Got a slip in Minnetonka for the summer

• queenswake
    NULL

Just wanted to share something I’m excited about. After realizing trailering was causing much fewer trips out than I wanted to, we finally decided to look for a slip this year. And I just lucked out and got one. Covered with power in a protected lagoon. Now I can decide to go out on a Tuesday evening and can since it will be easy and worth it. Just bring cooler, rods, tackle and hop on and go. No lines at ramps, no covering boat, no dropping boat off at storage place.

The boat is a tritoon geared first for fishing and we also use it for the typical Minnetonka pleasure boat activities so we will do all of that as well. We don’t have a cabin, so until we get one, this is our summer escape.

I have a love-hate relationship with Minnetonka, but in terms of fishing, we do very well there even during peak summer with jet skis and wake boats circling around us. Catch a lot of walleye even. And the shoulder seasons are great before the wake boats get out.

Pumped to do a ton more fishing this summer.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo waytogo good fer ya!! yay

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Enjoy it!

We’ve got a fishing boat and a tritoon. My wife admittedly takes the tritoon out and runs it more than I do with work. She will back in a 17’ fishing boat and launch it, but wanted nothing to do with that and loading a 23.5’ tritoon. After a summer of angrily dropping everything to launch her when I couldn’t go with, I gave in and agreed to a slip.

The tritoon now gets used probably 3x as often. I’m not big on dealing with the water scum build up, but I pull it twice a summer + fall and acid wash it

FinickyFish

Private or one of the public slips? I’ve always thought is was a long wait on the public so guessing private.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The accesses are what keep me off that lake between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The lines are 20 deep with people who are often clueless. If I had a dock or slip, I’d take full advantage of it too. Good luck with it this season.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

The accesses are what keep me off that lake between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The lines are 20 deep with people who are often clueless. If I had a dock or slip, I’d take full advantage of it too. Good luck with it this season.

you just go to the wrong accesses!! grin I rarely seer but 1 or 2 and enjoy bs’ing with them waytogo

deertracker

It’s going to be a great summer for you. Congrats! waytogo
    DT

B-man

Slips are awesome waytogo

A couple years ago I had a month long job in Green Bay. I brought the Grady over to Kewaunee and the guys and I salmon fished every day after work. The convenience is priceless.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Make sure you have your magnesium anodes on motor and hull installed and clean.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

One of the perks of living in mound is they have a dock program for residents. $20 a year to be on the list. When your name is called you get a slip in town for around $350 a year. I’m currently about #100 on the list. Should get offered a slip in the next few years I’m hoping.

Enjoy your slip!

ThunderLund78

I have a co-worker who has a slip and they love it. Super-convenient. The ramp takes up so much of your time when you might only have a few hours and just not having to deal with things you can’t control like inconsiderate or downright ignorant people loading and unloading on a big metro lake like that is worth it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Super-convenient. The ramp takes up so much of your time when you might only have a few hours and just not having to deal with things you can’t control like inconsiderate or downright ignorant people loading and unloading on a big metro lake like that is worth it.

Out there, this is exactly how I feel. Its not even worth it on a nice day in the summer time. Unless its cloudy or raining. That keeps a lot of riff raff off the lake.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Slip on Tonka $6000 a year?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Congrats! Some friends have one on Waconia, and it’s pretty dang convenient especially with kids.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m interested to hear what others pay or know about prices out there.

I haven’t been sent our contract for this year yet (expecting a price hike), but I believe it was $1800 or $1900 last year for an uncovered slip from May 1 – October 1st on the river. We don’t utilize any of the things that come with it (showers, lounge, or even storage on the docks) but it’s still worth it for us.

A couple years ago their contracts were next to nothing from a restrictive perspective, and a couple families took 7 or 8 slips off the waiting list and just flipped them for a $300 hike each to sublease them. Since that situation, it’s contractually forbidden now. I think the waiting list to get a slip where our tritoon is at for uncovered is only a year or two, but covered ones at the nearby marina are at least 5 years on average. They were even longer back in 2018-2020, but gas prices last year drove a few people away.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

bigcrappie wrote:

I’m interested to hear what others pay or know about prices out there.

my buddy pays 6k a year for a slip next to the brewery in town. He has a 26 or 28ft boat

queenswake
    NULL

Yep, it is from a private homeowner who — get this — doesn’t even have a boat himself in the water. Instead, he has a 47 footer on the St Croix. I cannot imaging paying the taxes to be on the lake only to not have a boat on it.

5K. I think any more than that and we’d be questioning it more. A lot of other places I’ve seen were 7K. But 5K for May 1 – Oct 31 is a pretty good deal I think. Maybe with all of this snow we will luck out with a no-wake summer like we had a few years ago. Even better.

queenswake
    NULL

One of the perks of living in mound is they have a dock program for residents. $20 a year to be on the list. When your name is called you get a slip in town for around $350 a year. I’m currently about #100 on the list. Should get offered a slip in the next few years I’m hoping.

Enjoy your slip!

Yep, I have spent a lot of time walking around the Wayzata lagoon slips and those in Excelsior and jealous of the homeowners in those towns who had the chance to get one and for cheap. Dang is the list long though. I’m sure it only got longer during the pandemic when everyone bought boats.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.