Guide Recomendations St. Louis River

• eyellaw10

Myself and a buddy is hoping to do some walleye fishing on the river at the end of this month. We’re looking for a guide or suggestions on where to shore fish for walleyes. Not going to be a pig, just need a few for the frying pan.

eyellaw10

I need to add that I will be shore fishing if I don’t find a guide. I’ve also heard that late July is a bad time for River Walleye on the St.Louis – is that true?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I need to add that I will be shore fishing if I don’t find a guide. I’ve also heard that late July is a bad time for River Walleye on the St.Louis – is that true?

July is definitely not your best time to be targeting walleye in the river with many of the fish back out in the lake at that time of year. There’s always some fish to be found in the current areas and the lower harbor but most walleye guys will be out on the big lake pulling crankbaits and boards for eyes.

As far as guides go, again, most guides focus on Lake Superior. That said, I did run into Chris Edquist at the boat landing one time and we chatted briefly and he seemed like a nice guys. He had clients with him, they were fishing muskie, and they had landed at least one fish (my memory fails me on the details) and they seemed to be in great spirits. Outside of that… I got ‘nuttin. If you wanted info on a charter boat trip for salmon and trout on Superior that would be a different story.

Here’s Chris’ info >>> http://www.questfishing.com/

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Chris Edquist for sure. Quest Fishing is the name of his business. Great guy, went out with him last year early July fishing in the bay and we probably had a 30 fish morning trolling crank baits.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Chris Edquist for sure. Quest Fishing is the name of his business. Great guy, went out with him last year early July fishing in the bay and we probably had a 30 fish morning trolling crank baits.

Thanks for the info, Tim. Everything about Chris, from the short time we chatted, told me he was legit.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

No problem, funny thing I just realized is that my avatar picture is from that morning fishing with Chris!! Haha. That one was pushing 25 inches if I remember correctly.

eyellaw10

Thanks guys! Just booked him! will report

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks guys! Just booked him! will report

Ask Chris is he remembers talking to a couple guys in a big Skeeter three summers ago. We’ll see how good his memory is.

eyellaw10

I sure will! Any chance of doing a show next season on a metro lake such as Minnetonka?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I sure will! Any chance of doing a show next season on a metro lake such as Minnetonka?

I’ll make no promises because the weather and bite is always messing with things but our plan is to do one open water show and one ice show from the metro for this coming broadcast season.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Hope you guys do well, the bite has been picking up a bit in the river after a slow week or so for myself. Not much to speak of on Superior yet, will be checking that out in an hour or so. I’m sure you’ll have a good time with Chris, seems like a good dude.

eyellaw10

Had a great morning on Wednesday with Chris and a buddy of mine out on the river. We fished from 6am to 11:30am. Chris did a great job about talking about where we were going to fish, the method and why. He even talked about how things change throughout the season. Also picked up tips to try in the metro.

Got to his first spot and never left it. Walleyes were plentiful and even caught a couple other fish to make it multiple species! We boated enough walleye to run out of bait! Not Chris’s fault that we ran out – he went a bit over on time due to all the fun! Which was appreciated of him! He was very attentive of all lines being run and totally maximized the number of live poles as bait or rigs needed to be replaced. Even at times when we had doubles and triples going.

It was about us catching the fish not him!

I highly recommend him for a fun and productive outing. Hope to do it again next year!

By the way James, he knows you from the tv show not the Skeeter! But thanks for the awesome tip on him!

Northlander
    Duluth, Mn/Superior,Wi.

Chris is a great guy and guide. Another guide thats been on the river guiding longer than anyone and is a great knowledgable guy is Charlie Nelson owner of Nelsons guide service. Both guys are fellow TPWA members and know the bite as well as anyone. I see Chris may be getting a new boat. Charlie runs a 20′ Lund tiller wich is awesome for the river. Tons of room in that baby.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.