Got back Saturday

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Spent all of last week at Voyageur Park Lodge. We had a great time. Water temp was in the Mid 60’s and weather was cooler. On Monday, my wife and I went out with a local guide Tim Watson. Wind kept us off of the reefs. We fished wind blown bays right at the weed edge. Started with Lindy’s but soon switched over to pitching jigs with minnows. Chartreuse worked the best. We caught a good mix of Walleyes and Northerns in the weeds. Biggest problem was we couldn’t find any eater fish. We only had 3 walleye under 17. Average fish was around 20. MY biggest was 23, and Tim got a nice 25 inch walleye. My wife had a nice fat 22 inch walleye. The last day we spent some time in Tom Cod Bay. Got some nice fish there. May Fly’s were beginning to hatch.

Attachments:
    1. Joey-an-Fish.jpg

2. Nice-Walleye.jpg

3. Walleye.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You had a good guide. Did he want to portage to Rainy? I need to fish Tom Cod more, there should be fish there I just haven’t put in the time. It’s a long run from Ash River area up there.

Glad you had fun, looks like Joey had a good time also!

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

We really stayed around the rock garden area. The wind dictated where we fished. We started in the narrows north of Camel back island then fished a bay on Cut Over Island ,and Anderson Bay. All of these had the wind blowing into them and we stayed just outside the weed edges. We went to Tom Cod a few days later when we didn’t want to run across the lake. We found fish in all depths. 5-8 feet of water but people were out deeper and catching fish. Shiners and May flys were there. We found a great spot between the Grassy Islands and Zollner Island. Kids liked it because there was a beaver they could watch while we fished as well as an eagle nest. Again we would stop once we saw the weeds thin out and start casting into the area. The day after the wind was going into those areas was better. We rented a pontoon so only hit one reef. On a calm day we did have good luck in about 19 feet of water with jigs on the reef. Hopefully we will make this a regular vacation.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Fun trip. You can hit that bunch of lakes every year for 10 years and still find it new and exciting. Lots of areas to fish, lots of wildlife to see.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

We stayed at Moosehorn right next door. We spent most of our time at Sucker Creek and caught plenty over 17 inches in 8 feet of water using minnows and spinner rigs. We had a tough time catching walleyes small enough to keep. One day during the rain they nailed a lot of nice eaters and a few nice ones off the dock using slip bobbers and leaches. We were the sober loud boat at the lodge. Hopefully we didn’t annoy to many folks at you lodge.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

We were the pontoon boat with two little kids. Didn’t bother us at all. Good to hear that everyone was doing well. It appears to be a great lake.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.