Glad I’m not in Buffalo

• Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

State of emergency issued for parts of New York ahead of Buffalo snowstorm
    New York Gov. Kathy Hochul declared a state of emergency in parts of western New York ahead of a potentially dangerous bout of lake effect snow.

The National Weather Service forecast up to 4 feet of snow or moreshock through Sunday that “may paralyze” the hardest-hit communities, including Buffalo, with periods of near-zero visibility. Hochul’s state of emergency covers 11 counties, with commercial truck traffic banned from a stretch of Interstate 90 surrounding Buffalo after 4 p.m. Thursday. The snowfall was expected to be at its greatest intensity between 7 p.m. Thursday and 7 p.m. Friday.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Ya that’s a lot of snow. Many areas around the Great Lakes will be receiving a significant amount of lake effect snow.

I can see why they moved the Browns-Bills game to Detroit. Simply attempting to get to the stadium would be problematic unless you had a dog sled team.

Charles
    Participant

Man that would be awesome to get 4′ of snow lol, Not this early in the year maybe around January

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

They’ve got plans and infrastructure in place. They will handle 4′ of snow much more smoothly than Atlanta or Northern Texas handles 2″ of snow.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah they have infrastructure and equipment it will still cripple them for a few days. You’re right about areas in the South though, a couple inches of snow there and they are downright shut down for days. Much of it is due to all the bridges they have and they are literally impossible to cross when iced up. Salt and sand trucks cannot get up and over them.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

i lived in way upstate NY for 4 years, the Tug Hill Plateau north of Syracuse is the snowiest region east of the Rockies due to all of the lake effect. it was such a great area for snowshoes and cross-country skiing, though you had to wear gaiters and were almost busting a new trail.

that said, 3-4′ at once is pretty dang tough to deal with – just no where to put it all to keep things open.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Just wait till the following day it will melt. whistling

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Do Buffalo and other cities in that area have different equipment than in Minnesota? More truck/tractor snowblowers maybe?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Just wait till the following day it will melt. whistling

It will be interesting to see the water ratio of this snow. I saw earlier this week Duluth Meteorologist posted the highest ratio they have had in recent memory was last year was 140:1. That is insane. I bet this event will be really high too. Typical snow for us non-lake effect is 10:1 or so.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Do Buffalo and other cities in that area have different equipment than in Minnesota? More truck/tractor snowblowers maybe?

Cant say about Buffalo as Ive never been there, but the UP has some different equipment than what you typically see here. Large implement style snowblowers that they use to clear the snow around intersections. Many people have snowblowers on their roof to blow the snow off too mainly if its a flat roof though.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

at those snow weights in such a short amount of time, how do they not avoid EVERY roof from collapsing?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

at those snow weights in such a short amount of time, how do they not avoid EVERY roof from collapsing?

Its the water ratio I am sure. Plus their codes are probably different than here Id guess. They typically get double the snow we do, but moisture content is far less.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I would not mind getting 4 ft of snow here. As long as it was the week before the thaw in spring. That kind of a run off sure would give a much needed jumpstart to our lakes and rivers and the famers would love it for sure

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

A snow week.I bet the shelves are empty….at the liquer stores.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Just saw some videos from the Bills stadium. Holy Hannah is it snowing!

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Large implement style snowblowers that they use to clear the snow around intersections.

x2 that’s what they use out West in the ski towns too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.