It’s almost go time

• bob_bergeson
    Participant
    cannon falls

Don’t let this new snow get you down For those of us that will be frost seeding we are only looking at 2-3 weeks before we should be spreading seed.It is ok to have some seed on top of the snow.I would expect that most of my last years clover/afalfa seeding was killed during the cold snap that we had without the protective snowcover that we needed.
    I usually frost seed at 1/2 rate, but this year I will be seeding at full rate again

gobbler
    Participant
    Central, MN

Great reminder Bob. It’s not too early to be thinking about food plots. Can’t wait for some of the white stuff to be gone and see the plants sprouting out of the ground.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

My last time to the farm the snow was up to my waist and I am 6’4″. We got a bunch more this week. I sure hope your right that most of that will be gone in 3 weeks. I will be there this weekend doing some hinge cuttiing, but I think I will leave the clover seed at home

todders
    Participant
    Shoreview, MN

I can’t wait to get back at it! I am planning on mixing imperial and ladino clover 50/50 on my two big plots and working on some other ideas to make some smaller harvest plots less palatable early on. Spring is in the air and it is time to get our hands dirty!!!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Here in south central WI, we have been plagued with ice. When the top 12″ is solid ice and not frost, its hard on grasses and clover.

bob_bergeson
    Participant
    cannon falls

It’s go time for frost seeding in southern mn
    I have several acres that will be seeded this week.
    The areas up by the cabin are still a week away but the long wait is over

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I can’t wait to get started. Got a screaming hot deal on 25lbs of jumbo ladino clover and heading to the farm this weekend. Prolly just shed hunt and do some more hinge cutting as I think up there we will still have too much snow. The weather is perfect now for frost seeding though. Warm up and thawing during the day and freezing back up at night.

bob_bergeson
    Participant
    cannon falls

Quote:

I can’t wait to get started. Got a screaming hot deal on 25lbs of jumbo ladino clover and heading to the farm this weekend. Prolly just shed hunt and do some more hinge cutting as I think up there we will still have too much snow. The weather is perfect now for frost seeding though. Warm up and thawing during the day and freezing back up at night.

This forcast s the best I have seen in years for frost seeding Good luck and enjoy the time spent in the field

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.