Glide lite – Sled Mod update

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I purchased a Glide lite sled to use for early and late ice use. I decided to do a few modifications to it. I started with adding rod tubes ( With Help from Craig Sery – Thanks Craig ). I drimmel tooled a slot in the rod tubes and now need to drimmel a slot at 90 Deg. to lock the rods in so the will not possibly fall out – I was going to go with Velcro but I think this plan will work even better. Next I added a support to hold the K-Drill. The support is easy to remove if it is not needed. Next up is to add a Plexy Glass cover to the storage tray in the front. I have the plexy cut and the hinge purchased – Now just need to mount it. I think I’m going to use a few magnets or some Velcro to help keep it from possibly bouncing open. After that I’m thinking about mounting a pair of Ski’s to the bottom – Mostly to just make it a little more stable. I also want to add a lite bar and battery box at some point. Kind of a cool ice sled and fun to play around with getting it fixed up.

Attachments:
    1. Glidelite-Mod-2.jpg

2. Glidelite-Mod-1.png

broman

Which way do you sit on this? Asking because it looks like every direction has stuff in the way. Or do you sit where the auger is and take it off when fishing?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yes the auger has to come off to use the seat. Once that is off you can sit on it several different way. Will most likely sit facing away from the rod tubes.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

One comment is I think that using a polycarbonate would work better than the plexiglass. Way, way less brittle or even a nylon from the food service industry. Something like what would be used in a cooler to help divide items. Cold weather is an issue with plexiglass.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One comment is I think that using a polycarbonate would work better than the plexiglass. Way, way less brittle or even a nylon from the food service industry. Something like what would be used in a cooler to help divide items. Cold weather is an issue with plexiglass.

Thanks for the thought. I had a piece of Plexi laying around that was just about the perfect size. I may give it a try. If it breaks it will be easy to remove it and use a better material the next time

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Looks nice! Glad the brackets worked for you. How did you mount the auger supports? BTW, great idea on the 90 degree slot…I never thought of that. I tried the Velcro and it didn’t hold up.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Looks nice! Glad the brackets worked for you. How did you mount the auger supports? BTW, great idea on the 90 degree slot…I never thought of that. I tried the Velcro and it didn’t hold up.

Back support – used 1 1/4 pvc pipe. Electrical tape for a slight taper – fit right into center rod hole. Auger nd a T fitting cut in half

Front support – I believe a 2” straight coupler bolder to the sled with a single bolt threw the lower part and a u bolt around the upper. What ever size pvc pipe that fit snug inside. I believe it’s a 1 3/4 and once again a t fitting cut in half on the auger side

Both pull right out if you don’t need them

catmando
    wis

a slick looking rig, will your flasher fit under the seat? kind of reminds me of a frabil yellow sled I had,

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

a slick looking rig, will your flasher fit under the seat? kind of reminds me of a frabil yellow sled I had,

It is like the old yellow Frabil one. I believe that one also had poles and a wind block – This one does not. I can fit 2 flashers in the storage in front of the bucket – Now I just need to find a taller 6 Gallon bucket. Those are not real easy to find these days

Thomas Horn

That glide lite looks awesome! I’ve got one inside of my otter hideout one man. I want to mount four of those rods tubes or I guess pvc pipe to the side of mine so I don’t have to carry my rod case on the ice and my rods can just stay in my shack inside the tubes. Would you be willing to share with me some more details on how you made yours? Like the size of the tubes if they’re made of pvc or not? And how did you make the brackets that hold the four tubes together? Thanks again and it looks awesome!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That glide lite looks awesome! I’ve got one inside of my otter hideout one man. I want to mount four of those rods tubes or I guess pvc pipe to the side of mine so I don’t have to carry my rod case on the ice and my rods can just stay in my shack inside the tubes. Would you be willing to share with me some more details on how you made yours? Like the size of the tubes if they’re made of pvc or not? And how did you make the brackets that hold the four tubes together? Thanks again and it looks awesome!

Thomas – wish I could help you out more on the tubes but I didn’t make them. I purchased them from Craig Sery. At least the brackets. I believe the tubes are 1 1/4”. I don’t know the material name but it’s the black type. Lighter than PVC but almost as rigid – more than rigid enough looking at the brackets I believe the best way to make them would be to buy some material ( not sure of what kind ) cut a rectangle and use a drill press or hand dril and bore the holes then use a saw to cut in half. Turn on edge and drill mounting holes – it may be best to drill mounting holes before you cut in half. I hope this makes sense. Craig May be more helpful in saying how he made them. I’d message him. Real nice guy I’m sure he’d help you out. It is a nice light unit. I’ve used it a fair amount already and really like it

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Have you pulled it yet? Looks like it would tip with the auger being high and off center. I have the old frabil but just haven’t modified it yet

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Have you pulled it yet? Looks like it would tip with the auger being high and off center. I have the old frabil but just haven’t modified it yet

It pulls super easy. Not tippy at all. Real stable. I was thinking of adding skis to make it more stable but now not sure I really need it. I was surprised how stable it is. Pulled over rough terrain last outing and did not even get close to tipping over

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It doesn’t look like it in the pictures but the auger is mounted on center. Not much weight to the Kdrill at all helps

Looking good, what did you use to mount the Rod Tubes to the side of the sled? Looks like there is a purpose-made plastic piece there.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The bracket that holds the rod Tub’s were purchase from Craig Sery. I believe he has a machining background and make them. I wish I had better picture of them to share. The best way to describe it would be a 1/2 or so inch poly block that had holes milled or drilled into them. Then the poly block was cut in 1/2 and holes drilled on edge to mount with a bolt.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Thumper i got tired of looking for a taller bucket so i made one.I cut the top 8-10 inches off of a couple of buckets i had lying around and put them inside mf fishing bucket.I bolted them all together with two 1/4in bolts.Works great i now have around a 7 gallon seat.
    Nice sled by the way.

@fishthumper, what did you use to hold the pvc for the rod holders? It looks like some sort of purpose made pvc pipe strap or something.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

@fishthumper, what did you use to hold the pvc for the rod holders? It looks like some sort of purpose made pvc pipe strap or something.

See my reply above. I purchased them from another member here. ( Craig Sery ) He made them somehow. Not real sure with what or how. I know I could now make my own if needed, but they would not be near as nice as the one’s he made. He has far more machining skills that I do I’m sure. Not as fancy but I’m sure something as simple as this would probably work.

Attachments:
    1. Pipe-strap.png

2. u-bolts-product-image.jpg

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Thanks for the shout out Fishthumper! I appreciate you enjoy the craftsmanship, I’ve gotten a few PMs, unfortunately, I no longer have the free time at work to do “government” jobs. I believe I still have 3D models so anyone who has access to a CNC mill and software could import them. Just PM me an email address and a format and I’ll send them. BTW, you still using your sled?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thanks for the shout out Fishthumper! I appreciate you enjoy the craftsmanship, I’ve gotten a few PMs, unfortunately, I no longer have the free time at work to do “government” jobs. I believe I still have 3D models so anyone who has access to a CNC mill and software could import them. Just PM me an email address and a format and I’ll send them. BTW, you still using your sled?

Craig
    Yep still have and using the sled. Its funny how many people come up to me on the lake and ask about the set up. I know how it is with Jobs clamping down on
    ” government ” Jobs at work. I have a good friend who works for 3M and he say’s they are no longer able to work on things of their own even on their break time or before or after work hours. He’s getting close to retiring and is in the process of purchasing some machining equipment for his home shop. Do you remember what type of material you used for the brackets that I have?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

It was some sort of HDPE plastic I think. Not sure, was only black stuff we had laying around

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.