Gold Jig Paint

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

What’s the best gold powder paint for jigs? I usually dip in a fluid bed. I’ve seen a few different types but can’t get a handle on what the finished paint job would look like. Thanks in advance.

Jimmy Jones

If you’re looking for a “gold plate” type of finish, you’ll be disappointed with any of the powders.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve done a lot of gold powder. Honestly, it’s a pain. But, you can get incredibly perfect gold plated look with the correct base coating.

I’ve talked many times with the folks at all powder paint and they’ve been very knowledgeable. I do better on a little off colored gold on my blade baits, so really can’t give you a specific formula.
    Call these guys and tell them what you want for an end result.

https://www.allpowderpaints.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_str=Gold

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Randy, is All Powder applied the traditional way ? Heat and dip ?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

You can apply powder just about any way you want. Dip in jug, fluid bed, air brush….

The key to powders is all in curing the base layers. Some cure at 325 for 11 minutes, some cure at 435 for 18 minutes. That’s the substrate of what your painting, not the exterior of the paint

Jimmy Jones

Pretty much, or sprayed. When using these candy colors, the fresher, shinier the casting, the better the results.

I’ve been toying with foiling some of my jigs with gold leaf so they can look like gold plating. I’m going to make a couple silicone “presses” to foil ball heads soon.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Not to hijack the thread but I’ve recently bought a bunch of unfinished jigs to try and start doing my own colors. Is the pro-tec powder paint the best way to go with out spraying gear? Do you put a clear coat on top?

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Protec is good. If you are going to dip jigs I’d start out by building a fluid bed. A ton of videos on Google. I wish I would have gone with a fluid bed when I first started dipping. Cure properly and you don’t need a clear coat on top.

Jimmy Jones

Pro-tec is a great paint. Keep the paint in the jars stirred well, like after every ten jigs, to keep it lofty and fluffy. If you notice a jig having too much paint or you see a sag in the paint, time to stir it. If a paint consistently is too thick on the jig, thin the color with clear but do not go beyond a 50-50 mix.
    Clear is simply a pigmentless paint and its the pigments in the colors that can be an issue. White is the worst of the worst colors for being pigment laden and needs to be kept fluffed up very very often.

basseyes

Have yet to find a good plane gold powder coat. Use the disco gold but it’s definitely not a shinny solid gold.

BfishN tackle has a great looking gold jig. The hook is covered in gold paint though. Not sure if that’s a powder coating or not? Looks great but that hook definitely needs to be sharpened to get the paint off the point of the hook.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.