Hammer'n P-Dogs in Wyoming 2014

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Yes, plenty of P-dogs were eliminated in the making of this video

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

If anyone is offended by Randy’s video, please keep in mind that he previously established an Al Quieda link to the colony. I hear he’s working on a drone strike solution as well. Randy if you figure out how to do that please post video.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Randy,

What equipment did you use for the recording of this hunt? What distance were you recording from?

Thanks for sharing.

FDR

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

FDR – Since I’m not out looking for super high quality…and the fact that we shot one of my cameras last year, I’m keeping it simple.
    Canon VIXIA HF R32 with 51X zoop on a basic tripod.
    Temp wise, it ranged from about low 90’s to just about 100 degrees in the mid afternoon.
    The closet shot on here is probably the head shot at about 160. I don’t remember exactly other than arguing with my nephew. He swore I missed until he ran out to the hole and saw the thing dead in there. Average on the two colonies I hit was about 300yrds, some a little shorter and a lot that were out much further. What is edited out is the “dead visual”time. It was super fun to watch all the raw video. For every one on camera, I have 3 to 10 shots that I took that were out of the screen. Cool to hear the report back from that whack when you set them airborne at 400+yrds.
    In most cases, I just set the camera on a few mounds and when they popped up or ran over I splatted (real word?) them with a 55gr Nosler @ just about 3900fps.
    Oh, one other thing I thought of. I’m just shooting with a 7″-9” bipod lying on a foam mat. The camera is elevated 2 feet or better over my head. Often you could see more rats in the tall grass from the camera and never see them through the scope. I didn’t bring a shooting table with me on either of these spots.

Gary,
    Drones….well, I’m getting pretty dang close. Did we talk about this while suffering extreme sleep derivation out on the lake?? I’ve got a method dialed in for finding some very nice colonies well off the beaten path and not too educated. See pics below. From a 1000 miles away I was able to guide my brother-n-law that lives out there to within 50 yrds of where he needed to sit at.

Attachments:
    1. rat-hole-2.jpg

2. rat-holes-1.jpg

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I would love to fit a day of P Dog shooting next year on my Elk trip. Looks like a ton of fun!

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Wow, does that look fun. New bucket list item.

Thanks for sharing!

tucrs
    NW Metro

This is awesome!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

All I need to go back is an excuse…………and gas money

gary d
    cordova,il

Does look like fun!! In a way it’s like the old days going to the garbage dump and shooting rats at night with the high beam on the old pickup.LOL Those days are long gone……

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

OMG Fish!!! I had forgotten about those times. Shot a 12 gauge for the first time at the dump.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Every kid needs to experience that. Back then, a dump was cheap day care. Dad dropped me and my cousins off with a box of pellets for the air rifles and came back later. Learned a lot about ricochets!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

FDR – Since I’m not out looking for super high quality…and the fact that we shot one of my cameras last year…

Whaaaaaat? Like was this a situation where the camera broke a tripod leg and had to be put down?

I know it’s twisted, but is there any video of you shooting the video camera?

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

we got the wise idea to put the camera “B” way out in the colony to get a few close-ups while we were shooting. After a lot of debate of who shot it, that will remain a life long mystery.

wkw

Cool vid, Randy
    Not alot of suffering and pain for most of them. LOL
    WKW

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I’m offended there weren’t any voiceovers put in for the P-dogs: “Hey Phil, did you dig a new hole today? You know what I told you about digging holes around the kitchen… when you–*Splat*–Dangit Phil that’s why you don’t dig new–*Splat*” Maybe I’m just a little twisted…

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Very nice Randy but you’re kling me. I am sitting in Littelton Co with a great view but no time to squeeze and hunting into this trip. I have a work conference tomorrow and Tuesday but I plan to hit at least one on the Cabela’s stores before I leave – it’s just not the same…

Thanks for sharing
    Dave

kooty
    Keymaster

I would have made you proud today Randy. Epic last minute nothing to do hunt today.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3644_2.jpg

2. IMG_3638_2.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Nothing like the soft touch of the trigger, the smell of burnt powder in the air, and a few rats absorbing some lead!

kooty
    Keymaster

I hadn’t shot P-dogs in far too long. I forgot just how much fun it is. The biggest thing I gained was a ton of confidence in my abilities with my 22-250. I can’t wait to call in that first yote this fall.

I don’t know if I told you this, but I moved my Burris 4.5 -14 over to this gun. Love the BDC reticle for this application.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m seriously thinking about an XTR II 8x-40x-50mm.(I know, kind of spendy) After connecting on a P/dog at 780 yrds, I really want to set up another for strictly 400 yrds and up. one oif these years, we need a IDO P/dog shoot. Rent a bus and head west

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.