Green Lake Report

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I spent the last two weekends prefishing for and fishing the the 28th annual Little Crow Anglers Walleye tournament. Memorial weekend we found some nice 16-22″ fish concentrated off a weedline in 25-35 fow. This was a shoreline break that had been pounded by waves for the 2 previous days. We rigged minnows, leeches, and nightcrawlers through this area with success on each. We also found some nice fish concentrated in 20-25 fow on the edge of a main lake flat. As always in this area, we pulled in Smallmouth, Largemouth, rock bass, and the occasional walleye. I left the lake Monday feeling very good about things. Friday mourning we showed up for some more prefishing. We didn’t spend a lot of time fishing, but we caught fish in most of the places we tried. On Day 1 of the tourney the fish had disappeared from spot 1. All we could get going were little dinks. I was marking so many fish that I couldn’t leave this spot. We caught fish rigging, jigging, and slip bobbering, but nothing over the 14 inch minimum. By this time the lake was like glass, so we headed for some deeper water. I pulled up just in time to see my Uncle stick a 24″ walleye and a little later my brother hooked a nice 21″. We finished day 1 with one weigh fish and 15 walleyes too small. Sunday morning we showed up at our number 1 spot and marked fish all over. My brother and I had a double almost instantly. Unfortunately, my brother had a 18″ Smallie and mine taped out at 20″. Nice fish, but not what we were looking for. We moved a little deeper and I connected with another hefty Smallie. We moved several times and all we found were some smaller fish.

The tournament was won with about 31 lbs. The top 10 teams all had over 20 lbs. We obviously didn’t do well, but I can’t say we didn’t catch fish. I caught my personal best Smallmouth and Largemouth this weekend. I also netted a Smallmouth for my Uncle that went 6 lbs. We caught Rock bass, bluegill, perch, Northerns, and atleast 50 10-15″ walleyes over the last two weekends. It looks like it is going to be another great bass fishing year. I’ll be out chasing bass and walleye on Green again in a few weeks.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Too bad about the tourney. Go figure… prefish all you want… but conditions change, and plans might as well fly out of the boat. Nice report! Thanks!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Dan,
    Too bad you could not hook up with a few more Walleyes, but sounded like some real quality SM, that I know were fun, but not during a Walleye tourney.
    have a good year.
    Jack.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.