Green Lake Bass

• mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I’ve never fished Green Lake before and we have a bass tourney there in a couple weeks. I’ll be pre-fishing this weekend but do I go after smallies or largies? What usually wins out there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!

pullintubes

If it’s Green Lake in Spicer, than you should target smallmouth. Throw a drops shot on deep ledges. Around 30 feet.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

The largemouth are bigger, if you can find them. The smallmouth are a lot easier to find.

If you want to try to win, hunt for the largemouth, but that is kinda a all-or-nothing proposition. You will have a better chance of a good bag targeting smallies.

And I have also had good luck with surface baits this time of the year on the top of reefs. That is kinda hit & miss too, but if they are on, it will be a blast!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It use to be that tourneys out there were won on SM. but in the last few years there have been a lot of quality LM showing up at weighins and big bass is usually won by a LM. This time of the year I’d fish a Topwater bait over the top of most any of the mainlake reefs. If the topwater bit is not on I’d fish a Dropshot or Texas rig on the deeper weed edges off of the mainlake reefs. You can also fish any larger boulders in the shallower water – fish them with a tube bait. Most any large boulder most likely will have a SM next to it. For the large LM bass I’d flip any decent foil clumps you may find. Good luck out there. Let us know how you do.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Thank you to all for the help! And yes I will let you know how we do! )

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

So..prefished 2 days. saw a few smallies shallow. Only one taker. Lots of smaller largemouth. Only managed about a dozen keeper fish. Pretty much junk fishing..meaning throwing everything at them. Work tops of flats in 15 FOW to 25 FOW… and docks. and millfoil…No real solid pattern. Might have to be a milk run. Shallow rocks didn’t hold many fish. And for the amount of press the lake gets for smallies we didn’t see many? HHHmm…. I know I’m missing something. Guess we’ll see this Saturday.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Anyone know where the Lone Oak bar is on Green Lake? I can’t find a map online that shows it?

HowieT
    Eden Prairie,MN

Lone Tree is on the north side of the lake, just east of the center of the lake.
    There are buoys that come out from the shore.
    Your lake map chip should show it.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

It does I just don’t have it here at work. And can’t find it on a map in the internet. But thank you I think I see where it’s at now.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The smallie population has fallen way off out there over the last 5 or so years. They are not real welcome by the local Walleye fisherman. I’ve been told by more than a few walleye fisherman out there that they fillet or BONK every one they catch. I have personally seen this action on more than a few occasions. Kind of sad but like on other lakes they want to blame the smallmouth when their population of walleyes falls off – Ever though there is O proof that they are the cause of the issue. Keep a topwater tied on at all times. Keep a eye around you when fishing. If you see any surface activity around you at any time get over there right away. Those topwater feedings can start at anytime and almost anyplace on that lake. It usually is a short window, but if you can get on it you can catch a big bag of fish real fast. Good luck at the tourney

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

fishthumper..thanx for the info! We did see this once out there. I always have a pop’r tied on it. But the most effective pattern we found was a drop shot. 1 foot leader. A mix of rockies and largies. Crank bait and heavy jig (in the millfoil) got biggest fish. But numbers for sure on the drop shot in 15-25 FOW.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Still lots of Rock bass out there. They were way bad back when I use to fish Green a fair amount. Kind had hoped they would have gone away by now – No luck it sounds like. See Private message

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

ended up 6th out of 21 boats. 12.58 for 5 fish. First was 14.96. we had all largies. Most had mixed smallies and largies. We lost a good one that would have put us in the money. They paid down 4 places. Big bass was 3.96. We caught most fish on drop shop.. main lake humps..14-15 FOW. Smallies were caught up by Lone tree Bar. We never got to fish that. Main thing was we had fun! And my fiance wants to fish the next one (Fishers of Men Tourney) on Whitefish where I have considerably more time on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.