Green bay spring fishing

• tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Does anyone have any experience with fishing Greenbay in the spring? Do you have to go far out into the bay to get to the fish? Main concern is getting caught in monster waves. Watched some videos and seems you might have a shot at a monster eye and only 4 1/2 hours away seems pretty attractive.

walleyesforme

I’m by far no expert but we went for the first time last spring. We mainly pulled large stick baits in shallow water on boards near the mouths of the rivers. You won’t be disappointed if you go.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Search for I think at least one or more episodes of IDO where the team is on the west shore as the ice is leaving… fishing very shallow. That time of the year can be so fun and rewarding…. and any modest west wind id doable. Right as ice comes off at river mouths, or even after the regular season opens up in close in warm water can be a bunch of fun.

We’ve done the trolling thing… but casting plastics, cranks, blade baits and rippin raps would be my go to before trolling if possible. I’ve caught brown trout and pike in addition to the walleye on several trips. My few trips have all been out of the Oconto area and north. Been stuck on Lake Erie the last coupe years, but being this is just a few hours from home, I’ll return this year again.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Timing is everything.

If you time it right, you can find them in the tributary rivers like the Fox, Peshtigo, etc. Sometimes they are still out in the bay. You don’t have to typically go too far (at least I haven’t) to catch fish. But again, it all depends on the timing. I’ve missed a great bite by a day the last two springs I’ve gone. Weather will throw a wrench in the bite quickly as well.

ThunderLund78

I bet if you comb the John Gillespie archives you could find an episode or two on Spring fishing in GB. He’s basically always fishing with a guide or resort owner, but can get you pointed in the right direction on areas, depths, presentations.

Buckeye1

Timing is everything.

If you time it right, you can find them in the tributary rivers like the Fox, Peshtigo, etc. Sometimes they are still out in the bay. You don’t have to typically go too far (at least I haven’t) to catch fish. But again, it all depends on the timing. I’ve missed a great bite by a day the last two springs I’ve gone. Weather will throw a wrench in the bite quickly as well.

This right here. Had one of my best days fishing there. Had many a day or two early or late.

Ripjiggen

Simple don’t go out in high winds or a wind not out of the west.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Great question. April 1st we head to Erie to fish for a week (maybe get out 50% of the days). A lot of people say why are you going there when you can go to Green Bay for the same thing. I am not so sure it’s the same. Last year 3 guys fishing 3 days caught 29 walleyes @ 150#’s. I don’t know but am interested in the answer as I understand it Erie walleye schools can be miles wide.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

I bet if you comb the John Gillespie archives you could find an episode or two on Spring fishing in GB. He’s basically always fishing with a guide or resort owner, but can get you pointed in the right direction on areas, depths, presentations.

I can hear the screaming now

Fowldreams55398

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>

Get the Johnsonville’s ! Nothing better than these Johnsonville brats! Can’t stand that guy.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>

rotflol

ThunderLund78

Ha! Sorry, didn’t mean to turn this into a JG ripping thread. But it’s hard not to go there once he’s in the conversation.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Good advice. I know not to go out in high winds but didn’t know about the wind out of the west. Was worried you get out to far and the wind picks up unexpectedly.

Got some time to sit down and watch some you tube videos and this is what I think I have learned so far. 1. Don’t need to get very far out from shore at all. Most shows you could see shore line not to far away. 2. Time of year. Pre spawn March to April post April into May. Difference of opinion on if pre or post was a better time to fish. Heavier fish pre. 3. Oconto comes up a lot. I heard the sand flats mentioned several times is this an Oconto thing or are there sand flats out of Green bay also? For people who have been there Oconto or Green bay? Looks like more lodging available in Green Bay.

So I think I will give it a try. I driven farther to try and catch a 30″ walleye. I will report what happens. Thanks for all who replied!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Good advice. I know not to go out in high winds but didn’t know about the wind out of the west. Was worried you get out to far and the wind picks up unexpectedly.

Got some time to sit down and watch some you tube videos and this is what I think I have learned so far. 1. Don’t need to get very far out from shore at all. Most shows you could see shore line not to far away. 2. Time of year. Pre spawn March to April post April into May. Difference of opinion on if pre or post was a better time to fish. Heavier fish pre. 3. Oconto comes up a lot. I heard the sand flats mentioned several times is this an Oconto thing or are there sand flats out of Green bay also? For people who have been there Oconto or Green bay? Looks like more lodging available in Green Bay.

So I think I will give it a try. I driven farther to try and catch a 30″ walleye. I will report what happens. Thanks for all who replied!

Again, it will depend on the bite when you get there. The times I’ve gone over, we have fished all of them to see which one they are in. Sometimes they all are holding fish, sometimes only one is. Sometime they are only out in the bay. Ask around and see if you can get good info a day or two before you leave and then start eliminating water.

Ripjiggen

You will definitely have a longer boat ride out of Green Bay. Just get a good wind app and keep an eye on the direction.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Timing is definitely everything out there. I’ve fished Paul Delaney for the last 7 or 8 years out there. One time we hit right in the spring and caught a lot of fish with the smallest at 22″ and biggest at 29.5″. Other years it’s been kind of slow but you will probably still catch some big fish. We go in the summer now because it’s a little more consistent. We were always pitching jigs or rippin raps.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Stay in GB and trailer to Suamico or Oconto. NW and N winds are your friend. Any winds different than those 10 MPH max with small boats. SW, E,or NE are the worst directions.
    Post pics if you hit it right.

abster71
    crawford county WI

Will be my first time this year and everything I’ve read is timing is key Ice out. Hard to plan with a work schedule so asked around average time and was told first second week of april. So I booked a place for april 8-12th Now we are getting warmer temps and I see the ice is breaking up already on areal view. So booked another place for march 12-16th. We’ll have to see how it goes but the blood is pumping that we hit it with some decent action.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Good luck Abster! Let us know how you did. Great call out Jon! My first day of retirement is March 1st so really pumped about getting out in the middle of the week on pool 4 and I should be able to pick up and go whenever I get any good reports coming out of Green bay. Your link to the ramp is great! I will everyone know if I get lucky and hit it right.

grpubl7
    Central WI

About ’74 a DNR fisheries man up in Peshtigo told me that right after ice out at what they call “Peshtigo Harbor” is the place to look for state record size Northern Pike. Basically at the mouth of the river.

I do recall seeing some mighty big gators lumbering in the water at the dam in Peshtigo before ice out.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Just don’t keep any perch if you go. There are some nice ones in there that hit walleye lures but there is a “Perch Season” in the Spring over there…….Never heard of one of those before. Don’t ask me how I found out. doah

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Just don’t keep any perch if you go. There are some nice ones in there that hit <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye lures but there is a “Perch Season” in the Spring over there…….Never heard of one of those before. Don’t ask me how I found out. doah

mahto:

Do they call that “experience”???

Mark

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.