Green Lake Walleyes

• Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I just spent the night fishing Green for the first time in a long time and the first time I’ve ice fished it. The goal was to catch a few eyes but after hearing the local chatter it didn’t sound very promising. With a solid 16 inches of ice it was nice to leave the wheeler in the back of the truck.

People are pretty much driving trucks and big houses everywhere and the ice is great for driving.

I hopped on the GPS, found a big piece of structure, and from there found a point that looked fishy. We arrived just before dark and got set up in 16-17 fow, with the first few hours fishless. It wasn’t until nearly 1030 when the first bite came on a rattle reel tipped with a small shiner. A perfect 19″. After getting back from the local watering hole I settled in for the night.

As it turns out it was a night with a few interruptions. Between the rock bass and the eyes, it seemed like I was on my feet quite often.

The strongest bite seemed to be from 1 am to 4 am with a non existent dawn bite. Ended up icing 3 perfect eyes and releasing 4 more fish from 20-23in. I also had a quite a few fish drop the single #4 treble and ended up opting for a #4 octopus and it seemed like they would hold it. Shiners definitely were the ticket, as my fathead sets came up with nothing.

Now for a day of chasing flags!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2015-01-03-08-41-11.png

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Nice report! Is this Green Lake near Chisago or another Green Lake elsewhere?

Hardwater Havoc
    Participant

I used to fish this exact spot, however in 27-28 ft of water. There was an exact line of weeds which is pretty typical for that depth throughout the lake. Can I ask, why you chose to fish in that 16-17 ft versus deeper on the weed edge? I have fished that lake pretty much primarily for last few years and have struggled to find a consistent walleye bite. Now with the zebra mussels and the incredibly clear water, I’m thinking you are going to be finding a night bite to be more common????

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

This lake reminded me so much of fishing lake Minnetonka. During the winter, the night bite has always been strong. In terms of the structure, weed growth and water clarity. In terms of weed growth, in this spot 16-17 was right on the weed edge. It was a little rocky shelf right before it dumped into 30 fow.

I haven’t fished it enough to know if the weed edge is deeper, it could have been an anomaly. It’s possible it was a pocket. But I’m guessing due to how steeply it dropped off, and how rocky it was after 15-16 feet there wasn’t going to be any weed growth.

Hardwater Havoc
    Participant

Generally throughout the lake it seems you will find weeds to about 26-28 ft. and I have found and anything deeper than that, they seem to be harder to find. It is actually quite common to find pockets in those weeds however, where the weeds are a bit spotty.
    This past ice season it seemed the water was as clear as I have ever seen it and noticed that i caught most of my fish after dark as well. I’m not sure if it has something to do with the zebra mussels becoming more prevalent? And yes, shiners seem to outperform fatheads by far in my experience. There are some guys that fish that lake hard and are alot better at finding fish than I am though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.