gun control bill

• B-man
    Participant

Signed and shared

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Signed.

Instead of making noise here, those who feel like sounding off should be writing to those legislators who support this stuff and let them know that you’ll be supporting every effort that comes along in removing them from the legislature come next voting time. Dumping your ideologies here does nothing.

Like that will have any more effect than Making noise here or signing the petition will. The people pushing this crap are getting their votes from people who could care less about this bill. Remember criminal could care less about Laws. They don’t follow them in the 1st place. That’s why they are criminals.

Tlazer
    Participant

Should I buy a gun now? I’m 40 yo and don’t own any gun but maybe now is the time?

Yes, but like others have said after taking a gun safety course. Even a concealed carry course and make sure there is actual live supervised shooting during the training session. Doing the safety course first will give you a better idea of what type of gun you like and would want to purchase. Some gun shop owners/workers are good sources of info especially if you’re not familiar with guns, and do a good job helping those that aren’t the most knowledgeable. Other gun shop owner are just obnoxious and think they are experts and will tell you as much, and those are the ones to avoid like the plague.

mmitties
    Participant
    SE MN

This is the short version of the new gun bill.

Registration of all firearms
    Registration of all magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds
    Registration of all .50 caliber firearms
    A ban on purchasing essentially any new semi-automatic rifles (an “assault weapons” ban)
    Mandatory lost & stolen reporting
    No more than one gun purchase every 30 days
    Police Chiefs would now issue permits to carry
    You would be required an obtain a permit to own any firearm
    Permits would require physical and mental health testing
    Permits and firearms ownership would require liability insurance
    Firearms could not be carried on any government property or inside any government facility – even with a permit to carry
    It would be a crime to carry past a sign prohibiting carry at a private establishment
    and MANY other restrictions on your Second Amendment rights

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

fishthumper…..i tend to agree……but if your a gun owner…….you need to start somewhere. AND if i had a state rep or senator that supported this they’d hear from me!!!!!!

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

The people pushing this crap are getting there votes from people who could care less about this bill. Remember criminal could care less about Laws

Haha are you saying all democrats are criminals or that only criminals vote for democrats lol? Might wanna rethink that statement… or maybe you dont… lol

Signed the petition and thanks for sharing

Riverrat
    Participant

SF 1116 is under debate at the Judiciary and Public Safety Senate committee at 8:30 this am. This bill has the rules for requiring a background check for person to person transfers and red flag laws in the state of MN. Something to watch. I believe it may be recorded and available on leg.mn.gov

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

Like that will have any more effect than Making noise here or signing the petition will. The people pushing this crap are getting there votes from people who could care less about this bill.

Wrong. The politicians that cook this $hit up KNOW that people posting their political views on sites like this seldom, if ever, have the courage or take the time to address these issues directly at the politician’s level…. meaning contacting the politician directly.

Bringing these issues to light in a forum like this does nothing but give some folks license to whine and blame someone, like those who put these damned people in office, and never addresses the issue directly at hand. There’s enough political divisiveness on these sites so why not do something pro-active and actually contact the person writing the proposal and letting him/her know exactly how you feel about said proposal? There is no “try to it. Either you contact them or you don’t. Its like trying to sit, there is no half way.

The politicians don’t read these forums or the political noise made here because they know that everyone posting here has a paper a-hole and will not confront them directly. You have to go to the source to make a difference and that does not include relying on digital petitions or emails. If you can afford to fish, you can afford a piece of paper, an envelope and a stamp.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have to agree with Mr. Jimmy.

Emails to politicians are not as effective as an in person meeting.
    Just trying to change some silly catfish laws has been a PIA.

It’s too easy to read an email or even a letter then move on to more important things like ”who’s taking me to lunch today”.

There are some that have assistants that read what’s on forums and report back to the boss but that’s as far as it goes. This is not to be confused with the boots on the ground folks at the MN/WI DNR’s, but that’s another subject.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

fishthumper…..i tend to agree……but if your a gun owner…….you need to start somewhere. AND if i had a state rep or senator that supported this they’d hear from me!!!!!!

I don’t disagree. I signed the petition and have sent many letters to state rep’s as well as senators in the past. I do it even though I don’t think it has any effect. The ones who are going to vote for this crap are going to do so no matter how many petitions they see or how many letters they get. Its just the way the non working political system works these days.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Haha are you saying all democrats are criminals or that only criminals vote for democrats lol? Might wanna rethink that statement… or maybe you dont…

I’ll let you decide that one yourself. My statement stands as posted !!!

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

Letters can work in many ways. Every newspaper has a “letters to the editor” type of section. Carefully worded letters to that section gives the letter a pretty darned far-reaching impact to many who likely share your concerns. You have to use your real name in those places but doing so gives you far more credibility than to hide behind an internet moniker. A carefully worded letter to the editor that also states that a letter directly sent to a targeted politician with NO REPLY will get plenty of attention at that politician’s office and in the masses that vote.

As Brian has mentioned, make an appointment to meet directly with the author of the legislation you want to address. Many, if not most, of these people have satellite offices in their hometowns and they may opt to meet there saving a trip to the capitol zoo.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Wrong. The politicians that cook this $hit up KNOW that people posting their political views on sites like this seldom, if ever, have the courage or take the time to address these issues directly at the politician’s level…. meaning contacting the politician directly.

Once again I don’t disagree. I’ve said it prior and will say it again. Sportsman in general don’t do a good enough job of making their views heard. They are often Hard working people who want to spend the majority of their free time out doing the things they love. Then again I often feel like even if someone takes the time to send a letter ( which I have fairly often ) to current politicians it has little to no effect. These days the thing that has the most effect on politicians is $$$$ and unless sportsman are willing to pump a ton of it into the system they are not going to get much done to stop all this BS. I will repeat ” The current system is broken and no longer works the way it was designed to ”

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Letters can work in many ways. Every newspaper has a “letters to the editor” type of section. Carefully worded letters to that section gives the letter a pretty darned far-reaching impact to many who likely share your concerns. You have to use your real name in those places but doing so gives you far more credibility than to hide behind an internet moniker. A carefully worded letter to the editor that also states that a letter directly sent to a targeted politician with NO REPLY will get plenty of attention at that politician’s office and in the masses that vote.

As Brian has mentioned, make an appointment to meet directly with the author of the legislation you want to address. Many, if not most, of these people have satellite offices in their hometowns and they may opt to meet there saving a trip to the capitol zoo.

Emphasis on “carefully worded”. If you have bad grammar and write in to an editorial, I automatically take the opposite side being argued.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Every newspaper has a “letters to the editor” type of section

A carefully worded letter to the editor that also states that a letter directly sent to a targeted politician with NO REPLY will get plenty of attention at that politician’s office and in the masses that vote.

You are assuming that the editor or owner of the paper agrees with you on the matter. You may not have noticed, but these days often the Media do not often agree with issues like this. I can assure you that if they do not, your letter to them will never get posted. I know because I have tried to send letters to newspaper editors and never had mine posted.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Take away – never vote for a democrat.

Its comments like these that gets threads dusted. Glenn initially posted this asking for a simple petition, specifically asking to avoid pure political commentary. Thanks again though.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^ thanks Gimruis!!!!!!! waytogo EXACTLY!!!!!

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

Signed – legislators targeted -again- with a messaged from me

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

What’s important is whatever side of the aisle you are on, if you disagree with some or all of these bills, have your voice heard. I know plenty of Democrats who own “assault rifles” that say, try to come and get em… especially when your talking about a Remington 7400 Semi Auto… by definition of some politicians.. an assault rifle.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I emailed both my Senator and Rep yesterday, both Republicans, and they both followed up in short order. My rep actually called me last night, so I was pretty impressed with the follow up. However, basically they both said separately, they don’t have any influence on anything, and the Dems are not even discussing this or any bills with them. So enjoy the ride fellas. Only hope is if you are in a close to split district with a Democrat representative, and you can get a bunch of people to contact them and get them to flip or at least not support some of these crazy bills.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Only hope is if you are in a close to split district with a Democrat representative, and you can get a bunch of people to contact them and get them to flip or at least not support some of these crazy bills.

Good luck with that – Like you said enjoy the ride.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

“One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

I emailed both my Senator and Rep yesterday, both Republicans, and they both followed up in short order. My rep actually called me last night, so I was pretty impressed with the follow up. However, basically they both said separately, they don’t have any influence on anything, and the Dems are not even discussing this or any bills with them. So enjoy the ride fellas. Only hope is if you are in a close to split district with a Democrat representative, and you can get a bunch of people to contact them and get them to flip or at least not support some of these crazy bills.

its not that i think they are lying but what exactly did you expect them to say? “yes we have the power and influence to change this but we are refusing to…” Blaming the other side of the aisle is response #1, 2, 3, 4, 5….100 in every politicians lexicon

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

There are a number of “Rural Democrats” who do not support much of this proposed gun legislation. So there is somewhat lower chance this gets shoved through.

-J.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

There are a number of “Rural Democrats” who do not support much of this proposed gun legislation. So there is somewhat lower chance this gets shoved through.

-J.

Well lets hope its not the same folks that just made us a “transgender refugee state”

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

its not that i think they are lying but what exactly did you expect them to say? “yes we have the power and influence to change this but we are refusing to…” Blaming the other side of the aisle is response #1, 2, 3, 4, 5….100 in every politicians lexicon

It’s not that they are blaming the other side, I agree that is politics 101. It’s that due to the Dems holding both the House, Senate and Governor office there is no “horse trading” or compromise. The Dems are not even listening. Which is fine, they are able to do so from the results of the last election. And frankly the R’s are so poorly run in this state they are reaping what they sow. But most of these issues are pretty evenly split overall, politically, and the overwhelming majority of the outstate feels differently. So “One Minnesota” as Warden Walz claims to support, would mean some more middle ground, not all far left. And historically one of the best things about MN politics is we are a purple state, with power fluctuating a little from right to left. This is unprecedented.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

There are a number of “Rural Democrats” who do not support much of this proposed gun legislation. So there is somewhat lower chance this gets shoved through

So the question is, Do they have the courage to vote their own belief’s and those of the people they represent, or do they simply vote the party line????

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

^^^^ that’s what totally baffles me. Voting the party line not there beliefs or what there constituents want them to do coffee

But I reckon that’s to much common sense. crazy

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

This is my opinion based on reports and polling data results I have read.

Rural democrats are not in favor of laws requiring they store and lock guns separate from ammo, red flag laws, banning AR type guns. But would support other parts like universal background checks, more training for permit holders.

Put the bill up for a vote as it sits now, not likely to pass.

At the end of the day there will likely be some new gun laws passed so democratic legislators can boast at election time “Hey, we passed important new gun laws and the republicans did not support any of them!”

-J.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Storing guns separate from ammo makes zero sense. If they are secure they are secure. The people writing this legislation have no clue how anything works.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘gun control bill’ is closed to new replies.