Handgun Complete Build Kit?

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

A buddy is building a 9mm from a complete kit he bought. Seems cool to me. I’d be interested in doing a .45 to carry in the mountains for bears and cats. From the little I know, and it ain’t much, I lean to a Glock. I can only find a 1911 model in a kit that isn’t sold out in the .45.

What are the pros and cons of the Glock vs. the 1911?

Anyone here ever done a complete build kit like this?

Coletrain27

I’m assuming your talking about the 80% guns? I’ve not built one myself and don’t really see the hype in them. Would rather spend about the same price and have a warranty and know there gonna function if your life is on the line IMO.

If your looking for a gun to carry in the mountains a 10mm would be my choice and Glock makes a nice one. You will get more capacity with a Glock compared to a 1911 if that matters

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Take a look and ballistics gel tests of 45 vs 10mm…
    10mm penetrates deeper but the bullets dont cut near as big of a hole as 45 does.

Comparing 1911 and Glock is the equivilant of a ford/chevy or vexilar/marcum debate. Glock and 1911 have the two strongest followings in the handgun world.

Personally, if given the choice of
    -10mm or 45 for bear defence I would go 45.
    -Glock/1911 I would go Glock, Im not a fan of the ergonomics of 1911.
    -safety/no safety
    – hammer/striker fired

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would just buy a glock in 45. Not 10mm. And I wouldn’t mess around building a kit. For reasons stated above

watisituya
    North Metro

Glock G40 MOS was my choice… Already had a G30 and was told by locals I needed something bigger.

Jeff Gilberg

Very different guns. Hold and shoot both yourself. Grip angle, single action vs striker fired, capacity, etc. both good guns, just very different. Go for the one that you like and points for you. The kits you complete yourself are usually not a persons first handgun.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Having shot and reloaded a fair bit for handguns and hunted with handguns for over a decade now, I can tell you that the ballistics of the big auto cartridges are laughably bad when compared to long case revolver chambering. I know everybody’s gaga over the 10 MM now, but IMO the 10 MM just makes a marginal improvement on bad.

A 44 magnum drives 180 to 200-grain bullets at roughly 15-1700 FPS. A 10 MM auto drives the same bullet weights at only 900-1100 fps.

Look at what people like guides carry in serious-serious bear country. It is almost exclusively revolvers in the 44 and up class. Bullet choice is also much better in the revolver cartridges.

The only way to survive a disagreement with a bear when armed with a handgun is going to be maximum penetration. You want a hard bullet that does not deform on impact and you want to drive it as hard and fast and deep as possible so it has a chance at punching through bone and getting to vitals while creating a wound channel.

Auto guns are great for plinking and defense against soft, weak, slow 2-footed predators.

michael keehr

I have to agree with above statement get a revolver and don’t look back. 44 454 480 500 all will be far better than a 10 mm.

Coletrain27

i had mentioned 10mm because he was talking about autos. yes there are far more powerful rounds out there with a revolver

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

i had mentioned 10mm because he was talking about autos.

I understand, but when it comes to killing animals and bear defense, I thought a relative comparison was in order. Most guys fall in love with the so-called “big” autos and they don’t understand just how bad the ballistics really are. A 10 MM is a marginal whitetail handgun cartridge and only then for very, very close range. For bears, well, as they say, draw your own conclusions.

That doesn’t mean the .45 and 10 aren’t fun handguns. Although I have to admit I also don’t understand this kit gun deal. Maybe they were better deals before the latest panic.

Grouse

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>
    i had mentioned 10mm because he was talking about autos.

I understand, but when it comes to killing animals and bear defense, I thought a relative comparison was in order. Most guys fall in love with the so-called “big” autos and they don’t understand just how bad the ballistics really are. A 10 MM is a marginal whitetail handgun cartridge and only then for very, very close range. For bears, well, as they say, draw your own conclusions.

That doesn’t mean the .45 and 10 aren’t fun handguns. Although I have to admit I also don’t understand this kit gun deal. Maybe they were better deals before the latest panic.

Grouse

i know the 80% guns were cheaper before but now the glock kits are like the same price as a new one off the shelf. the biggest draw to them is that they are “ghost guns” and untraceable

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

the biggest draw to them is that they are “ghost guns” and untraceable

I agree this is the reason for the 80% kits. weather it be AR lowers or glock/1911 lowers. Very hot item right now

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

When I lived in Alaska choosing the right weapon to carry as bear defense is serious business. I would discuss this with a few guides or people that know more about this, I use to carry a 12 gauge short barrel pistol grip on a sling with a back up 45. The 45 had the sights filed off so when the bear shoved it up your a$$ it didn’t hurt so much!!

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

the biggest draw to them is that they are “ghost guns” and untraceable

I agree this is the reason for the 80% kits. weather it be AR lowers or glock/1911 lowers. Very hot item right now

yes, this is the main reason I am considering a kit. Interesting thoughts on the revolver vs the auto. I’m not terrible knowledgeable, obviously, so I’ll do a little digging more into this. Thanks guys.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

i know the 80% guns were cheaper before but now the glock kits are like the same price as a new one off the shelf. the biggest draw to them is that they are “ghost guns” and untraceable

You pay less taxes and less fees.
    Did this with an AR this summer.

Coletrain27

You pay less taxes and less fees.
    Did this with an AR this summer.

What fees?

Coletrain27

I usually like to buy local and don’t have to pay fees, but yea I see what your saying

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.