Fall plots are in

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Very….VERY COOL!!!

Great job Bob & Dan. Congrats to IDO for capturing it on video!

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Cool video!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Great video Bob…very informative and exciting!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

I got the fall plots put in this last weekend. Overall there are 7 different plots, totaling almost 5 acres, between 2 properties. The two properties are about 12 miles apart and I was able to get every thing sprayed and dried up the week prior. Got every thing mowed down friday night after work and hit it hard on Saturday (13hrs).

I changed up the fall plots a bit from last year. This year I planted a mix of Purple Top turnips and Tillage Radishes. Last year this mix was Purple Top turnips and Tillage Radishes along with sugar beets. The beets were sub par last year so I spring planted them and compensated seeding rates for the other two. I also planted Buck Forage Oats and Winter Wheat as well as several mixes of the two. The last several years I spring planted normal wheat and disced it down the same time I planted fall plots. This produced new growth as I also planted separate BF Oat plots. This is the first Winter wheat year and I am trying out the mix/singular planting to see what the deer like most. Plus I want to see how much the WW gets used in the spring compared to the clover plots.

I also mowed all of my clovers on Saturday as well as my spring planted brassicas. The Spring brassicas are a mix of Kale/Rapeseed/Chicory. The Kale and Rapeseed do suffer some after I do this, however new growth occurs (growth that is not woody like these plants get after several months) and the chicory booms. Overall I’ve found this to work nearly as well as if I planted this mix in the fall plantings, only difference is I get the added bonus of earlier season nutrition for the deer.

Pic 1- Turnips and Radishes, before roll packing, in the middle of a corn plot. Corn on this property just starting to tassel due to wet spring and late planting here.

Pic 2- Roll packed Turnips and Radishes. On the tip of a finger in the ridge line. Sorghum to the left. Every thing slopes steeply away from this piece so tree stands are not available. We plant sorghum to ‘seclude’ this plot visually for deer and the sorghum can be planted thicker in order to really hide ground blinds

Pic 3- Another dirt picture! This is a ridge line BF Oats/WW mix, see how it turns out

Pic 4- Ag beans are finally catching up after the late spring this is one of many bean strips, but you get to see this one cause it had the least volunteer corn

Pic 5- One of last years Alfalfa plantings going strong (incroaching 3rd cutting length even with garbage spring)

Anyways, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to write a short thread on food plots cause I’m food plot crazy (insert Graemlin that looks batcrazy) so sorry for the length.

lick

Good stuff Brady ! Your hard work will be rewarded one of these years

lick

(insert Graemlin that looks batcrazy)

I found a few

TomLester
    Buffalo MN

Great pics and write up.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome! Thanks for sharing with us. I hope you get to shoot a monster this year over all your hard work.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Never apologize for length! It’s nice to know what we’re looking at. You have put some serious work in and I hope you take the air out of a beast ! Thanks for sharing.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Insert Green with Envy Gremlin

Dude you got it going on down there for sure! I have 1 plot I planted this year

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Thanks for the compliments guys. I know you all do more than your fair share of plots and its awesome to be able to chat back and forth about what every one is doing and what works/doesn’t work.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Quote:

Good stuff Brady ! Your hard work will be rewarded one of these years

This post reminds me of a thread that I have yet to make. If I get some time over the weekend I will try and write up the story. If any of you remember, I spent 09′ and 10′ chasing “Sticker.” Well, last year I shot ”Sticker”…….. I think even Steven Spielberg would struggle to make this story up

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

This post reminds me of a thread that I have yet to make. If I get some time over the weekend I will try and write up the story. If any of you remember, I spent 09′ and 10′ chasing “Sticker.” Well, last year I shot ”Sticker”…….. I think even Steven Spielberg would struggle to make this story up

It would be great to hear this story!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice job! That takes a lot of planning, preparation and time. It feels good doesn’t it? It will feel even better once you have a big boy on the ground this fall.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Awesome write up, and photos thanks for sharing!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.