are out there isn’t screwing anyone. Regardless of a lease or not, only a couple individuals will get permission for a parcel of land and everyone else is told to keep out.
    That is the purpose of public land and public access programs. Kids don’t get screwed by the land owners. They get screwed by dirt bag lazy parents that don’t invest the time to find these opportunities. smash

Ok, can’t let this go. So if I give permission with no access fee or lease, I’m a good guy. But if I recover some of my costs as a land owner on a parcel that I don’t personally hunt by leasing to some one, I’m screwing people????? jester jester Dude, I think its time to set your drink down and have a serious reality check wave

applause

Ryan King
    Participant

Lori,

Not sure if you have already found someone to take on your lease but I would be interested in talking to you about your property with you and figuring out a fair price for both parties. We are ethical hunters and would respect your investment if it turns out to be the right piece for our group. We currently lease a large parcel of land and are only looking for a new home because the owner has decided to sell the land leaving us potentially without a place to hunt. Please reach out at your convienence as I would be willing to get you my contact info to discuss.

Best Regards,
    Ryan

locolocal
    Participant

Lori-
    I have hunted extended family property in the Portage/Pardeville area for the last 10 years. Your property is in prime big buck country. I would think you should have no problem getting $1500-2500 for the archery season(s).

100 acres of timber can support 2-3 hunters easy. A small group of archers that are familiar with South Central WI and interested in having a real opportunity to hunt the rut and potentially shoot a legit P&Y or Booner, should be willing to pony up the dough.

Your note is late notice however…you need to get your note in Craigslist in June so guys can get in there and tune the property up (get cameras up, scout, hang stands, trim shooting lanes, etc…).

Good luck!

Ridgely Oliver
    Participant

Hey guys, I completely understand what your going through trying to lease. I have 175 acres at the very most northern part of Maine. In fact, at the end of my lane I can through a fishing lures across the Street John river (The river that divides US and Canada) and hit Canada. You will constantly here about the long standing “customary” approach to hunting on private land in Maine and other similiar states and that is ask and you automatically get permission. Yes, maybe years ago it was that way 1) because there was way less residential and commercial structures and way more undeveloped land,less 2) lower crime rate and 3) just an entirely different mentality of farmers and large tract land owners 4) land was cheaper and easier to obtain 5) laws that have changed and it doesn’t stop at 5) there are way more variables. This world and forums has a multitude of audiences swaying both way for one reason or the other. Trust me, I went through thiexact same stuff when I marketed mine on a deer hunting fb forums. Facts are facts tho. I go to thinking and thought If every large land owner is just supposed to up an let anyone hunt, then why did I go out and spend all this money for the land and all the seed, fuel for tractors, horticulture supplies etc and why didn’t I just spend a quarter of what I just spent and buy an acre with a house on it,go out and hunt the places that people already did all the work and spent all the money for me and live happily ever after. Da,I think that’s pretty much a no brainer if recouping the cost of my taxes, food plots, cost of land, maintenance etc is unethical in these people’s eyes so be it. I looked up every single person on there crying about me wanting to lease my land and they were all pretty much just bums and most of them were either renting trailers on an acre of ground or own between 1-5 acres. Still to this day I’ve not got a solid answer on what to charge. I say take into the consideration how much you have in everything and how much it cost to maintain it and get every single penny back bc the labor alone not including purchasing the land and materials is worth a heck of a lot more than those materials. I’m a New Home Builder and Labor without fail equals 3_5 times the cost of the Materials.

I have had a lot of interest from guides but haven’t had s chance to meet with them yet bc now I’m back in Pa at my other house. I’ll be leaving in about a month to go back up then I won’t be back to PA until Christmas.. if anyone hear is interested drop me a line or respond to the post. I have plenty of Moose, WhitetaiI (huge) black bear, coyotes, huge bobcats, lynx etc. The black bear are the nuisance and they are everywhere like Pa has deer. It’s nothing to see 5 a day. I have a 55 acre field and a 15 acre field in the back and all day long those bear meander across the field, constantly in my driveway etc.. I have some Redbone Coonhounds and I leave them out I’f the Bear get to close to the cabin.. Best wishes but don’t feel bad if you post it and don’t let someone work on your emotions saying things like “wouldn’t it be worth it if you left a child get his first moose or bear or an older veterans, just wouldn’t that make you feel so special” My answer is yes if it was my son but absolutely not if it’s someone else’s kid or grampa. honestly I could care less about a child’s first kill if I don’t know them. Just saying. Hope this helps. Best wishes )

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Bad topic. I have land and I also lease land for hunting.

How bad do you want to screw someone with a local family on a fixed income out of hunting that have kids wanting to hunt? Or how much do you want to get out of a Cityitt with lots of $. Why don’t you just advertise and set a price?

Ruraltards can make just as much money as citiots…and go hunt public if you can’t afford it.

Deleted
    Participant

The day I have to pay for land access to hunt, is the day I’m done hunting.

Those types paying for hunting land seem to be the same crowd that take animals inside of fenced off land.

I wonder if I could get any takers that would pay to fish out of the bathtub, if I charge a ridiculously high enough price. It could be the next big thing.

Smellson
    Participant

Those types paying for hunting land seem to be the same crowd that take animals inside of fenced off land.

I wonder if I could get any takers that would pay to fish out of the bathtub, if I charge a ridiculously high enough price. It could be the next big thing.

Arguably one of the dummer statements I’ve seen lately….

The 2×4 must be missing.

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>

Agree. I do not hunt much, nor do I pay to hunt any land. But, helping out a landowner with taxes is far from fishing out of a bathtub.

Having land is very expensive! Buying land and paying taxes is very expensive! Paying someone a few hundred dollars or $1,000 to help offset those expenses to hunt their land is not only a good deal but being very respectful in my opinion.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Aint that the truth. I think that gaining access to hunt private land, especially for deer, is becoming very difficult but “hunting” a deer inside a pen is rock bottom. A lot of poeple don’t even try anymore. Don’t you just love it when one of these guys posts a photo of a nice 10 pointer they shot at a pen? Really no different than going to a game farm and shooting barn raised birds. Sure, it guarantees results, but at a ridiculous price without the reward of actually having the challenge of harvesting a wild animal or bird.

blank
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Smellson wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>

Agree. I do not hunt much, nor do I pay to hunt any land. But, helping out a landowner with taxes is far from fishing out of a bathtub.

Having land is very expensive! Buying land and paying taxes is very expensive! Paying someone a few hundred dollars or $1,000 to help offset those expenses to hunt their land is not only a good deal but being very respectful in my opinion.

That’s ridiculous. You make it sound like owning land is a hardship and the land owner is in need of a break. If that’s the case for the landowner then they should think about selling the property.
    This seems like a case of someone recognizing the potential of making some extra cash off of the property in which is just sitting idle, especially since they themselves must not hunt the property.

Deleted
    Participant

Figured I’d hit a nerve in here with some of you.

It’s ok I guess? Many folks are just not willing (or able) to put the effort in, to actually get proficient at something & they just want the pics and stories to tell. I get it.

That’s why canned hunts, hunting leases, etc exist….. you can even buy taxidermy from total strangers, to hang up in your man-cave. I was shocked that a guy drove 120 miles to buy my neighbors old ratty taxidermy mounts, for his man cave. A real sportsmen I bet.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

We used to hunt private land for waterfowl for years. All we did was talk to the farmer and he gave us permission provided we shot his pigeons.
    Then his son took over the farm. Imagine our surprise when we show up opening day of duck season and then someone else strolls up who leased the land from the son, but we had permission from the dad.
    Anyways, that was the end of our waterfowl hunting there.
    It was the principle of the thing and we werent going to pay for something we simply “paid” our dues by doing him a favor in shooting his pigeons.
    I get it. The son saw an opportunity to make some dough and perhaps it was a buddy of his, not sure. The price wasnt expensive so we certainly could have paid it, had we known, but we were given the opportunity.
    I dont blame a farmer or land owner for asking for something in return. I mean if something really bad happened and you were injured on their property somehow they are liable whether you would chose to go that route anyway.
    I strictly hunt public land now and we never know whats going to happen when the sun comes up on opening morning of deer season. I had a guy walk under my stand at legal shooting time, my son had a guy standing on the trail in front of him, one of my deer stands was stolen and we had some landscaper dumping leaves with the radio blaring.
    So, if getting access on private land with a better chance of not have to deal with all that is worth it to some people.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Wow! Leasing land grants you the ability to hunt a parcel by yourself. Nothing more nothing less. They are wild animals. Don’t compare them to genetic improved pen deer. It’s not in the same conversation.

If you look down on someone that’s willing to spend a little bit of money on his passions to have a more enjoyable hunting season, you need to get off your high horse.

I’ve never even leased land, but have hunted a lot of private land. If you think that gaining access to better land makes it a slam dunk, you’re wrong.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

That’s why canned hunts, hunting leases, etc exist….. you can even buy taxidermy from total strangers, to hang up in your man-cave. I was shocked that a guy drove 120 miles to buy my neighbors old ratty taxidermy mounts, for his man cave. A real sportsmen I bet.

I’m not sure I follow your comment about the taxidermy and conclusion about the fella buying it.

I have several hand carved cedar duck decoys on display in my home. The group consists of both decoys I have carved myself and decoys from other carvers. I also have several paintings and other pieces of art in my home. None of which I’ve done. Would you then say “A real artist I bet.” just because I did not paint the object on display in my home?

Where is it written that one must harvest the animal on display, in order to display and enjoy the mounted fish or animal? I make no claims about the photos, drawings, paintings etc. on display in my home, except for the ones I have done. Why would a display of taxidermy in my home, be any different if no false claims are being made? Taxidermy and other art objects are bought and sold every day.
    I have one painting in particular which I will never sell. I did not paint it, however it is a spitting image of a view I can recall, from a campsite in the BWCA from a trip I made when I was 14 years old. This painting triggers a memory for me that might otherwise be lost, because I have no photos or other objects from that trip.

Maybe the mounts in question trigger memories from a time when the guy did not have the financial means to afford taxidermy of his own animals. I think you judge too harshly with your “real sportsman” comment.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

How’s this different then buying your own land? Are land owners “cheating” then? You crazy.

Some people buy a car…others lease the car. Same difference.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Wow! Leasing land grants you the ability to hunt a parcel by yourself. Nothing more nothing less. They are wild animals. Don’t compare them to genetic improved pen deer. It’s not in the same conversation.

If you look down on someone that’s willing to spend a little bit of money on his passions to have a more enjoyable hunting season, you need to get off your high horse.

Absolutely fair testimony Pat.

We should not assume everyone seeks game pursuits with the greatest amount of challenges. There are many varying levels of reward that individuals can experience. Would we mock a child who caught a 4″ sunfish?

There are many passionate hunters/sportsmen that based on where they live and working full time jobs, family obligations…may not have all the time to scout various hunting parcels in far away places. And if presented an opportunity to legally hunt true “wild” game on private land whether leased or permission granted…does that then make them a “lesser” sportsman?

Are you less of a sportsmen if you hire a fishing guide? Or a hunting guide?

Hunting/fishing recruitment is diminishing with each generation, let’s not set the same “elite” standards for everyone…lest we make the outdoor pursuits even more uninviting.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve never even leased land, but have hunted a lot of private land. If you think that gaining access to better land makes it a slam dunk, you’re wrong.

BINGO!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Hunting/fishing recruitment is diminishing with each generation, let’s not set the same “elite” standards for everyone…lest we make the outdoor pursuits even more uninviting.

This is one of the most important comments in this whole thread. We are not gaining new hunters and the attitudes/comments toward others whose pursuit of hunting and fishing enjoyment differs for “your” view is largely why I think.
    Spending thousands to shoot a penned animal doesnt float my boat, but it may for others.
    At some point we are going to have lost the majority of the sportsmen and women and have no youth to backfill and help carry legislation that is near and dear to us. Why bicker about which way is right or wrong, just rally around each other that share the love of the outdoors.
    I’m not the best deer hunter out there, but I tell you it brings me great pride seeing my 3 boys now suit up in blaze orange to join me in the woods. I will admit I didnt think my youngest (10) was going to be interested in hunting. I took him and his 13 year old brother out on the Youth Firearm hunt and he was so excited when he saw his first deer he was shaking uncontrollably. I bought him new blaze hunting gear and he sat and read a book for 45 minutes with them on while sitting in a chair in the back yard simulating being in the deer woods. This is what its all about and too many people forget that.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

This is one of the most important comments in this whole thread. We are not gaining new hunters and the attitudes/comments toward others whose pursuit of hunting and fishing enjoyment differs for “your” view is largely why I think.
    Spending thousands to shoot a penned animal doesnt float my boat, but it may for others.
    At some point we are going to have lost the majority of the sportsmen and women and have no youth to backfill and help carry legislation that is near and dear to us. Why bicker about which way is right or wrong, just rally around each other that share the love of the outdoors.
    I’m not the best deer hunter out there, but I tell you it brings me great pride seeing my 3 boys now suit up in blaze orange to join me in the woods. I will admit I didnt think my youngest (10) was going to be interested in hunting. I took him and his 13 year old brother out on the Youth Firearm hunt and he was so excited when he saw his first deer he was shaking uncontrollably. I bought him new blaze hunting gear and he sat and read a book for 45 minutes with them on while sitting in a chair in the back yard simulating being in the deer woods. This is what its all about and too many people forget that.

100% agree!!! Also as an FYI the original post was made August 2017 so let’s not get too worked up here.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

I wanted to share a lease with some friends a few years back and a few of them complained it cost to much cause the farmer wanted his tax on the property covered. I don’t think the farmer was in the wrong at all for asking what he did. Why should he have to let us have fun for free on his land he works his ass of for.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I hunt on our family land just north of Alma WI in Buffalo County. Good luck even finding someone willing to lease out their land, much less for some of the small fees mentioned. The few farmers in the area that will offer a hunting lease seem to do it for one group, one sum for all seasons with access to all their acreage (~160 wooded on average). However, you’d be lucky to find someone willing to do it for under 4-5 THOUSAND $$$, not HUNDRED…and that’d be with a lot of riders in the contract regarding who, advanced notice, tree stands, vehicles, etc.

To the original question: Land is expensive to maintain and pay taxes on…so is hunting and everything else in life for that matter. If you lease your land for dirt cheap to someone with no personal connection, the clientele you attract could be challenging. We think much the same when deciding what to charge for rent in our duplex down the road. If you aren’t hurting for cash, I’d charge a fairly steep price and let the supply and demand of quality private land do its thing.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.