gun control bill

• Brittman

Mental illness is a tricky one. HIPPA will prevent disclosure to most others and most agencies. Are spouses, parents, or adult children even allowed to know that someone you know is diagnosed ?

When the state starts to dictate who should not own a firearm (based on mental illness) … a new slippery slope is uncovered…

Legally purchasing and possession of firearms vs. simply possessing firearms (illegally) is another situation that presents some rather high hurdles to effectively enforce. Most criminals simply possess firearms via illegal purchase … no background check needed.

Simple random stops while extremely unconstitutional did likely help reduce the amount of illegal firearms out there … whole other discussion though, right ??

Brittman

Per CDC report:

Homicides occur in women of all ages and among all races/ethnicities, but young, racial/ethnic minority women are disproportionately affected. Over half of female homicides for which circumstances were known were related to intimate partner violence (IPV). Arguments and jealousy were common precipitating circumstances among IPV-related homicides. One in 10 victims of IPV-related homicide were reported to have experienced violence in the month preceding their deaths.

Does MN automatically remove possession of all firearms from an individual when a restraining order is issued tied to domestic violence or any violence against another person (for that matter) ?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Government won’t be the answer to any of these tragedies. Our 2 party system is so deeply rooted in despising and opposing the “other side” to ever accomplish much.

I’m not sure our elected leaders from either party could work to complete a finger painting together much less tackle a mental health crisis with increasing violent outbreaks.

Brittman

Totally agree Bucky …

Let me add that today’s press (if you can still call it that) further aggravates the situation. The social agenda of many so-called journalists (IMO) is worse than the politicians. At least with Politicians you know what you are getting …

If you couple in social media effects … instantaneous responses and journalism’s attempts to keep pace with this instantaneous response …

too often the whole story is not accurately shared and worse … informational fact checks are ignored or missed.

CaptainMusky

One really makes you wonder what tripped with a 28 year old to go back to a school she attended which is only a school up to 6th grade and shoot up the place. That is a lot of time to pass to return and do something like that. More needs to be researched on why this happened.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

More needs to be researched on why this happened.

There is security footage of the individual entering the school. She shot the door/glass to get in.

I’m interested in knowing if this individual acquired the weapons legally or illegally. I’m sure that will be revealed as the investigation continues.

CaptainMusky

Makes sense. Most schools are pretty dang secure these days. My wife and kid’s school district you cannot even get past the first set of doors and one press of a button a metal gate comes down in seconds beyond the second set of doors shutting them off from the entire school. I cannot say if the glass is bullet proof or not, probably not, but they arent getting past that metal gate once its down. Beyond this gate there are solid steel doors and slam shut too with no glass in them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Most schools are pretty dang secure these days.

Something to bear in mind here is that this was a private religious school. So the same set of safety standards may not be applicable to the one’s your wife and kids see every day at a public school.

CaptainMusky

Very true Gim. Its such a sickening and sad deal. The school was only up to 6th grade right?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The school was only up to 6th grade right?

Yes, that’s correct from what I’ve read.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘gun control bill’ is closed to new replies.