Great Lake Erie SW Shore?

• Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

I’m seeing the wind/wave reports.
    I’ve seen the satellite photos. It looks like chocolate milk, really muddy.
    https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.18097.1801.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

A friend of mine that charters there has moved on for construction work to New York City.
    I’m still “On a good to launch” trip mid week till the end of week.

Here’s my Question?

I’m wondering if We should be looking to drive to the NW close to the Detroit River, or towards Cleveland then fish to the North and East?

We are staying @ Camp Perry, it is just West of Port Clinton a couple of miles.

This is my first trip there as I’ve been dreaming to go there for 20 to 30 years!
    So What Say You of IDO?

snelson223
    Participant
    Austin MN

We are supposed to be out there the same time. We have a guide lined up but the way the weather looks towards the end of the week not sure if this trip will happen. We have been trying to get out there for 3 years but the weather doesn’t want to cooperate.

bowtecmike
    Participant
    Zimmerman mn

I was out last week for 2 days in port Clinton. Had a blow day before I got there and the day I left. Fishing wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad. Pulled a 2 man limit both days and ended with four big girls a 28.5” 29” 30” & 30.5” all over 9lbs. If you learn this lake well enough you can still get fish when it’s dirty but it’s not nearly as easy. If you want any info PM me. I’d be happy to help the best I can.

Attachments:
    1. 9428191C-940F-4E3F-85E0-978D6E711156.jpeg

2. 00E250D8-3D6C-4121-A363-6FA06122F180.jpeg

3. EC644742-E810-42A6-8A26-30F4DC5AEA98.jpeg

David Blais
    Participant

We are heading out in a few weeks. May 1st. If you have any pointers or tips. I’d appreciate it

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Denny,my brother,Mxskeeter is out on the Detroit river as we speak.I will post hoe how he is doing if that helps you decide.

bowtecmike
    Participant
    Zimmerman mn

Bandits and P 10s were equally good last week by May 1st I would also bring spinners and have them ready!

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

I appreciate the information gentlemen! We are undecided at this point, we will make the call tomorrow. We were planning to be @ Erie mid day Wednesday and return home Sunday.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I had plans for the same time frame and same area…. solo, so pulled the plug as I really didn’t want to get stuck on shore. Bummed, as I had the same luck pulling the trigger last year.

Really wanted a trip where I could do both some jigging and trolling cranks.

Iwindsurf has an app for getting more accurate wind info on your phone.

Good luck if you go, let us know how it works out if there.

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Heard the fishing was good,no double digit fish but some in the 8 pound class.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Thanks Chucks’

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

We are supposed to be out there the same time. We have a guide lined up but the way the weather looks towards the end of the week not sure if this trip will happen. We have been trying to get out there for 3 years but the weather doesn’t want to cooperate.

I hope the weather changes for the better as well! We are leaving Friday evening with the boats in tow. We’ll be fishing (hopefully) Saturday too Saturday. We haul the boats and our gear and plan for the whole week because the weather in April can be from one extreme to another. Muddy water doesn’t worry us too much but it definitely helps to have some cleaner water. I’m just hoping the wind doesn’t blow for 8 days..

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Well, for our time line and from the advice I received, we scraped our trip, sigh. Plan for next year now.

We may shift gears and head for Red Wing and make it a shorter trip for the end of the week. My 3rd partner is still working so it will not take as much vacation away from him.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.