New Smallie regs on Green Lake?

• Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Watching the news tonight on Channel 5, they said that the DNR has changed the regulations for Smallies on Green Lake near Spicer. They said that you could keep a limit of 6 Smallies because the DNR wants to reduce their population to make more room for Walleyes. Can this be true?
    Now this is Channel 5, that same station that yesterday had a story about Grouse season and showed us pictures of Hungarian Partridge running around inside of a pen. They also played the 1812 Overture when talking about the 4th of July (Hello Cyndy, 1812 Overture written by a Russian guy to commemorate the defeat of the French). Several years ago they ran a story about the opener of Walleye season and had a picture of a Bass int eh background, so there’s good chance they scrambled whatever the DNR told them.

I hope this isn’t true. If it is, the DNR needs to take off the blinders. Every lake doesn’t have to be managed for Walleyes..

Rootski

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Hi Steve,
    I hope you are feeling better..
    As far as Green lake SMB, there was an article in the Trib today on Green lake. the Walleye fisherman it looks like, pressured the DNR to drop the SM regs to try and build back up the walleye population. Just like Mille Lacs, I feel the two fisheries can exist together. but the walleye guys don’t think so. probably the biggest reason the walleyes have dropped in numbers, is that people out there for the most part do not release most of their walleye catch. sure hope they don’t go fishing for SM now, and just kill them now that they can, but it is very sad that many out there will.
    Jack..

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

The Walleye fisherman it looks like, pressured the DNR to drop the SM regs to try and build back up the walleye population.

I hope it doesn’t work this way. I’d like to think that the DNR makes informed decisions based on science and experience, not pressure from resorters or locals. Wow.

Mille Lacs is a great example by the way. Two exceptional populations coexisting in the same lake. Vermillion is another example, as well as Rainy, LOTW, and dozens of others.

How about some evidence that Smallies have any negative impact on Walleye populations? I’m used to having Walleye fishermen throw rocks at the Musky guys, but Small mouth? What’s next, Bluegills?

Rootski

fishinallday
    Participant
    Montrose Mn

The DNR making informed decisions?

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Steve,
    Did you read the Trib article on Wed?????
    you should.
    Jack..

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

The regs did change this year and the state regulations are in place. I think there are more factors that played into the DNRs decisions. I attended one of a couple public hearings last fall and there was much more bass supporters than walleye supporters, so I don’t think a bunch of walleye anglers are to blame. In the last six years I have seen the smallie and rock bass populations explode. In the same span of time the crawfish and baitfish population has disappeared. The walleye fishing has also gotten tougher. I am not saying there are less fish, but I catch 3 bass to every one walleye. Sometimes this even happens in water 40 feet deep.

For a bass enthusiast Green is currently the best lake in the state. For an all around fishing experience, I believe it has gone down hill. Before the bass regs, my brother and I would take the row boat out and catch nice largemouth, smallies, walleyes, crappies, and bluegills. Now that I have a boat with a motor and good electronics I can only catch bass, bass, and more bass in these same spots. In the last few years, I have learned a lot more about the lake and I still have smallies and rock bass making up more than 3/4 of my catch. All I am trying to say is that the lake is not balanced, and that makes it unhealthy.

I thought the arcticle in the trib was shortsighted and a bad representation of what myself and others I talk to on the lake are really feeling.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Good info BigFife.

Like I said in my earlier post, I wouldn’t trust that local TV news outlet to get things right much less adequately explain the dynamics of a lake like Green. Thanks for the report!

Rootski

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.